Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me a DH helmet (please).
  • eulach

I just went in 4 bike shops looking for one and saw four different helmets – base model IXS and Bell, a fancy Fox for 350 notes (no MIPS though) and a Giro with a very skimpy chin guard . So the internets it will have to be. Budget 200 – 300 quid. Uplift only, no removable chinguard wanted or needed. Preferably something with removable/adaptable inserts. What have you got, STW?

superdan

I’ve had a few, last was a Troy Lee D3, which was a really comfortable helmet, but currently racing in a 100% Aircraft, which I prefer. On CRC for £150+ if you can cope with being in last years colours (the horror!).

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve got a fox rampage pro, it’s great. D3s are also great. POC are also great! I looked at the 100%  aircraft and i think i heard something about the chinstrap sitting weirdly. Can’t quite remember.

clubby

From unfortunate personal experience, I can state that Specialized Dissedent offer good protection.

Under your budget too, and really comfy for the three hot days in Whistler it lasted.

tomhoward

Another +1 for a D3

Wookster

I’ve got a D3 after trying everything st the NEC I could lay my hands on a few years ago and it was the most comfortable by far!!

nickc

Another vote for 100%, personally found the Status more comfy than the Aircraft. POC I tried was sized for me (M/L) but I swear if i’d have move my head quickly, the POC was so big, it would have stayed put.

Also, for much cheapness, look at Lazer Phoenix, crazy cheap prices, and really nice helmet (for the price)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

you can have my 661 carbon for £30 collected, white blue and errr, carbon.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Fit is more important than anything else in a full face helmet IMO – you can’t adjust it like you can with an open helmet so it has to fit snug before you do the straps up. My LBS (Leisure lakes) were very accommodating and ordered in a few different brands and sizes – I tried a D3, Giro, Urge and a couple of others and eventually bought a Fox Rampage.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve got a D3 carbon, I could probably wear it all day it’s that comfortable.

Try a few first though as everybody has a different head!

eulach

Thanks, guys. That’s given me some options to think about.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Fit is more important than anything else in a full face helmet

This. I tried a load on and not only was the sizing wildly different between brands, the shape of the helmet was too. Some fitted way better than others and a couple just weren’t the right shape for my head. Try a bunch on and go with which ever ones fit best, if there’s more than one then you can compare price/features etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a DH helmet (please).’ is closed to new replies.