Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a long distance event
  • swoosh
    Free Member

looking to do a few long distance (c. 50-75k) events this year that dont have the format of ‘do as many laps as you can in an alloted time’. I’ve tried events like Mountain Mayhem, SiTS, HtN etc but i just dont get on with the format. Another thing i dont like about them is that they are not run on established trails and so if the weather is bad, as it always seems to be, the trails cut up the moment a second rider gets on the track, let alone 400 others!

So, would something like a Merida Marathon suit me more. I’ve spotted a few events, Meridas, Marin Rough Ride and maybe even the Viking Challenge. I live in the midlands and am willing to travel about 2 hours to an event (ones in scotland are probably out).

Are there any other events of this style that i should be looking at? only wanting to do 3 or so across the season (April-October)

swoosh
    Free Member

so no one has any events to recommend…. how odd!

miketually
    Free Member

The Meridas always generate some good reports. Usually have 50km and 100km options, but you should look at the detailed course profiles before choosing, as there’re not actually those lengths.

flatwarwick
    Free Member

I’ve always enjoyed the Brecon Beast Enduro. 50 or 100km options, big mountain scenery and usually a good atmosphere.

swoosh
    Free Member

Seen on the British Heart Foundation some good looking events, White Peak Challenge in April, and Vale of Belvoir in May. Both road but should be good fun. and then the Robin Hood in November off road, could be slimey but Sherwood Pines normally drains pretty well. Anyone ever done a BHF ride before and are they well organised?

miketually
    Free Member

If you’re interested in road rides too, there are loads of Audax rides all round the country.

mccett
    Free Member

Merida is good fun, esp the Ruthin round which is prob close enough – thats in Spetember this year i think – was May last year.
    Dyfi Enduro too is good.

Failing that, make up your own with some mates – we’re doing Nant Y Arian, Climachx, Coed y Brenin, Marin, Penmachno and Llandegla this weekend as we didnt get Strathpuffer entries this year!

Wiksey
    Free Member

I’ve been meaning to give the Manx End 2 End a go for the last couple of years (fitness has been somewhat lacking) but it sounds great and doesn’t involve going round in circles.

swoosh
    Free Member

good one wiksey. totally forgot about that one. also just been on merida site and the barnoldswick merdia is new. that could be a contestent along with ruthin in september

donsimon
    Free Member

I know you said 2 hours or so from the Midlands, but for future refence have you (or anyone for that matter) considered doing anything abroad. Here in Madrid the marathons can be anything from 50km to the longest I’ve done at 109km all in one long loop. More or less 1500-2000+ m of climbing and, if you’re the competitive type usually include a hardcore of top local riders.

Just a thought.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Viking Challenge is quite amusing. When it’s wet is a veritable mudfest. I think I did it dry in about 2 and a bit hours, and wet in about 4!

wors

i did a road event that started at barnoldswick last year. stunning scenery but some of the hills are sickening! would be quite interested in the merida at barnoldswick miself

MoreCashThanDash

BHF Peak Challenge in April is about 90% on road now – it’s a great ride, just not very "off roady". Three big hills – someone died of a heart attack in front of us in Winster a few years ago. And it’s usually my birthday weekend!

Viking Challenge is not a particularly technical course, but when it is muddy – and it usually is – it is nasty thick gooey clay. In six inch wide strips. With 2 foot deep ruts either side. Full of water. That said, it’s a great event, well organised, regular food stops etc, though I understand there was some criticism on here about it last year.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a long distance event’ is closed to new replies.