• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by boobs.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a fork for a 26" Five please.
  • roverpig

I’ve been splitting my riding between the fatbike and my old (26″) Five. I keep toying with the idea of replacing the Five, but to be honest, I can’t find anything I’d prefer so I’m thinking of treating it to some new bits instead.

It’s currently got Fox Float 32 forks at 140mm, which work fine, but a few years ago I fitted some 150m Pikes and it felt noticeably better. Unfortunately, in a moment of madness (when I thought I’d sell the Five) I got rid of the Pikes and am now baulking a bit at the cost of new ones.

I’d probably need to buy new as I prefer a muck longer steerer than most people seem to like (~230mm).

Riding is the usual mix of natural trails and the odd trail centre. Mostly wheels on the ground and not too crazy, but a bit of popping off stuff, the odd drop and plenty of rocks/roots.

So, any recommendations?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whatever you can find second hand at a good price, you would be mad to drop new fork money on 26″ these days

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I ran a BOS Deville at 160mm on mine (with slackset and offset bushings!) and it was awesome. The fork was great – mucho faffing to get it setup as well as my new Pike was basically out the box. Can pick them up pretty cheap now though – sold mine for about £220 I think.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’d probably need to buy new as I prefer a muck longer steerer than most people seem to like (~230mm).

Can you just run high rise bars instead and pick up a fork with 200-210mm steerer?

martinhutch

If you like a high bar anyhow, how about some 27.5 forks? At least they would be around for when you finally get rid of the Five which might justify the cost, and you’ll get clearance for bigger tyres with a 26 inch wheel.

poah
    Free Member

mattock pro2

roverpig

I’m already running bars with 40mm rise 🙂

Maybe it’s just because I’m getting older and less flexible or maybe I’ve just got odd proportions, but I’ve never really got on with the fashion for low front ends. It just seems so much easier to move the bike around (manuals etc) if the bars are roughly level with the saddle at normal pedalling height. I’m sure that used to be the recommendation for mountain bikes a few years back. But you’re right, it does make finding second hand forks nigh on impossible.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a 26″ fork. The A-C on a 27.5 Pike, for example, is only 10mm more than a 26″ one of the same travel. So, a 27.5 140mm Pike would be the same as the 26 150mm that I ran in the past.

poah
    Free Member

I’m running a 650b fork on my 26inch suppressor. can’t tell the difference

crumpygrunt
    Free Member

I’ve got X-Fusion Slants on mine – they do the job well

roverpig

Thanks Folks. The mattock pro2 and X-Fusion Slants are both good calls, although neither are that easy to find.

wl
    Free Member

I ran 150mm Pikes on my 2013 26″ Five and for me it was spot on for natural stuff in the Lakes and Pennines. Before that I had top-spec Revs and they were still good, though not as good. Now on a 2107 Five with 150mm 36s and it’s a significantly better all-rounder and still just as fun.

roverpig

That’s the problem really. I thought the 150mm Pikes were pretty damn good too. I’m hoping that there will be something else as good but a bit cheaper, but might just have to bite the bullet.

I’m sure the latest Orange bikes are better than my 2013 Five really, but unless they bring back neon orange they’re all going to feel like a downgrade 🙂

Del

yari? cheaper than pikes anyway..

nedrapier

presumably you’ve got a tapered steerer? Would have thought your list of possibles would be shorter if you were looking at straight 1 1/8 only?

hodgynd
    Free Member

Wl..bloody hell you Time Lord ..what are mountain bikes like in the future ..do we still have to pedal..?

crumpygrunt
    Free Member

Just get new Pikes and keep the Five forever! Eventually 26’s will come back into trend after all the bike companies have bled everyone dry with this 27.5 and 29 malarkey!! 😆

WildHunter2009

Have some Fox 36 Vanilla RC2 in the garage with various springs you could message me about if interested. Been meaning to sell the ruddy things for ages but keep on toying with a 2nd hand frame for them.

roverpig

Just get new Pikes and keep the Five forever!

I’m beginning to think that may be the way to go. Since buying the Five (four years ago now) I’ve bought four bikes, all of which were going to replace it. But three have now gone and I keep coming back to the Five. Not sure why, maybe it’s just the colour 😳

I did do another skills course the other week though, which just reminded me yet again that it’s not the bike that holds me back.

A set of Pikes, a GX Eagle groupset, maybe drill the frame for a longer stealth dropper and it’s probably still as good (for me) as anything out there.

Anyway, enough chat, surely it’s time for a picture 🙂

boobs

I have some 160 pikes sitting in the garage, make me an offer.

roverpig

If they’ve got a 230mm tapered steerer could you send me some pictures? My email should be in my profile. Thanks.

boobs

At work at the moment, I’ll sort pics tomorrow.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a fork for a 26" Five please.’ is closed to new replies.