Recommend me a First Aid Course

Home Forum Chat Forum Recommend me a First Aid Course

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me a First Aid Course
  • Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

found this – is it likely to be any good? Anyone done it?

Dave

z1ppy

basically tells you to call an ambulance for absolutely everything

Well my nurse g/f says this is the best thing to do, full stop. If a person has an injury, get the professionals on the way & try and make them comfortable (no requirment to move to do this). Too many know it all trying to get ppl into the recovery position or trying to bandage them up.
    Don’t get her started on the St John’s Ambulance or track day medical ppl.

and to try and avoid doing anything that would get you sued.

Obviously absolute rubbish, you can’t be sue for trying to help (you already knew that though didn’t you)

EDIT: It’s about getting ppl proper help, not stopping ppl being helpful in a bad situations. She doesn’t disprove of first aiders, just the ‘type’ of ppl who “tend” to become them (she was a trainer too for a while)…

Sorry obivously not helping in your quest, though a friend who needed one (for her job) had a hell of a time lately trying to locate one & the training companies were next to useless.

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

@z1ppy: yeah, yeah, i know..

My point is more that I want to be able to do something useful if we’re an hour’s walk away from a road; it is all very well practising your best ambulance phoning voice, but if you’re in the wind and rain and one of your riding buddies has got a bit of a gushing leg wound, I’d rather have spent that time practising stopping the bleeding.

Dave

z1ppy

it’s very true & I admire you for doing it (rather than being the office “first aider”), it’s something I should do something about… m8’s crash @ afan last Sat had me/us very worried & that was in a accessible location (He cycled out but was in pain)

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

no one?

I rather hoped that more MTB people would know something about first aid… judging by the number of injury threads, I thought people would want to know what to do!

Dave

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

It’s been a few years since I last did a first aid course, and that was one of these rubbish ‘first aid at work’ courses that basically tells you to call an ambulance for absolutely everything and to try and avoid doing anything that would get you sued.

So… can anyone recommend me a decent first aid course, based more around patching people up so they can hobble back to the car, or at least survive long enough for mountain rescue to arrive?

I’m in Cheltenham, if that makes any difference.

Cheers,
    Dave

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

As ever REC or BASP

Both are fine courses, usually run by excellent people who know their stuff and avoid the usual first aid cliche’s and issues.

I too have done a few crap first aid courses run by ‘first aid trainers’ not practitioners –
    Took my three yearly BASP last week with Jeff Starkey who was excellent. Anyone who has been on a SDA or Scottish mtb event, he is one of the first aiders there.

Jaz1979

Am in a almost identical situation, with the first aid at work being nothing more useful than calling for help – no good when you are miles away in the hills.

Ended up using google and will probably use these folks http://www.reactfirst.co.uk/First-Aid-Outdoor.asp

IanMunro

I rather hoped that more MTB people would know something about first aid… judging by the number of injury threads, I thought people would want to know what to do!

Check airway and get in recovery position if unconscious.
    Try and reduce bleeding. Get help if needed.
    Keep warm if hypothermic.
    What other scenarios were you envisaging in this country?

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

Check airway and get in recovery position if unconscious.
    Try and reduce bleeding. Get help if needed.
    Keep warm if hypothermic.
    What other scenarios were you envisaging in this country?

That stuff sounds like common sense, but I would like to practice and be given hints and tips and advice on technique, so that I can be effective if the need arises.

I recently had to dress quite a large wound on my friend’s leg after a bit of a stack while we were touring. I was aware that I wasn’t doing anything particularly ‘medical’, I was doing it as an engineer. Figuring out the problem and repairing it. It made me think that I should learn a little more so that I could do a bit more; particularly if a wound went beyond surface level or involved something I couldn’t just bandage up.

Dave

Pyro

As Matt says, REC would be a good choice. The REC instructors have the leeway to tailor courses to the skillsets people need, a lot more so than St. Johns etc (don’t get me started on them, either…)

I’ve done the REC 1-day EFAW, 3-day FAW (as a member of a water safety and rescue team) and their extra day Mountain and Aquatic bolt-ons and would highly recommend all of them.

IanMunro

Personally I wouldn’t be too keen on anyone doing anything more than superficial stuff on me unless they turned up in something resembling a paramedic uniform 🙂
    My feeling, and in not anyway backed up by personal experience, is that these sort of things are of very limited value unless you can put them into regular use. E.g there’s knowledge, then there’s confidence, skill and experience to apply that knowledge.
    But I applaud your motivation, and could be completely wrong in my thoughts. What we really need is Drac on the thread for a definitive answer.

Premier Icon alfabus
    Subscriber

not proposing to do more than superficial stuff, but knowing when/where to press hard on a wound, how to immobilise something so we can walk/ride off, what to do with burns or sprains or breaks or whatever…

knowledge is useful; even it it just tells me that we should sit tight and wait for people to rescue us.

REC seem to be based in Glasgow… do they run courses elsewhere? their website course searching returns no results.

Dave

Pyro

Yeah, the office is in Glasgow but they have trainers all over the place. Where are you based?

Absolutely, definitely BASP. One of the most informative and interesting courses of any kind I have done ever.

Specifically designed for first aiding in situations where professional help may be hours away and doing nothing could jeapordise the likely survival of the casualty, or at least make their ordeal much worse than it could be. The courses are taught by guys who have real experience – my teacher was the chief medical officer for the Cairngorm mountain rescue team.

Pyro

Sorry, just read the original post again, Cheltenham it appears. Try emailing REC HQ – past conversations bring to mind the name Linda working there – and ask for details of your local instructors.

Premier Icon mccann.ben
    Subscriber

I did “activity first aid course” through my local St Johns at Weybridge.
    I can highly reccomend as they will cover stuff that you should not do in the UK but might be useful if you are in the middle of no-where travelling around the world (i.e. someone there was planning a cycle across Africa!)
    Also pretty biased towards outdoors situations.

Good idea to get on a course. Thumbs up!

Premier Icon ART
    Subscriber

I did one with this lot http://www.vitalsigns.org.uk/index.html targeted at mountainbikers, although arguably a generic course for the outdoorsy brigade. Recommended by Cyclewise amongst others. Although it’s nowhere near you (or me for that matter) but it gave me a good excuse to book some extra time off to play in the Lakes 🙂 . Was intensive, there’s a lot to remember and of course you ain’t gonna suddenly transform into Dr Ross from ER, but it provides you with foundations and some basic rules to guide you should you be unfortunate enough to need to use it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a First Aid Course’ is closed to new replies.