Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Recommend me a kindling axe/hatchet
  • nacho
    Free Member

As per the title really. Having finally run out of donated off cuts of wood I need to start chopping some of my logs into kindling size and the big old axe I have is too cumbersome, I started looking online and there are sooooo many choices so STW advice is needed……

timber

Just to add another variable, I use a bill hook as something with a bigger edge, lighter balance and ability to cleft. There are loads of patterns out there though, mine is a Devon pattern, so one of the smaller ones.

househusband

There was a discussion on this just the other day I think…

Here you go:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-axe-1

nacho
    Free Member

Aaaargh! Timber! Now you have expanded my choice not reduced it, I have never considered (or used) a bill hook! TBF they do look pretty handy!

Stoner
    Free Member

I use a small axe quite often and confess to just using a cheap and cheerful one with a hickory handle that I picked up at the local farmers store rather than any fancy unobtanium piece sharpened on a scandinavian virgin’s buttocks.

I also have a basic billhook too, but I only really use it for snedding and not splitting.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Billhook or hatchet, whichever’s nearer, the former is a light model, the latter from the old fashioned hardware shop in town. Both are sharp as. The newcomer may think sharper = more dangerous, once you’re used to them sharper tools stick in rather than bounce off.

You aren’t going to carry it any distance, fight off a bear with it, or use it to cut steps in ice: I’m with stoner.

Stoner
    Free Member

mine. Sharp as…, but cheap as….

simon67
    Free Member

Just got a Fiskars X5 – brilliant!

So sharp I sliced my thumb and my mother-in-law’s sofa whilst fiddling with it on Christmas Day

Also have X27 for log splitting

sqweeeezzz
    Free Member

I have a Roughneck Kindlimng Splitter £20 odd from Amazon.

Fantastic thing, has an offset wedge shape and really splits stuff apart and dous not get stuck in knotty twisty wood like an axe or billhook. Its the best thing |I’ve used and I’ve chopped kindleing with everything from a butchers knife to an 8lb felling axe

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Oregon make some nice ones.

A kindling axe doesnt need to be super sharp. I tried using an Estwing axe for kindling, its just lethal.

http://www.theoregonshop.com/page11.htm

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a kindling axe/hatchet’ is closed to new replies.