Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me a jacket please
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m looking for a fairly windproof, extremely highly 100% breathable (pit zips?) fleece/jacket as I run very hot. I recently spent quite a lot of money on a Fox attack Pro jacket which I boil in. So now I realise warmth is obviously a factor but not so much of it that I melt, any suggestions please very much appreciated 👍

trailwagger
    Free Member

If you are that hot, why are you wearing a jacket?

Anyway, maybe a gilet would be a better option? I got a Sportful Garia one this winter, and its quickly become my favourite bit of kit.

lawman91

Yeah a jacket of any kind sounds over kill really! You’re best looking at thicker jerseys or look at how you layer your gear. I typically run very hot and have been riding all through winter with a couple of 7Mesh Windstopper Jackets/jerseys (they’re kind of both, the MTB equivilant of a Gabba if you will) and have just used a suitable baselayer for the conditions underneath. If it’s been around freezing or just above I’ve used a thick-ish Craft Fuse Knit and if it’s been 5-10 degrees I’ve used a short sleeve Craft mesh base layer and that’s seen me through all winter just fine. Now it’s getting warmer I’ve stuck with the mesh base layer and wear a 7Mesh Compound jersey over the top. It has a windproof panel on the front and really works well, MBR rated it very highly and it’s not overly expensive either.

7Mesh Compound jersey review

https://7mesh.com/catalog/product/view/id/2201/category/77/

FWIW, it’s probably not what you want to hear after dropping some major £££ on one, but I’ve found Fox jackets to be pretty shocking performance wise. They fall apart very quickly, don’t fit that nicely and they’re extremely hot, not at all breathable and not all that waterproof either. I went through two in about 10 months, the first one had the cuffs fail during the first ride and the fabric stained permanently a few rides later and the second one (a different model) was seemingly put together for the sole purpose of falling apart again. Needless to say I got a refund on both. Don’t get me wrong 7Mesh gear is not cheap, nor does it claim to be anything but, but for 3 years now all the gear I’ve had from them has been top notch and just keeps on going and performing superbly. Bit like Exposure lights I think, yes they’re expensive, but once you’ve used them you’ll not want to go back to anything else!

mark90
    Free Member

I run hot and this winter I’ve mainly been in thin base layer and a rab vital jacket or a pertex gilet if it’s not so cold.

The vital can get a little humid inside if climbing hard but a full length zip allows decent ventilation.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I runnhot also and use stolen goat ss with their waterproof arm warmers for versatility

https://stolengoat.com/product-category/clothing/waterproof-cycling-jerseys/?filter_gender=male

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like some good ideas and products to follow up on 👍😁

jayx2a
    Free Member

https://www.biketart.com/clothing-c7/jackets-c46/madison-zenith-mens-waterproof-jacket-p12514

Had mine for 3 years and ride in it all year round until the hot days (blue one).

Zips under arms, fold small enough for a pack. Waterproof and breathable.

Been so good up until I got mangled in a tree full of thorns and ripped the sleeve.

Ordered another one over the weekend!

edhornby

for my commute at the moment I wear a LS baselayer, a LS jersey and a thin nylon gilet as a wind barrier. This works for a fairly brisk road ride so should be enough for whatever you are planning. gilets are useful because they can be easily stowed.

if you do want a jacket, PX do an inexpensive one with loads of zips so if you dismount with vigour you won’t cry if you rip it

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

I have one of these, never mind windproof, its storm proof, I have ridden in rain for hours, up mountains in NZ, it’s a shell, but can be layered up. Hood massive for Military helmets, so your bike helemet will be okay, excellent velcro and zips. Its big, but workable all for £40.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-French-Military-Army-Goretex-Central-European-Camouflaged-CCE-Jacket-/221588651248

junglistjut
    Free Member

Problem with wind proof is they make you sweat. In this weather my Alpinestars windbreaker is good because you can roll it into a pouch and strap it to the bike when you get too hot. I take it on and off a couple of times over a 3 hour ride.

I only use my soft shell below 5c because the wind stop layer makes it sweaty quick.

pipiom
    Free Member

I bought an earlier version of this: superlight and windproof; best jacket I’ve had/got…..5 years old now and still bulletproof.

https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-c3-gore-windstopper-thermo-softshell-jacket-EV341669?1=-1,esvcrea:316738996939,esvplace:,esvd:m,esvtg:pla-504979521094,esvo:EV341669-M-RED,esvaid:50080&1=-1&lsft=esvt:60860-GOUKE6466462,esvq:,esvadt:999999-0-1358750-1&esvwa=NISO_Cycling%20Soft%20Shells_Gore_No%20Year_Normal&esvwa=NISO_Cycling%20Soft%20Shells_Gore_No%20Year_Normal&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Clothing_Cycling%20Soft%20Shells&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Clothing_Cycling%20Soft%20Shells&esvt=60860-GOUKE6466462&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1358750-1&esvcrea=316738996939&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=pla-504979521094&esvo=EV341669-M-RED&esvwm=CPC&esvws=Google&esvwt=&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhO6_5aLt4AIVa7HtCh0JvwrbEAQYCCABEgJpz_D_BwE

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a jacket please’ is closed to new replies.