Recommend me a HT Steel frame please?

Home Forum Bike Forum Recommend me a HT Steel frame please?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Recommend me a HT Steel frame please?
  • sv

Sanderson Life is nice if you want 100mm or thereabouts. Stanton Slackline 631 or 853 great do it all bike. The Prince Albert and Scion will also fit the bill.

mick_tvr

Not 853 but i’m really impressed with Charge Duster

Mick

dannyh

I’ve just got myself a 456 evo 2. From the three or four rides I’ve done on it, I am absolutely blown away. I’m 5’11” and long in the torso, so the 18″ fits me perfectly.

Sizing wise you’ll be on the 14 or the 16, if you err on the larger size you can run a short stem, which is what the frame is all about.

On one have ditched the big central pipe that joined the seatstays, and I think this has reduced the harshness that the original 456 and the first evo were renowned for. After riding alu hardtails for many years, I can confirm the ‘steel feel’ is definitely there.

I’ve built it up with 120mm recons. Slap bang in the middle of the recommended travel for the frame.

At £225 I don’t think there’s a better ‘all things considered’ steel ht out there. Obviously plenty will disagree, but that will be healthy for your ultimate choice.

Have fun choosing, and most importantly riding your new steed.

Premier Icon nedrapier
    Subscriber

Keep your eyes peeled for a Dekerf. You’ll be lucky, but if you are, you’ll be happy!

Premier Icon jasonm945
    Subscriber

I have had an Inbred, Sanderson Life, Charge Duster and a Saracen Kili 853 and I would recommend them all 😀

Jujuuk68

Thanks Dannh, the thing is, I can probably afford new, but I’ve now had so many bikes stolen (and only one recovered) that I cant be bothered with new, its too heartbreaking. But for an On One, I could probably push the boat out to new.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

There is / was a kinesis decade virsa in the classifieds for £180.

Get that.

Premier Icon chorlton
    Subscriber

Just got my hands on a s/h Cotic Soul and no problems with chain suck so far and the chain stays look fine apart from a bit of missing paint (no gouges). Had a P7 for a few years which I loved but the Soul is a good bit lighter and flys. 🙂

Jujuuk68

Looking for a s/h ht steel frame –

Items under consideration at the moment are

Dialled Prince Alberts,
    Cotic Souls,
    On One 456
    Orange R8 (poss a p7)
    Pipedream Scion?

any good frames I’ve missed?

Looking at Cotics, it seems any of any age at all all seem to suffer chainsuck damage to the chainstays – is this a problem with them generally? Or just indication they get hard use? Or am I just unlucky in my s/h trawl?

I am looking for a do it all bike, I am not a heavy rider nor very “rufty tufty”, and it needs to be just about ok for the road as well as off road. Tbh the list above might be a bit “overbiked” for me, and so amopen to any other ideas.

The other thing is size? I have an old p7 of 99 vintage, which is 17 inch, but tbh Oranges idea of a 17 is everyone elses 15.5/16, and so thinking need a 16/small frame rather than a medium? I am 5’6 – inside leg about 30, but a short top half – ie my jackets fit best “short” whereas sometimes I can get away with regular trousers, if the trousers are “shorter” than average.

Any recommendations welcome or owners opinions, + any other ideas – the snob in me who has to lift it up and down 6 flights of stairs also likes the idea of 853.

h4muf

Bloody love my Sicon!

Pipedream by h4muf, on Flickr

Comfiest bike i’ve got.

Had a Pipedream Sirius and was a great bike, but just a bit ‘soft and heavy. If the Scion rides anything like my Pipedream Modro, it would be my choice. Mmmm, might think about getting one …….. another bike, the wife will kill me…..

Cotic and Dialled both make proper bikes. The PA is a bit more hardcore than the Soul though.

The Soul rides really nicely with some short (100 – 120mm) forks and it’s pretty light aswell.

Cant think of much else cheap, Rock Lobster 853 second hand? The geometry is a bit more old school though.

zoota

Decade versa,
    thorn sterling,
    genesis core, alptitude or attitude.
    All makes above do 16.5″ frames

banks

Loving the looks of the genesis but no 26ers 🙁 what forks are they rated up to?

