Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Recommend me a decent bank..
  • Podium
    Free Member

Santander = shocking service,lies,several system generated overdraft charges [never even remotely close to being overdrawn and they admitted it was their error] yada yada.

Despise them with a passion!!

So,I need to change banks and would welcome some recommendations from the Muddy Mob.

Cheers.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

First Direct.

uplink
    Free Member

smile

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Podium
    Free Member

Need a branch to pay cash into on a regular basis.

uplink
    Free Member

smile

The coop bank or any Post office to pay into

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Podium, First Direct users can use any HSBC branch for counter banking.

Podium
    Free Member

Ahh…nice one!

backhander
    Free Member

Nationwide for me. Used many, they top the satisfaction chart for me.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

HSBC are crap. Had internal fraud on my account everything taken down to the last penny of my overdraft facility. I kept the account open and have had nothing but problems. Rude staff if you use the counter service, incorrect bank charges and thier inability to understand I have moved house. I’m looking for a new bank also, wouldn’t trust anything in the HSBC group.

damo2576
    Free Member

Coutts

Podium
    Free Member

Well that’s HSBC off the list then.Hard to believe any of the alternatives could be as bad as Santander,mind.
    Shame as plenty of local HSBC branches,unlike co op for smile.

God I hate banks.

Podium
    Free Member

Don’t you have to be well off to be with Coutts?

Podium
    Free Member

Costs £600 a year to run a Coutts current account…

damo2576
    Free Member

Frankly all banks are as awful as each other. Pick one that’s financially the best deal. Even then there’s only a fag paper between them. May as well pick the one with nicest card design!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Ha ha Damo that’s the best advice,

onewheelgood

firstdirect. They win all the comparison tests. I’ve been with them since they opened – never an issue, always helpful.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

+1 for First Direct. Been with them about 15 years now and they’re like a breath of fresh air compared to the rest of the bunch.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

First Direct might be part of HSBC, but their customer service is a polar opposite, I am an ex HSBC customer who moved to First Direct, I must have been with them now for about 15 years.

Had a phone call the other week, an independent customer satisfaction survey, who do you bank with? “First Direct”, ah, we don’t need anymore responses from their customers. Doesn’t mean good service, but as the surveys consistently place them high on the lists of customer satisfaction tehn they most be doing something right.

ghostdog
    Free Member

Co-op. As stated above, you can use any Post Office for withdrawals or deposits.

allthegear
    Free Member

smile – They have been absolutely fantastic with me.

Rachel

forge197
    Free Member

First Direct brilliant bank great service.

Edric64
    Free Member
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Coutt’s, Hoare’s or Fleming’s.

😉

fadda

Tesco. Or Metro. The banks of the near future…

Podium
    Free Member

Smile have a shocking website.On that basis *I’m Out*

I may give First Direct a try although I think they have a high monthly deposit requirement.I prefer to pay in as much as I want to,not what they stipulate.

Cheers for now.

druidh
    Free Member

*Open a 1st Account and transfer your monthly salary/income of at least £1,500 within three months and we will add £100 to your account. This offer is only available for people who haven’t previously experienced the delights of banking with first direct.

A bank for the wealthy!

Podium
    Free Member

FD can Eff off as my income is variable and i’m going to open another account elsewhere.

Also did it say £12 pm for the privilege,minimum contract 1 year.i don’t think so.

Next…

Podium
    Free Member

They make gazillions utilising our money on the markets.I should charge them £12 pm!

God I hate banks.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

First Direct, great service, simple products, cheap mortgage interest

🙂

Podium
    Free Member

Don’t forget to vote on the Smile website –

“who’s the king of the pirates?”

Is it a bank account for 7 year olds who don’t get any older?

Podium
    Free Member

Sorry Penrod FD are a double fail.

footflaps

I’ve been with Barclays for ages and can’t fault their service.

theyEye
    Free Member

I can recommend First Direct and Cater Allen. Owned by HSBC and Santander respectively, but very different operations.

Podium
    Free Member

Not touching with a barge poll if they are owned by Santander.Just seeing the S logo makes my blood boil.

Podium
    Free Member

£20 notes under the mattress methinks.

Mackem

First direct – they treat you like an adult, their staff are intelligent and are actually allowed to do things outside the usual call-centre script.

nicko74

First Direct is part of Natwest, not HSBC, I thought?
    I’m a Nationwide customer, and I really can’t recommend them any more, as they’re moving more and more to a profit-making setup (low interest rates on savings, even compared to the high street; high charges for being overdrawn and now for using the card abroad).

Cahoot wasn’t bad for me, in a kind of inoffensive, just works kinda way. NatWest, interestingly, hasn’t been too terrible in the last year or so. To be honest, my advice with any bank would be to spend as little time as possible in there, talking to them or in any way overlapping with them.

Banks in North America charge you for the privilege of giving them your money, but at least the customer service is decent.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Co-Op. Ethical as well as 100% faultless since we’ve been with them (+10 years). I’ve worked for two of the other biggest banks in the UK and wouldn’t bank with them if they paid me (which technically, they did).

druidh
    Free Member

FD is part of HSBC

I’ve been with cahoot almost since they started, but gradually falling out with them, mostly due to some strange credit card balance/payment conditions. The products they offer have been gradually reducing as they are subsumed into the Santander alliance…..

Off to look at Smile…

shadthebad
    Free Member

First Direct is definitely part of HSBC.

If you take a second product from them, like a credit card, then there is no monthly charge for the current account.

It’s always a person on the end of the phone and they’ve always answered within 3 rings, even at 5, morning or afternoon. The online banking is excellent too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a decent bank..’ is closed to new replies.