Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a large volume fast rolling tyre…
  • sparkingchains
    Free Member

I’m after something to replace the 2.35 and 2.5 Highrollers I use. I’ve looked at the 2.4 Racing Ralph but I hear they wear very quickly. The Crossmark and Larsen come up a bit too small for my liking. It’s for a hardcore hardtail. The Maxxis advantage in a 2.4 may be an option but the tread looks maybe a little too much for fast rolling?

Any opinions? Cheers.

Zoolander
    Free Member

2.4 snakeskin nobby nics
    Mahoosive and plenty quick

nbt

Bontrager XDX 2.4 came on my Gary Fisher Roscoe and really like them, I moved the part worn tires to the tandem and got a tubeless set – sadly they didn’t last long in tubeless mode, I went through both tyres in the same ride, but as I bought them off here I have no idea if they had any damage to begin with. Nonetheless with tubes in I find the great all round tyres

yatesy

maxxis ardent 2.25 front and aspen 2.25 on the rear.fast as **** and plenty big enough

SOAP
    Free Member

MAXXIS advantage front crossmark rear both 2.25 (summer) aDvantage/aDvantage (winter)

HarYuken
    Free Member

+1 for the Ardent & Aspen combo.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ve heard the Nobbly Nics are good. I’ll look into them. Not cheap though are they!

I doubt I could get a 2.25 Crossmark on a Sun Single track (31mm wide). I’m after a high volume tyre for fairly hard riding. How wide does the Ardent come up compared to a Highroller of the same size?

Ta for the advice.

steve_b77
    Free Member

sparkingchains – Member
    Thanks, I’ve heard the Nobbly Nics are good. I’ll look into them. Not cheap though are they!

I doubt I could get a 2.25 Crossmark on a Sun Single track (31mm wide). I’m after a high volume tyre for fairly hard riding. How wide does the Ardent come up compared to a Highroller of the same size?

Not exactly expensive either

Ardents are way bigger than a high roller

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Cheers Steve, unfortunately On-one have sold all the Snake Skin versions. Wonder how tough the side walls are of the non-snakeskins to be that low weight at a 2.4.

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

High roller front with Larsen rear here, great combo!

yatesy

2.25 aredent aspen are wider than a 2.35 high roller and bigger volume to.the 2.25 nobbynick is a decent winter choice

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the 2.4 Racing Ralph but I hear they wear very quickly.

mine last 2.5 summers with a lot of use.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ardents have huge volume due to a very high profile. The sidewall on a 2,25 is taller than a 2.4 Nic but the width is fairly average/slightly on the burly side. Resoanbly fast with a good floaty feel thats soaks up the hits

steve_b77
    Free Member

SC, plenty tough enough, I’ve ran mine in the peaks and Welsh forests with very little damage.

JohnnyPanic

No personal experience of Advantages but I’ve seen someone post that the 2.4’s are quicker rolling than High Rollers.

5thElefant
    Free Member

mine last 2.5 summers with a lot of use.

Not sure mine will last that long but I’m on my second summer and they’ll certainly last this year.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

2.2 Rubber Queen

DaveE

+1 for 2.4 snakeskin nobby nics

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, very helpful! Those with Racing Ralphs saying they last a couple of years/summers are you doing much riding on rock?

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

it’s STW, no riding gets done here noob

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Dave E – I’m worried the non snakeskins will be tough enough on rock/slate and prone to pinch flats?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Those with Racing Ralphs saying they last a couple of years/summers are you doing much riding on rock?

Cotswolds stuff mostly for me which is dirt and loose rubble for the most part. They’ve done trips to c-y-b, mtb marathon, dyfi and various 24s too.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

jontydewolfe –

I wouldn’t spend so much time worrying about spending more on bike tyres than my car tyres if I wasn’t going to use them!

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

pfft

Radioman

Maxxis Ardent are very good I have the big 2.4s, light and nice on rock. The only not so good thing is soft deep mud.. I leave them on my Nomad Carbon had them since i got the bike last summer & I dont change tyres unless they wear out… Used in Alps last year and here…no problems…plenty tough , light and no punctures yet!!(I use tubes too)

sparkingchains
    Free Member
    SOAP
    Free Member

I thought schwalbe’s were PAP…. but then I dont ride like a Pro! 😯

Northwind

Small Block 8 2.35 maybe? About the same size as your 2.5 HR, as fast as knobblies come, and wear-wise they last forever. Wouldn’t put them on the front again but they’re fantastic on the back. Decent weight too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a large volume fast rolling tyre…’ is closed to new replies.