Jujuuk68

I’m thinking for my uses, 120mm max really. I’m a poof over the rough stuff. Some good suggestions here, but it does look like it’s hard to buy a bad frame really. –

Interested to hear a bit more from Chorlton on the p7 v soul, as coming from the former to the latter is of interest – The soul was the first bike I thought of, but so many s/h ones look rough.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

I have a Cotic BFe, love it, it’s a bit burlier than a Soul but same geometry and new it was £300 vs £480 so should see that reflected in second hand prices. FWIW I bought an 853 PRince Albert Classic at same time in case the BFe turned out to be harsh as was mentioned on here. I haven’t found the Cotic that at all. I guess the point is I saw the BFe and Albert as comparable. It’s possible the Soul’s appear worn as they’ve been ridden a lot which is a good sign !!

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

Soul would be the default.
    853 Genesis [something]
    Saracen xxxx (not sure what it was called).
    Orange R8 would be a very strong contender too.

moonboy

OP if you are as you say a ‘light’ rider then I’d go for a soul.

Love my PA but it really excels when pushing it on rougher terrain. It’s more bike than I probably use most of the time so as a do-it-all with a modicum of smoothness a Soul might be the way to go?

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I would recommend the PA and the 16″ would do you grand. Very versatile.

dickie

Pace RC104

Premier Icon chorlton
    Subscriber

I was lucky getting my Soul at the price I did as it’s very tidy. I wanted one before I got the P7 but Cy had sold out on large frames. My 07 P7 was a fantastic bike, hefty at around 28 pounds even with a good build and 130 Rock Shox forks. More of a steady away bike. Had it as a single speed for a few years as well. Then some scrote pinched it.
    So I’d been looking at all sorts of other steel frames like Pipedream, Genisis, Dialled and even thought about getting a full sus but as soon as this Soul came up for sale on Ebay I had to have it.
    Some people like a smaller size with the Soul but at 6 foot, large is spot on for me. With 100mm Fox Floats on it’s a very quick spritely bike up and down. Get one if you can.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

[/url] Shan by nickcummins1, on Flickr[/img]

Privee Shan, might be a bit…slack for what you need though

Jujuuk68

Lovely pics chaps.

Can’t see for the life of me why alu ever took off. or 29. Don’t skinny tubes and smaller wheels just look “right” for a blast through the woods.

I am seriously thinking the soul might be the one to at least try. Thinking of transfering the finishing kit from my p7 to start with, a groupset from Merlin, and some cheap s/h wheels and shocks, build to a budget.

Premier Icon saracendan
    Subscriber

Trek Sawyer -29er, steel,retro and belt drive/singlespeed ready. It’s a niche whore and I love mine! It’s a bit like a poor man’s Jones!

Premier Icon StirlingCrispin
    Subscriber

I’ve had Inbreds (x3 of various types), Sanderson Life and a Cotic Soul.

The Inbreds are fun but a bit deader than the Life/Soul.
    But I trashed the Life* several times ripping open the rear mech hanger on passing sticks. Costs a lot of money to reset it and replace the mech – particularly when you do it twice in a month.

The Soul has a replaceable mech hanger and for that reason alone I’d recommend it over the others.
    It’s also a blast to ride!

* The Life frame (20″) is hanging in the shed if anyone would like it in exchange for some beers.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

Can’t see for the life of me why alu ever took off.

see that Shan? Lovely as it is, made out of coke can it would at least a kg lighter, and would be stiffer, not that it makes a massive difference, but I miss the ‘snap’ of the Chameleon it replaced.

Don’t get hung up on material.

PeterPoddy

Probably the nicest steel framer I’ve ever owned:

IMG_1450 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr

MoseyMTB

Dialled Alpine all the way.

Premier Icon leftyboy
    Subscriber

I’ve got a kinesis decade virsa and I’d recommend it, 2nd best bike I’ve owned. Best was a ti framed Parkpre!

mlpinto

I have an old 853 Genesis Altitude and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it…

banks

@nickc – Is the shan 10/12mm bolt thru or bolt up? Cheers.

Not sure if it’s common knowledge or not, but the current incarnation of the Prince Albert is the Prince Albert Classic Reynolds 853 frame, which has replaced the Reynolds 725 version.

Premier Icon accu
    Subscriber

here it is…just brilliant..

dannyh

image by Danny H 456 rider, on Flickr

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a HT Steel frame please?’ is closed to new replies.