Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a headtorch
  • smokey_jo

I’m looking for a head-torch but I want it to be usable with and without a helmet, ideally easily switchable too, don’t mind separate mounts as long as it can be changed tool free.

Ideally integrated rechargeable battery too.

Moon on a stick or is there something out there that will work?

footflaps

Head Torches and Lighting

Viper is great, if you want rechargeable, go for the Quark.

osteo1
    Free Member

Exposure joystick comes with helmet mount and bar mounts and you can also get a Stretchy Velcro strap for it for use as a head torch. A little heavier than a running head torch but I don’t have a problem using it for sub 10k runs.

smokey_jo

Quark looks good and about right budget wise – anything out there similar?

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

lezyne macro duo 700 has a nice beam pattern. Have cat eye volt 400s too which are great for commutes but bright concentric rings are very noticeable in unlit areas which I find quite distracting and unpleasant.

smokey_jo

Hows that decathlon light on a helmet? does it move around a lot?

mrb123
    Free Member

I’ve only tried the Decathlon one for running I’m afraid, not with a helmet.

smokey_jo

Anybody got a planet x Bobby dazzler On me Head?

MoreCashThanDash

Bought my lad a Qark based on recommendations on here – very impressive, the rechargeable unit comes out so it can use normal batteries

CheesybeanZ

Another happy Viper user here .

boxelder

Bobby Dazzler Go pro mount – any use?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got a viper and a quark and not particularly impressed with either to be honest. The viper has poor beam throw and the quark’s beam is adjustable between narrow and really narrow, it’s also generally quite clunky and fitted with baggy elastic. Both have poor battery life and have had since day one, it certainly isn’t anywhere like that advertised on the alpkit site.

They both seem great on paper which is why I bought them but in reality they’re not brilliant. (badum-tish!)

BadlyWiredDog

Petzl Swift RL- top end Petzl headtorch – might work if you can fit it to a bike helmet, which might take some bodging. It has a dual flood / spot beam with an auto mode that adjusts output according to ambient light. Not cheap at around 90 quid, less if you shop around. Most headtorches tend to be floodier than bike helmet lights because that’s what works best for running / walking. You might find the switch fiddly with winter bike gloves on the move though. And the swtitch pattern is sequential, so it goes low > medium > high > off and repeat, which isn’t ideal.

What’s the budget? I’m guessing if it’s Quark level, the Swift RL’s too much.

edit: I’ve used the Quark. Beam’s very floody. I wouldn’t use it on the bike personally.

peekay

I use an Exposure Joystick on my helmet for riding and have an elastic headband that I use for running. Works well for me, even used it for a nighttime trail marathon last week.

I have put a headtorch on the classifieds today, it is designed for wearing sans-helmet, but it could easily be bodged. Received it as a gift, but as I already have the Exposure decided to sell it.

CountZero

the quark’s beam is adjustable between narrow and really narrow, it’s also generally quite clunky and fitted with baggy elastic.

Eh? That doesn’t sound at all like the one I was using this morning at work. The beam is really wide and floody, with no central hot spot, and goes into quite a tight bright spot, probably the best zoom I’ve come across. Also the elastic is easily adjusted to fit my head, either without a hat or over one.
    Mine is about a month or two old, maybe it’s been improved on.

ta11pau1

Having been fairly unimpressed with a couple of different Alpkit models I got one of these following a recommendation on here. Very pleased with it so far.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/onnight-710-black-and-orange-id_8370255.html?iv_=__iv_p_1_g_84919629806_c_403932335474_w_pla-849014695100_n_u_d_c_v__l__t__r_x__y_15177021_f_online_o_2119077_z_GB_i_en_j_849014695100_s__e__h_1006526_ii__vi__&gclid=Cj0KCQiAxrbwBRCoARIsABEc9sjGzylAGKaZjrzNgdklrVef60IHgCOXwthcJaKxT6wZRUJipac72oMaAtdEEALw_wcB

Hows that decathlon light on a helmet? does it move around a lot?

I’ve got one too for running, a helmet light it is now, however.

The batter pack is at the back, so unless you are very lucky and it fits below the peak at the front and on a nice flat section at the back of you helmet, it’s not going to sit well. Brilliant running/walking headtorch, crap helmet light.

tweeky
    Free Member

Lumen 800 from MTB Batteries.

Got it with a head strap for my daughter’s Christmas. She’s an ultra runner and says it’s been great.

Brilliant service too. Check on this forum……….loads of recommendations.

smokey_jo

So the Decathlon one and the Bobby Dazzler 600 lumen look very similar but don’t fit on a helmet very well – is that right?

Anyone got pics of them on their helmets?

smokey_jo

Lumen 800 looks great but I need it to have it’s own headband so it will work with and without a helmet if possible

footflaps

Another happy Viper user here .

My “goto” Headtorch for mountain days and nights. I carry a pair rather than spare batteries. I have another one in the toolbox, great for working on electrics in the dark or under sinks etc….

smokey_jo

Aaggh – Alpkit Viper and Qark OOS!

Daffy

I’ve got an exposure Verso – 250 lumens, recharges using the same gear as my lights and is only 43g.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Anybody got a planet x Bobby dazzler On me Head?

Yep, I’ve got one and it’s great for dog walking over the fields, although more of a spot than a flood. I’m not certain how it will sit on my mtb lid though, although I’ve got an old Moon light with helmet mount for that. The PlanetX ‘Jobsworth Bobby Dazzler Three Degrees Powerbank 2000 PLUS 300 Lumen’ lights were a good deal at £20 each, I put two on the ‘bars and they’re very bright, and also work as a usb powerpack for ailing Garmins etc.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a headtorch’ is closed to new replies.