Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a glasses/goggle halfway house
  • kayak23

I’m after recommendations for some eye protection that falls somewhere between full on goggles and riding glasses.

I currently use proper goggles with my full face helmet for dh and some Jokeleys with my half-fat helmet for enduroing trail riding.

I find the normal glasses are a bit of a pain, when I try to stow them beneath my peak (Bell Super) for climbing and often fall out or poke me in the head through the vents.

I was thinking about something that wasn’t as big as full goggles, more glasses size, but had an elastic strap instead of over-ear arms… something like this..

Obviously, those in the pic are Bolle safety glasses, I don’t know which model, but has anyone found or used anything specifically that’s good for biking they can recommend?

Cheers.

tmb467
    Free Member
    Simon

Bolle Trackers are good but they still have arms (and elastic strap) and are hard to get on and off with a helmet on your head. They steam up a soon as you start going uphill and your speed drops.

kayak23

For Bolle, eBay is your friend
    Bolle Tracker II Safety Glasses – Free Strap & Bag – Clear/Smoke/Yellow Lenses

Thanks. They’ve got arms though innit. Can you remove the arms? Have you used them yourself?

Simon

I’ve got some, I’ve used them for Enduro races. The strap fixes to the arm, without the strap the glasses don’t stay in place.

Northwind

I’ve got those exact Bolles, I think they’re Cobras. Don’t like em much on the bike to be honest- they’re fine used as safety glasses but I can never get them to settle right over a helmet.

scotroutes

Oakley Windjackets. They have arms so you can use them like that and then a wee strap that fits to the arms when you want better security. You’d not get them on over a helmet, the strap fits under it. I use (prescription) Windjackets for cycling, skiing and paddling. If I want.to take them off temporarily without removing my helmet I just lower them to be round my neck

aroche
    Free Member

I use Squash safety glasses (as in for the sport squash) a fair bit when I don’t want to use full goggles.
    They’re cheap as chips and don’t fog up so much depending on what you get. Suprised more people don’t give them a go to be honest.

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve yet to find anything that doesn’t steam up when I go uphill….being an unfit lump of lard doesn’t help either

I’ve now lost my Endura Masai glasses which didn’t seem as bad as the Bolle glasses I’d had before…not tried the trackers but was considering them due to my recent loss

Northwind

Pretty much anything can be improved with a good demist treatment, even the most expensive hydrophobic/anti-steam treatments aren’t as good as a squirt of nikwax visorproof.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Pretty much anything can be improved with a good demist treatment, even the most expensive hydrophobic/anti-steam treatments aren’t as good as a squirt of nikwax visorproof.

Does that really work?

*hovers over buy button on Amazon*

kayak23

I’ve yet to find anything that doesn’t steam up when I go uphill..

Personally, I take mine off on most climbs, hence wanting the strap as else they tend to fall off.

I use a dab of Fairy liquid on mine rubbed in. Seems to keep them relatively mist free for a while.

interested in this as I find peripheral vision in normal goggles pretty poor and I’ve tried most brands.

Have anyone looked at the Bolle tactical range?

superfli
    Free Member

I bought these a few years ago as I could get goggles to fit my small face, plus they kept steaming up:

They were cheap off Deal Extreme $6.50
    http://www.dx.com/p/abs-sponge-safety-goggles-glasses-with-elastic-strap-blue-49079#.VPRS7fmsVG0

They are actually really good, no steaming and good vis, although they are tinted slightly so not great in the woods. Couldnt find any clear ones.

Northwind

@honourablegeorge- ime it works brilliantly. Not 100%, nothing is really but I use cheapo safety glasses and with the spray, they’re as unsteamy as anything I’ve used. I used it for years on the motorbike too- one bottle lasts a very long time. Other products are available 😉

Don’t get it on a linoleum floor then walk on it in your socks though, you will die.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Sounds like you need some clear swimming goggles. Could be the next big thing on the Enduro scene.

Northwind

And for innerleithen winter races, a snorkel

joshvegas
    Free Member

I had some from decathlon that you could swap from legs to band and remove the “goggle pad” and swappable lenses

They were pretty sturdy and worked very well it was nice to have the options.

