Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a lock
  • andybanks
    Free Member

I’m looking for a lock as I’m off to center parcs this weekend and my old lock is now needed for the kids bikes.

I’ve seen the On One ones, but I’m not sure I trust the level of security a £14 lock can provide for a £1k+ bike.

I don’t want to spend a lot (ideally less than £50) but would like something compact so I can put it in a jersey pocket for longer rides and something that has a soft outer so it won’t scuff a carbon frame.

What would you guys suggest please?

Thanks

andybrad

anything thats a chain or d lock. If anyone comes for your bike there more than likely to be equipped to deal with most things.

submarined
    Free Member

There’s no lock that is light enough to carry around with you that will keep your bike safe for more than a few seconds.
    Any cable lock type thing will be cut straight through by your average bike theif.
    Any vaguely secure chain/D lock will be to heavy/bulky to carry round.

If your bike is insured, best you can hope for is the cheapest/lightest lock you can find that pays lip service to their minimum security standards, then hope for the best IMHO. Sorry, but it’s a bleak state of affairs.

joebristol

As per submarine d you’re not going to get anything light / cheap that will hold off a determined bike thief. Centre spaces are rife with bike theft – I’ve always kept my bike in the actual lodge when we’ve stayed there.

The only lock that’s vaguely portable and half decent is a hip lock – I’ve got the top one that cost about £60 in a sale and is sold secure gold. Even still – when locking with it I make sure it’s as high above the ground as possible and as tightly wrapped around the frame as I can. You want it out of range of big bolt croppers – then the only thing they’re going to get it off with is a battery powered angle grinder. Nothing is going to guard against that really.

The alternative is a beefy d lock – but that’s less portable. Kryptonite New York Lock I’m the short shackle size has been the one I’ve always gone for. Again, Keep it away from the floor and big bolt croppers – but an angle grinder will probably do for it too.

alan1977
    Free Member

on guard mastiff
    about £35 on amazon depending on style, a lot of them are gold secure rated or what not

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Soething that goes around the hip as weighty locks are much less noticeable there.

But anything decent is going to be heavy.

The only other option is somethign like a decent padlock that you put through the chainrings if you stop for a short break – stops anyone riding off on the bike and is a bit of a deterrent as it will have to be cut off, which wil be harder than a cable, or dismantled.

My chain came from

https://securityforbikes.com/

alexnharvey
    Free Member

I like the little onguard Pitbull mini d-locks. About £20 quid, easy to stash in a bag or large pocket and not trivial to cut through unless you have a battery angle grinder.

onewheelgood

The Hiplok DX is a good combination of portability and security https://www.hiplok.com/hiplok-dx/
    Won’t really go in a jersey pocket, but is great if you are in casual clothes. Clips on the back pocket of a pair of jeans really nicely.

Northwind

Onguard Brute is a more solid, tiny-d-lock option but it’s kind of tricky to find things to chain it to.You <could> put it in a jersey pocket, but you probably wouldn’t.

petec
    Free Member

this is the thread to read https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/

old, but always updated

from that list, i have a few of these https://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-Shackle-Lock/p/31-2166

despite the reviews, I’ve never had any issues (over about 10 years), and one of them stopped a determined git at the local station

transition1
    Free Member

I have a litelok. Not cheap but could carry round your waist & a tough lock that would take longer to brake than most.

ajaj
    Free Member

Another option is the Abus Bordo. It’s over budget, sold secure gold (but read that link) and easier to carry. I’ve never used one but you see a few at the station.

andybanks
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Some food for thought.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a lock’ is closed to new replies.