• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Tom-B.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Recommend me a mid layer for hiking
  • Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

So, the future MiL very generously surprised me with a Patagonia Torrentshell for Xmas to replace my fairly warm out Paramo Velez

Even though it was the “Lite” version of the Paramo…it was still fairly hefty….a few years ago it did Snowndon in full winter conditions….-10 on the summit….according to MWIS it was -17 with wind hill. I was in a summer base layer and the Paramo!!! Thus, my hiking gear is based around a thin base layer, then a wind proof, the Paramo or a down jacket depending on conditions.

I wore the Torrentshell in the rain today for the first time and was freezing (I’m fairly warm blooded too) So what mid layer to go with it? I get 25% off at John Lewis so Arcteyrx is pretty affordable….open to suggestions though. Still got 150 Wainwrights to tick so that’ll be where it gets used most, year round usually. Also ski and snowboard a lot so potential crossover use there.

Premier Icon jam-bo

Atom LT.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Under a waterproof?
    Two thin fleeces. I tend to have one thinner and one thicker.
    https://alpkit.com/collections/mens-midlayers

Premier Icon dovebiker

Something made from Polartec Alpha – amazing warmth and wick-ability for something so thin and light

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Me and a few mates all ended up with Rab Nexus’ cos one of us got one and we all liked it so much.

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-fleece-c50/fleece-jackets-c230/nexus-jacket-p8653

Premier Icon malgrey
    Free Member

Similarly, the Alpkit Griffon works well for me. “”Grid fleece”; warm for the weight, quick drying, breathes very well, but not in the slightest bit windproof! There’s always another thin fleece or something thicker in the bag, depending on the conditions.

Premier Icon slowoldman

I’m still trying to wear out my years old Lowe Aleutian fleeces. If it’s proper cold I wear a Rab soft-shell over that, then wind/waterproof shell as required.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

^ eldest has one of those Rab Nexus. It’s nice.

Premier Icon nedrapier

Madison Zenith Hoodie. I’ve got 2 and wear them on the bike, round the house, gardening, hiking…

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, fleece.

Premier Icon db

Love my ME kore;
    https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/kore-jacket

I like a full length zip and find the ME fit better for my ‘rounded’ shape than Rab stuff.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

@Tom-B ….. John Lewis also sell Haglofs – it’s excellent kit!

Premier Icon mmcd

ATOM LT from the outlet.

Premier Icon benp1

I wouldn’t get an atom, it has insulation sandwiched in two shells, so won’t be that breathable

Something in polartec alpha direct, its massively breathable. There’s a new OMM core series too

Failing that, something with a lightweight fleece, gridded or normal

Premier Icon stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I like my Fjern Vandring stretch fleece from Sportpursuit so much I’ve got two. On Saturday I wore it under my Fjern down gilet for a dawn walk in the Pentlands. I reckon it was about -10°C with the wind chill, maybe colder and I was very comfortable. Works well in a variety of situations as a midlayer or outer layer.

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Cheers folks, some excellent advice…

I’d had my eye on the Atom LT…even with 25% it’s probably a bit expensive for me (and I only really buy fairly expensive stuff!)

Haglofs stuff that is suitable is out of stock.

Rab Nexus looks very nice.

The ME Kore looks really good too.

The Alpkit stuff looks really interesting, at £40 seems like a bargain too. Only own three bits of Alpkit stuff, none of which are that good imo, but none are clothing.

I think that it’s between the Rab Nexus and the Alpkit Griffon. I can get 15% off at Cotswolds so they come in at a similar price.

Hmmm, decisions!

Premier Icon karnali
    Free Member

Rab paradox brilliant

Premier Icon milesf0
    Free Member

I have a full zip hoody in polartec powerstretch. It’s the one mid layer I’d choose over everything else.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

For those who’ve seen, or have, both the Alpkit Griffon and the Rab Nexus: are they made from the same material?

I’ve a Rab base layer and my wife got the Alpkit Laika base layer recently and they are the same material so just wondering if this extended to other in the respective ranges.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Only thing that put me off the ME Kore was no hood, I like a hood on my mid layer. Went for an Eclipse instead –

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/mens-clothing-c1/mens-fleece-c50/fleece-jackets-c230/eclipse-hooded-jacket-p7983

Premier Icon nickc

I’ve got the Alpkit Griffon sport-cardigan and more or less live in mine, excellent bit if kit

Premier Icon petec
    Free Member

Fjern Vandring

this. It is very good.

and if very cold have one of these underneath. Surprisingly warm for something so thin

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

I’ve ordered a Griffon.

Premier Icon UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Agree with Slowoldman, I have Lowe Alpine Aleutian that must be decades old. It’s made of some sort of wizardry, no mater what I’m using it for it’s always the right temperature.

Mine is so old, and so worn, its borderline more hole than material, and will have to retire it at some point. Never found a micro fleece that comes close.

Not much help to the OP as (much as I’ve searched) its not been available for years 🙁

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Got my Alpkit Griffon in the post today, not had chance to test it outdoors with my waterproof etc, but on first glance I’m very impressed.

Nice fit, good quality and a great price. Hand written note inside and apparently the packaging is recyclable too. 👍

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.