Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Recommend me a music production course…
  • Scapegoat

Hoping that someone here has experience of producing music.

I sing in a Male Voice Choir. Not many of the guys can read music, so they tend to learn best by hearing their part played or sung to them. Since the start of the pandemic we’ve had rehearsals via Zoom, at first to keep everyone singing, then as time has gone on we’ve got the guys to record their own parts and submit them for mixing into a complete mix.

The mechanics of this are that the accompanist records a backing track and sends it to me and a couple of the tenors. I record the bass and baritone parts using my mic and interface, export them as voice only audio files and send them back to the accompanist. She then adds them to the backing track and sends them out as “learning” tracks for the rest of the choir to sing along to and if they are able, to record their own voice.

This is where my request comes in. None of us are experienced or skilled enough to produce anything more than a rudimentary mix. I’ve applied for funding via a community grant to equip the other “soloists” with decent mics and interfaces, but once they can produce decent enough raw tracks we want to be able to mix them, and a couple of dozen other voices into a more professional sounding production.

I therefore want to access an online course to help me get the best out of my DAW. I currently use Audacity (Windows based) to record my own parts, and although I can do some basic enhancing/production, I’m only really tinkering. I don’t understand enough about manipulating audio to get the best out of it.

Has anyone got any recommendations for online learning? Cost isn’t really an issue, as I can divert some of the grant towards “training”, and from what I’ve seen from a quick Google search, the cost of the available training isn’t exorbitant anyway. Any pitfalls? Any to avoid?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Hello mate,

I mess around producing house & techno. A couple of the online learning places I’ve noticed over the years are Point Blank and SAE. I’m self taught so can’t speak from experience but they’ve both been going a while. PB especially do some great YouTube tutorials. I think they’re dance oriented but the rules are the same broadly.

All the best with it and reach out if you need help with anything specific.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Amazing timing!

I’m looking to do a course v soon…. I’m also into EDM, so was looking at the Toolroom course. Will start with a Crossfader course to up my mixing skills.

Will have a look at Point Blank too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a music production course…’ is closed to new replies.