Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me a…. lighter?
  • Cougar

I’m looking for a half-decent cigarette lighter, not because I’m a smokerist but because I’m a geek and find it handy to carry a source of fire around.

I used to carry a Zippo, just gave up on that as it tended to leak / evaporate (do they all do that or was it just mine?). It got used infrequently, so when I did come to use it it was invariably empty. Plus, I ended up with a rash on my leg from where it’d sat quietly leeching lighter fluid into my pocket.

I migrated to a Turboflame II, which on paper was perfect. Windproof, and a great mini-blowtorch flame that came in handy as an impromptu cutting tool. In practice, it was never overly reliable and needed constant fettling to get a stable flame.

After I’d lost it, I read that they’re sensitive to the types of lighter fluid you use, so I took a punt on another one and a canister of their recommended fuel. This fared a lot better until the ignition button failed. I emailed Turboflame for advice and never got a reply.

So, I think what I’m looking for is a Turboflame II, only not crap. Ideally, I’d like it to come from a company who’ll tell me how to fix it if I ask.

Any suggestions?

dknwhy

Bic disposable – too cool for school.

z1ppy

Clipper or swan, forget fanciness

Cougar

Save the (plastic) trees.

I was looking for something a little cooler and, well, more flamethrowery (so, cooler and hotter I suppose).

z1ppy

they break… so what’s the point?
    Brother spent stupid amount on turbo lighters.. they all broke, get a clipper, a can of gas and some replacement flints.

If you want more, get a creme brulee torch.

Jamie
    Free Member

I just fill a pocket with petrol, and rub a ballon on my wool jumper when I need it.

p.s Clipper.

househusband

When I saw the thread title I was just about to say don’t get a Zippo for all the reasons you stated in your own post!

Cougar

That makes me feel slightly vindicated actually, ta.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Clipper +1

But not a black, yellow or green one!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Dont get a Zippo, STW hates em, as you know.

Clipper. Purple one.

yossarian
    Free Member

If you are being all sandally and beardy then you should knap your own flint firestones

Cougar

I actually have a fire steel already. It’s a bit singlespeed for general use though.

“Have you got a light, mate?”

“Sure.” *whoosh*

“Get away from me you mentalist.”

wolly
    Free Member

What about a fancy Clipper? You can get stainless ones? Clipper

Or a dunhill?

Rollagas

z1ppy

I do own a zippo it looks lovely, so it’s still sat in it’s presentation box.

PS: what’s the point of a fancy clipper? They all eventually die when the seal on the gas cartridge eventually fails

khani
    Free Member

If you get a clipper, get a clear one so you can see the fluid level..

househusband

That makes me feel slightly vindicated actually, ta.

And your thread has reminded me that I should sell mine, and the spare flints and wicks I have for it!

wolly
    Free Member

How big are your pockets? Link

Cougar

(-:

The Blazer Venture appears to be exactly what I’m looking for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blazer-Venture-Gunmetal-Lighter/dp/B00GUDC90A

Yay or nay?

z1ppy

I refer the honourable gentleman to my aformentioned answer “Brother spent stupid amount on turbo lighters.. they all broke” 😉

Stop wasting money on toys! Go buy another bike….

Cougar

Stop wasting money on toys! Go buy another bike….

But… toys… fire…

Cougar

Torjet

Mixed reviews on Amazon, but that’s not a bad idea actually.

matt_outandabout

I still have a (cheapo Bic), but I find this works most of the time now…

Cougar

I can about imagine taking that on holiday through airport customs.

somafunk

A clear clipper is all the lighter you’ll ever need, and it has the important “poky bit” for when you need to…..erm….ahh……hmmm……erhhhh…….steps away from thread whistling nonchalantly 😉

z1ppy

😯 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

A clear clipper is all the lighter you’ll ever need, and it has the important “poky bit” for when you need to…..erm….ahh……hmmm……erhhhh…….steps away from thread whistling nonchalantly

HE’S TALKING ABOUT POKING THE END OF A JOINT SO YOU CAN ROACH IT, FOLKS!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK87chHv-k[/video]

user-removed
    Free Member

If you wanted to persevere with the Zippo, you just have to leave it standing for 20 mins after filling – this stops the burny leg rash, unless you’ve massively overfilled it of course! You can also buy little cannisters to refill your zippo on the fly but it all starts getting a bit silly. Melt some wax into a box of Swan Vestas – makes them waterproof, stops them rattling and they burn much better when you actually need them.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Ive still got a rounded brain clipper with a worn yellow smiley face my bro gave me he found at a barn rave its also bin “pinned” so the flame is huuuuge and has some early 90s resin still stuck to the inside!!! Shes still going strong but.

I also have a 99p torjet windproof from a baccy shop which is ace!!! Lights first and every time and has a nice hot blue flame perfect for cigs and also good for lighting my busted superfire 2 blowlamp!!!

househusband

HE’S TALKING ABOUT POKING THE END OF A JOINT SO YOU CAN ROACH IT, FOLKS!

Ban him! Burn him!

billytinkle
    Free Member

I was always very happy with my true utility tu 60.

singlespeedstu

Clippers also have the advantage of having a built in roach bodging tool.
    😉 # #smokers lighter.

EDIT scrolls back up to see Kennys post and is not surprised that he’s beaten me to the same post content. 😀
    Waves to Kenny.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

You can’t beat a clipper, removable flint bit is great for shaping roaches for joints, apparently.

Loved my Zippo but when full, it would give me a rash on my leg.

CountZero

These look rather nifty, but those Torjets look ideal for keeping around for stuff like sealing over cut paracord.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pack-Jumbo-4-Single-Jet-Flame-Torch-Gun-Lighter-Refillable-Lockable-Windproof-/181320448428?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

somafunk

to you stu?

Maybe a couple o’ years ago but i’m entirely sensible now 🙄

Scapegoat

Zippo. Sorry. Don’t overfill it, leave it to settle after filling, and carry those gel refills for when you need to travel light.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a…. lighter?’ is closed to new replies.