Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Recommend me a cheap bbq
  • DrJ

Now that I’ve finally moved into a place with a garden, I need to complete the British summer experience by undercooking some burgers in the back yard. I’m looking for a cheap bbq. The ones I’ve seen are a 70 quid “oil drum” model and a Weber circular kettle one which is a bit more money. First, I’ve worked in the oil industry long enough to know that that ain’t no oil drum, but maybe it does the job. Or maybe the Weber one is better quality and will survive better – not so much survive intensive cooking use, but survice the British winter (September to July) without being unusable next year. Or maybe I’m over-thinking this….

ElShalimo

Weber make good BBQs

this is a good shop to buy from

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/browse/charcoal-bbq.asp

DrP

Get a Weber.
    Choose gas of coals, and the weber to suit.
    They REALLY are built better, and will last.

DrP

dmck16
    Free Member

Weber.

I bought mine second hand for not much money. It has spent 2 winters (edit: 3 winters actually) outside under a cover and still looks great.

My only slight gripe is that I wish I held out for a larger size, rather than the compact. A bigger one would be easier to use while smoking joints of meat.

TiRed

Have a big weber kettle and a portable weber. If you are cooking for small numbers, get the small portable one at the expense of something bigger from another brand for the same money. Their build quality is superb. I also have the firepit that gets used more often.

For a couple of burgers, some haloumi and the odd sausage, using 30 briquettes is profligate, go smaller unless there are a lot of you and you will use it regularly.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Webber are quality but I think you need room to cook as a priority. So I would take the bigger cheap drum type over a small webber. A big decent drum type are the best, gas ones are a waste of money in my book.

Any of them will last if you look after it.

toby1

For small (ir)regular use the go anywhere is hard to beat. I.e. I use it to feed 2 people multiple times a week usually.

If you want to feed more get a bigger BBQ of course. Napoleon are also decent, but not cheaper.

ElShalimo

We’ve got a Napoleon, it’s very good but not cheap.

Our is a 5yr old version of this one and is still in great condition:

https://www.bbqworld.co.uk/napoleon/napoleon-charcoal-kettle-grill-nk22ckl.asp

Klunk
    Free Member

we’ve had one of these for the last 10 ish years and it’s been fab, though it’s quite thin and cheap in places it lives in the garden in all weathers and never fails, quite small but as theres only 2 of us and we usually go for a single “dish” chicken or fish.

bigginge

Another vote for a second hand webber as a good place to start; I pickup up two (one full size and one portable) kettle types a few years back for £20 on Facebook marketplace. These are both still in exactly the same state they were when I got them up despite just being stored in a exposed corner of the garden since they came home.

ads678

I had this one from Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5981887? for the last few year, which I suspect is the one you’ve seen. TBH it was great really couldn’t fault it, can cook loads on it or just use one side. I could also fit a bbq top pizza oven on it which was good. Only got rid of it becuase I wanted a gas one and didn’t have space to keep both.

Recommended it to a mate and he loves it as well. It was quite a bit cheaper when I bought it though….

freeagent
    Free Member

Second hand 57cm Weber from FB Marketplace.
    You should find something nice for less than £100 if you’re not in a rush.
    They also hold their money really well, so you’d get back what you paid for it if you decide it isn’t for you.

Weber grills really are fantastic, replacement parts easy to get (garden centres will stock new grates etc) and there is a huge range of aftermarket stuff out there – i got a stainless rotisserie ring from Amazon recently for half the cost of the Weber version.

I’m quite into my BBQ and have a fancy Ceramic Kamado BBQ, but the Weber still gets regular use.

I’m @Matt_cooks_and_rides on the ‘gram if you want to see what you can turn out on a Weber.

mogrim

Another vote for a 57cm Weber – just the basic model, although I’ve bought some baskets for the coals, helps set it up for direct/indirect heat, and there’s a big gap in the middle where I usually put a baking pan with an inch of water to keep the humidity up and stabilise the temperature a bit.

joebristol

Second hand 57cm Weber from FB Marketplace.
    You should find something nice for less than £100 if you’re not in a rush.

This is a really good option. They’re enamelled on the outside and under a cover they’ll be ok left outside all year.

57cm is good enough either for normal ‘grilling’ or some indirect cooking of large joints of lamb / pork etc. I’ve even done 6 hour smoking of brisket in mine using the ‘snake’ method of stacking the charcoal briquettes.

Don’t use instant light type stuff – use plain charcoal briquettes and get yourself a large chimney starter – will be the best £20 ish you’ll spend on bbq stuff. You can guarantee within about 40 mins of lighting you’ll have a full chimney of white hot coals ready to cook everytime. No fannying about with piles of coals and loads of paper and lighting fuel – just stick 3 Weber lighting cubes under the chimney and you’re good to go.

If you do t need that much cool space and you’re just grilling for a few of you the 47cm is usually cheaper – or John Lewis have the ‘go anywhere’ for £85 at the moment – I just bought one for camping trips / grilling burgers and stuff when there are just 3 of us and I don’t want to get the 57cm master touch one on the go.

