Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend me a cooker for use in my vaaaaaaan
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Spent the first very successful night in my van last night but the one thing missing was my cup of tea in the morning as well as cold overnight oats. I was planning on getting one of those cheapo cookers that come in a hard shell case but I’m wondering if I should be thinking otherwise.

Realistically I need it to be able to make one nice cup of tea for breakfast, maybe two at a push in case its at the end of ride and any potential passenger wants a cup. I’d also like it to be able to warm up my overnight oats (not boil them, just warm them) not cook an English Breakfast etc. Size isn’t a big issue because its going to always just be in the van but having said that I also don’t want anything massive just because of slotting it in.

Ease is very important and I don’t want to spend 10 minutes waiting for it (hence not just going for a 12v kettle). Wind protection isn’t a huge issue as I wont be hill side, probably just sat on my back step of the van. I had planned to warm soup etc. for my tea and therefore the bigger cooker may of worked but I’m wondering if I’ll just end up finding somewhere to eat nearby therefore getting a normal amount of food and ease.

I’ve seen the jetboils and alpkit but my worry is they’re just going to muller my breakfast rather than just warm it enough. May be the Brukit would be a good option?

Not sure on budget but seeing as it only has to be used for limited jobs and an occasional sat/sun morning I don’t want to spend heaps.

llama

What he said

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They are rubbish!! Cheap but needs a windshield and doesn’t really kick enough out in the cold.

One of the classic camping gas ones works better as the back works as the wind shield, small bottle works with a few other things

GolfChick
    Free Member

Yeah that type was my initial thought, maybe for the low cost I’ll just stick to my plan.

Moses

cashwise, a 2nd hand GUmtree Camping Gaz stove will do you fine.

Remember,, NO BARBECUES IN THE VAN. or you might die

rene59
    Free Member

Those types linked above are perfect for van camping (but obviously not in the van in an enclosed space etc etc).

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Those types linked above are perfect for van camping (but obviously not in the van in an enclosed space etc etc).”

Tell me what’s different to them than to my smev that is fixed in place inside the van. ?

Obviously have your carbon monoxide monitor fitted and crack a window.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

alpkit brewkit

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tell me what’s different to them than to my smev that is fixed in place inside the van. ?

Presuming caravans meet the same standard as boats then there should be enough ventilation installed, the gas locker should vent from its lowest point to outside etc.

Camping gas Chef if you ever want to use it outside or more often than just occasionally, or those cartridge ones if its just in the van and don’t want to have to carry a heavy gas bottle around.

trail_rat
    Free Member

To be fair if your sleeping in A van you’ll want that self same ventilation or your going to wake up in asoggy condensation mess.

If you go down cartridge route always remember to remove the cartridge when you are driving. They don’t like vibration and have a. Tendancy I leak there was a transit custom went boom because of one of them last year

P20

Alpkit brukit comes with a pan stand. I’ve never used a pan but it’s effective for hot water

Davesport

My wife camps in her Berlingo and uses a very similar stove to the one in the link. I can’t honestly fault it. Easy to use, self contained and stable whilst cooking. Gas available and cheap.

Obvious caveats, ventilation/flammable materials etc.

jamesoz

I use a cheap one like in the link. It came in a plastic carry case that can be used as a windshield. If it’s cold enough for one of those not to work, then I won’t be camping. Oh it’s also impossible to put back in the case without the cartridge disengaging.

mactheknife

What scotroutes says up there. I have one and it works a treat. Nice and stable which I like.

For the money they are hard to beat.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I have something similar to this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yellowstone-Hurricane-Backpack-Stove/183175610964?hash=item2aa61e0254:g:8zIAAOSw~epZhZqF

Takes a small canister. More stable than onenthat mounts on a canister. Small and light works well.

mugsys_m8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-Carena%C2%AE-Single-Cylinder-included/dp/B0002DF17W

This will be cheaper to run in the long term than disposable cartridges. More environmentally friendly as well. It uses the re-fillable larger gas bottles. Not as compact as some of the other options though, and the inital outlay relatively high due to the cost of getting the gas.

trail_rat
    Free Member

good point about waste there mugsys m8 also those little canisters although cheap are $* for Lb the most expensive way of heating food/water short of burning 5 pound notes .

*foreign keyboard

lex666

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/173483-camping-chef.html/

i carry one of these cheap but might be on the large size, packs up for transport but needs regulator and 904 or 907 bottle deposit is steep.empty bottle on ebay maybe

mav12
    Free Member

i use a bulin t4 for fishing  duties. £21 from ebay  cant fault it ,  i use coleman c500 canisters  6 pack for  £21  or get go outdoors to price  beat , they last ages

thecaptain
    Free Member

what scotroutes said but unless you are very confident of the conditions, make a proper windshield from a few bits of board hinged together or cloth with frame etc. In our case it’s just for the odd coffee/tea/pasta/porridge, no point getting a proper kitchen for that. We’re camping in the van, it’s not a mobile home.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Cheers everyone i’ll stick to similar to what scotroutes posted, maybe a GoOutdoors alternative as I’ve got one of their stores a 5 min drive away!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a cooker for use in my vaaaaaaan’ is closed to new replies.