They looked okay too which is unfortunate as I had three separate pairs nicked!

I think they might have been billed as snowboarding glasses.

kayak23

Ordered some of these Uvex Carbonvision goggles to try, so will report back if any good.

geoffj

Those UVEX look nice – can anyone see a tinted/yellow version anywhere?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

XC skiers on the telly quite often wear this sort of thing:

http://www.xc-elitesports.com/product_info.html?products_id=2284

Deveron53
    Free Member

I have been using Revision Bullet Ant goggles – £20 plus £4 postage on Ebay. Genuine UKMOD surplus, comes with grey, yellow and clear. Brand new and from OEM supplier, not a Chinese knock-off. Lens quality is as good as Oakley. I’ve use them for skiing and biking. A little bit of fogging when the conditions are damp. The lenses sit close to your eyes so wider field of vision and rain/dirt doesn’t affect as much due to the particles being a bit more out of focus.

kayak23

Deveron53 – Member
    I have been using Revision Bullet Ant goggles

Ooh, they look pretty cool. I’d look well mean in them… 8)
    Might try them if the Uvex are not that good.

kayak23

kayak23 – Member
    Ordered some of these Uvex Carbonvision goggles to try, so will report back if any good

Initial impressions are not too hopeful. The main problem with a lower profile goggle is that if you want to run the strap on the outside of your helmet, then the goggle isn’t deep enough to sit on your face.

It kind of sort of works and I’ve only tried it in my lounge, but I can imagine that given some rough terrain, they may move about too much.

I don’t want to have the strap inside as I want to be able to stow the goggles when climbing. May have to try a plan b, or find a version which has a deeper profile.

scotroutes

As I said above, just lower the goggles and wear them round your neck instead
    instead.

continuity
    Free Member

Bullet ants? Holy crap they are AWFUL!

If I didn’t have to account for them I’d send you one of my four pairs. They are the singularly most uncomfortable goggles in the world.

Also they steam up, but I suppose at least you have an anti-fog cloth for that.

Tip from the army; wipe neat washing up liquid on a cloth and smear it on the lenses. Polish. Stops fogging.

superfli
    Free Member

If you look at my link you’ll see the strap arms are on a hinge separate to glasses frame. They sit nicely inside a helmet Inc ff

cakefacesmallblock

I’m possibly the sweatiness human being I know 😳
    I need prescription specs and have to ride in them.
    I have tried many things over the years and still find, that a dab of washing up liquid, polished onto lenses, keeps misting up at bay really well.
    I have no idea how or why it works, but used to use this on motorcycle helmet visors yonks ago.

kayak23

scotroutes – Member
    As I said above, just lower the goggles and wear them round your neck instead
    instead.

I think I’d have a lot of misting problems with them sitting around my glowing neck on hard climbs, they are also unprotected from the visor when it’s raining, plus I’d have to work the strap up under the back of the helmet each time to stop them pulling downwards from the nape of me neck……I imagine.

I’f I can’t get lower profile goggles to work I’ll just have to go full-enduro!

Thanks for the heads up on the ant goggles. I’ll find something more comfortable to try…

Deveron53
    Free Member

I spent a day at The Lecht skiing on Sunday and wore the Bullet Ants continuously for about 5 hours. Yes, a bit of steaming up but it cleared quite quickly when I was moving. I find them as comfortable and ‘unnoticeable’ as Oakley M frames. Everyone’s face is different… I have a big nose that usually gets crushed by normal goggles.

They attach over helmets very well. They’re rubber so don’t absorb sweat. They sit close to the eye so any external debris is less likely to be in focus.

I did have steaming problems at a day skiing at Glenshee on Saturday but then so did everyone else. It was raining. One of my skiing buddies had the Adidas Tycane with the wind gasket attachment. They had RX inserts as well. The moisture got in and they are the fiddliest glasses I’ve ever seen to fit together. She was sick of them steaming up as she had to totally disassemble them to clean the fog off.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a glasses/goggle halfway house’ is closed to new replies.