• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a heart monitor chest strap to pair with my Garmin Instinct please
  • iainc

The optical function is pretty poor when moving so keen for a decent strap version.

downshep

Been looking at this myself. Seriously considering an upper arm strap from Rhythm or Polar as they don’t interfere with backpack straps etc. Just not sure how tight they need to be to function correctly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I use the deluxx Garmin chest strap with my forerunner735.

The one that came with my edge 500.

Doesn’t interfere with backpack straps either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dissonance

the garmin ones are discounted on amazon today.

leffeboy

garmin premium works great

got the old Rhythm optical strap.  Works ok for steady state stuff but struggles a bit in the cold or when doing intervals.

Strap ftw

iainc

Just got one of the discounted Garmin ones on Amazon, cheers.

MSP

I prefer the wahoo one, the fastening is better IMO, and it is nice to have dual bluetooth and ant+ for a bit of flexibility in pairing with other devices.

CraigW
    Free Member

I don’t like chest straps. I’m now using a Polar OH1, on the upper arm. Seems to be quite reliable/accurate. A lot better for cycling than the Instinct or my old Mio (on the wrist). It doesn’t need to be too tight, the strap is quite comfortable anyway.

lunge

I just use the Garmin premium one that came with my Edge 520, seems fine to me for bike work.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Not sure how well it works with Garmin but I have a wahoo tickr and it’s very good indeed.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Polar chest strap, talks to watch, phone or Garmin on the bars (only niggle is if watch and phone are both on it seems to only want to tell my phone)

slowoldman

I don’t like chest straps. I’m now using a Polar OH1, on the upper arm.

Me too. As CraigW says, doesn’t need to be tight. I’m unaware of it after I’ve put it on. I have a Polar computer though, don’t know if it works with a Garmin – it is Bluetooth and ANT+ so I guess it does.

Nobby

I’ve an original (mk1) Garmin one & a Wahoo Tickr – both work perfectly well with it.

orangespyderman

I have a Wahoo for dual BT/Ant+ but a few weeks later Polar enabled Ant+ on their H10 with a firmware upgrade. I also have an H10.

Both are good.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

After reading this thread I dug out my old Garmin HRM1 that came with my Edge 500. Wore it yesterday and over the night. I got slightly extreme low readings than I got with the built in HR wrist sensor on my 235hr, high seemed similar. I’ll ride later and do a comparison between Garmin 500 and the chest strap with the 235.

iainc

Dual strap arrived yesterday and seems decent, paired straight away with my edge 130 and with Instinct.

Haven’t really experimented with it yet – with the Instinct, does the watch face readout show the strap reading, or the optical wrist reading by default ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You have to disable the wrist hr every time you wanna use chest strap. Usually in settings-sensors and accessories.

It’ll then pick up chest strap.

iainc

Ah, many thanks.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a heart monitor chest strap to pair with my Garmin Instinct please’ is closed to new replies.