• This topic has 57 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Recommend me a good read
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I just thought it was really wishy-washy. It was alright, don’t get me wrong, it’s just one of those books that I’m surprised that people rave about. See, also, Wuthering Heights.

Ha! Not read that. I think the TV adaptations killed it for me…

Fair enough. I could easily apply ‘wishy-washy’ to his other books as they all seemed to be in a similar vein but never quite hitting the mark; thought SofW was great though.

I may re-read it now just to make sure. 🙂

2-1 against you.

Your move!

😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And I’m too northern and uncouth for most things, to be honest, so whilst reading I like to pretend I’m from Surrey

Yeah, booooy!

TheFajitaKid
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed this recently…

Image result for good omens book

and currently loving this …

Image result for john dies at the end book

ronniebond

Plus one for angelmaker, or anything by nick harkaway

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Borrowed this recently and although I haven’t read a novel for aeons and was quite sure I’d gone off reading –  this had me turning pages and laughing out loud in public.

Massively recommended.  A few first pages to read here see if you like the gist

Giallograle

The Young Stalin by Simon Schama is gripping.

CheesybeanZ

Bill Bryson , A Walk in the Woods is a proper laugh out loud holiday read .

Another vote for John Connoly , but I’d definitely read Every daed thing first .

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Due to the loss of a major client I’ve got a lot of spare time at the moment and I can’t fill it all with client chasing, lawn mowing and riding so I decided to get some rereading done and decided to have a shot at Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon.

Snow Crash was as good as ever but just before I dived into Cryptonomicon for the first time in five years I stumbled across a Kindle plug for The Rise and Fall of DODO.

I read it in three sittings. It was like a return to his humorous earlier stuff. Really can recommend it.

Cletus

I recently bought The Martian by Andy Weir as a £0.99 kindle deal. Having watched the film version starring Matt Damon I knew the plot but really enjoyed the writing and scientific aspects of the tale. If you enjoy (fictional) tales of survival against the odds it is a cracking read.

sefton
    Free Member

Sapiens

Jordan Peterson 12 rules of life

Grapes of wrath

All recent books I’ve enjoyed

sefton
    Free Member

Sapiens…can’t believe nobody else has recommended it

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I love The Martian even allowing for the huge inaccuracy at the start.

TheFlyingOx

I’ll always recommend Louis de Bernières. His South American Trilogy (The War of Don Emmanuel’s Nether Parts, Señor Vivo and the Coca Lord, The Troublesome Offspring of Cardinal Guzman) are utterly sublime, and his semi-non-fiction Birds Without Wings is the best book I’ve ever read.

More recently, Cormac McCarthy’s Blood Meridian is certainly worth a read and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Craig Thomas and his Kenneth Aubrey series of 1980s cold war British Intelligence novels.

CountZero

Snow Crash was as good as ever but just before I dived into Cryptonomicon for the first time in five years I stumbled across a Kindle plug for The Rise and Fall of DODO.

I’ve read Snow Crash umpteen times, but I’ve always struggled with Cryptonomicon; I saw ‘…DODO’ in Waterstones last weekend, and it looks interesting, so I’ll be checking it out.

I’ve recently read Claire North’s new book, 84k, and it’s very good indeed, and a rather scary forseeing of how society is progressing. Her previous books are very readable as well: The First Fifteen Lives Of Harry August, Touch, The Sudden Appearance Of Hope, and The End Of The Day, she takes ideas that have been used before, but manages to put her own spin on them.

boxelder

The Son, Philip Meyer

The Crow Road, Iain Banks

Sweet tooth, Ian McEwan

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. Gail Honeyman.

Humans. Matt Haig.

American Gods. Neil Gaiman.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Just finished this, would make a great holiday whodunit.

See the source image

IHN

The Son, Philip Meyer

Excellent, as is American Rust by the same author

Grapes of wrath

Excellent, as is everything else by the same author (bar “Log from the Sea of Cortez”, which is really dull). ‘East of Eden’ is epic in every sense, but I particularly liked’ Once There was a War’, a collection of his reporting from WW2. really evocative.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a good read’ is closed to new replies.