Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a frying pan.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

Handle has just fallen off our one. Time for a new frying pan. What is the got to frying pan for STW?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I bought a Jamie Oliver anodised pan last new year. Normally i don’t go for endorsed products but it really is brilliantly slippy – love it.
    One of these

bencooper
    Free Member

This has happened so often to ours that I’m sure it’s designed obsolescence. The pan is always fine, the handle is always fine, the connection between the two is a poxy little bolt in an aluminium housing that corrodes away.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Feeling extravagant?
    Try a Woll. Best, most durable saute/frying pans we have ever used.
    Not cheap though at approx £70.

Can’t wait to get gas fitted to the house so I can use them again.

[Edit] Handle is detachable so you can place pan in the oven/under the grill.

thomthumb
    Free Member

de buyer or it’t not STW

mark90
    Free Member

BIL (ex-chef) bought us a set of Analon hand anodised pans as a wedding present back in 2004. They are the best pans I’ve the wife has used, and all still going strong. Not cheap, but would recommend if they are in budget.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Go for a steel/iron handle ensure its well fitted to the pan part, the steel handle will allow you to put it into the oven,

brakes
    Free Member

I have a Tivoli frying pan which is thick anodized aluminium.
    It is awesome and not too expensive – think it was about £30.
    Very hard wearing – mine takes a battering including lots of dry heating to solar temperatures and cooling under the tap. It also goes in the oven (plastic handle).
    I tend to rinse the fat out and wipe it down with kitchen roll rather than washing it as this helps to maintain ‘seasoning’.
    The bottom gets pretty clarty and the shiny ally is now stained, but it doesn’t seem to affect the speed it heats up.
    It is understated in its appearance – matt black – it’s no show-pony with no polished bits or copper, if that is your thing.

annebr
    Free Member

Anodised ones don’t like being put into the dishwasher.

I prefer stainless steel.

brakes
    Free Member

no pans like being put in the dishwasher.
    I hate stainless ones – everything sticks to them and they’re a bugger to clean.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Am i the only one that drilled and reriveted my frying pan

Its a cheap stainless steel pan from tesco nothing sticks to it when i cook. When the mrs cooks everything sticks for some reason. They say something about workmen and tools dont they ?

Like the op the handle fell off , factory fit rivets and were never really tight.

Now the handles solid , perfect for walloping over a burglers head.

Only thing ill change it for is a cast pan 🙂

fasthaggis

God,I thought STW folk grilled everything 😉

Clobber
    Free Member

I thought everything had to be smoked slowly for 36 hours in a webergreeneggsmokeyjoe…

lemonysam
    Free Member

trail_rat
    Free Member

Actually use the georgeforeman flat plate for most things but somethings require a pan. Steak for one

PiknMix
    Free Member

Old style le cruset. Heavy iron pan and so nice to cook on.

Heavy bugger though.

brakes
    Free Member

They say something about workmen and tools dont they?

a good workman can get the job done even with a badly chosen tool?

Actually use the georgeforeman flat plate

I rest my case 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

can I revise my post up there^^^^^
    everything is the same other than the brand which is Risoli.

this one.

grum
    Free Member

Just buy a rivet gun and fix the old one.

maccruiskeen

brakes
    Free Member

see! that’s what happens if you buy stainless steel pans.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No one going for ceramic coated pans? Have one and it’s pretty good.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

You need a cast iron pan. If you fancy enamelled, you can go Le Cruset or Chasseur, but I got a TK Maxx knockoff. Will last a life time and no non-stick nonsense to flake off. Season it and wash it as per instructions and it is non-stick anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yep flat plate does eggs an pancakes better than any frying pan.

brakes
    Free Member

You need a cast iron pan.

if you’re happy with glacial timescales for changing the temperature of your pan, replacing them when they crack, maintenance (?!) and needing two hands to move the damn things.

pans, especially frying pans, literally come down to taste!

sugdenr
    Free Member

Stella stainless, so far lasted 20yrs and still look almost new. Got a chapatti iron to do pankakes and stuff (’cause i’m niche innit).

stumpy01

We got a set off circulon (Infinity, I think) pans and they are excellent.
    Couldn’t quite stomach the cost of the frying pan too though so went for a John Lewis own brand pan that is pretty good; perhaps a bit thin, but very non stick and survived 2.5 yrs with no bother so far. Still seems like new. Would get the Circulon one if I could justify it, but seems ott for occasionally frying eggs in!

AlexSimon

Just searched for “Risoli frying pan” and STW comes up third with a “What frying pan?” thread from 2011.

footflaps

Now the handles solid , perfect for walloping over a burglers head.

Tsk, Tsk, you should use stainless steel bombers for that…..

brakes
    Free Member

STW comes up third with a “What frying pan?” thread from 2011.

HELP! I’m stuck in an STW vortex….
    well, at least I’m consistent, and the pan is two years older than then and still looks like new (apart from the stained bottom)

surfmat
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    HELP! I’m stuck in an STW vortex….

Awesome!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a frying pan.’ is closed to new replies.