I maybe a bbq addict as I also have a gas Broilking Baron for when I’m cooking for loads of people and need the Weber plus the broilking to keep up with demand.

Charcoal is way better tasting though – even with charcoal it’s good to soak some wood chips an hour before and get them onto of the hot coals from time to time to add more Smokey taste to things. Boneless and skinless Chicken thighs in particular come out great with this method without much effort.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I was going to recommend this one that we paid <£100 for about 3 yrs ago. Its now £170 !!!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8688022?clickPR=plp:10:43

Its kept outside under a cover and is slowly rusting away, I reckon we will get another 2 yrs out of it.

I never got the closed lid thing, but its amazing and produces the best food.

We have cooked the Xmas Turkey on it, quite often chickens etc too

footflaps

57cm Webber here, lives outside all year under a cover – a few spots of rust after 7-10 years (can’t recall when I bought it).

IHN

I have a basic Weber. It’s about 15 years old and is still in excellent condition. This one:

Same here, and mine’s at least 20 years old cos I remember using it when we had a do for the Golden Jubilee… Has mainly lived in a garage/shed in the winter, but has definitely spent a few outside under a basic BBQ cover. Genuinely, I reckon it’s good for another 20 years.

I normally have coals on half of the grate (using an old tinfoil tray as a barrier) so there’s a ‘hot’ side for searing and a ‘medium’ side for cooking with indirect heat

joebristol

I was going to recommend this one that we paid <£100 for about 3 yrs ago. Its now £170 !!!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8688022?clickPR=plp:10:43

Its kept outside under a cover and is slowly rusting away, I reckon we will get another 2 yrs out of it.

I never got the closed lid thing, but its amazing and produces the best food.

We have cooked the Xmas Turkey on it, quite often chickens etc too

Even at £100 I wouldn’t buy that one – says it all that it’s gradually rusting away. The Weber will last a lot longer than that – looking online a basic 57cm Weber kettle without the fancy master touch ash collection thing underneath / hinged grill with the gbs changeable middle piece is £135 brand new.

https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/15982670/weber-bar-b-kettle-charcoal-kettle-57cm-15982670/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&istCompanyId=415fd961-0fbe-471a-8d25-aa4bf950e4dc&istFeedId=3287f15f-80da-4a73-a88d-add9cd484610&istItemId=ilplwwrwx&istBid=tztx&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt8D52PS–AIVvWDmCh3quQCYEAQYASABEgKdhvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Get a Weber. Will last years.
    Check out Dawsons Department Store on Clitheroe, they usually have sales on and sell off the BBQs.
    They currently have a 47cm kettle for under £100 and a 57cm one for £118.

Weber Kettle BBQ

footflaps

Looks likes ours was a MasterTouch Weber, pretty sure it was under £100 when I bought it, but RRP is now over £300!

krixmeister

(Speaking as a certified Texan, so I know my BBQ 😀):

If you have the cash, go Weber. They are quality, and will last years longer than anything else.

If you’re looking for a cheap one, my Father’s Day gift was an £80 BBQ from Morrisons, that looks suspiciously like this (cheaper) one from B&Q. I’ve only cooked on it a couple of times, but having gone through a fair few BBQs over the years, I was impressed with the price/quality ratio.

https://www.diy.com/departments/freestanding-charcoal-bbq-grill-portable-cooking-smoker-cooker-w-wheels/5056029888629_BQ.prd?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2MWVBhCQARIsAIjbwoMadqZxUTDyqgN5xargziN3tYdHttJ9gWIk9DUmLsitSpdtrkQSOjMaAtyVEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

DrJ

Thanks all. Good shout about the chinmney starter – makes a chore into a simple task.

footflaps

Thanks all. Good shout about the chinmney starter – makes a chore into a simple task.

Very quick as well, can get it going in under 20 mins

bearnecessities

Sorry to hijack a thread slightly, DrJ, but any recommendations for a good quality portable one?

I’m happy to spend, but want something piss easy to use & transport. The Weber smokey Joe premium seems to tick the boxes apart from a few reviews that say it’s a bit shit at getting up to temp.

Or is that just reviews from idiots not following instructions? (Not that I will religiously, because I’m also an idiot)

Cougar

Check out Dawsons Department Store on Clitheroe

Christ, are they still going? I used to go in there with my grandparents as a kid.

Kryton57

57cm Weber again, please just get one with a chimney starter. `

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Our Weber is like Trigger’s broom – 15 years old now and still good as new.

I’d definitely buy another one.

joebristol

@bearnecessities

Sorry to hijack a thread slightly, DrJ, but any recommendations for a good quality portable one?

I’m happy to spend, but want something piss easy to use & transport. The Weber smokey Joe premium seems to tick the boxes apart from a few reviews that say it’s a bit shit at getting up to temp.

Or is that just reviews from idiots not following instructions? (Not that I will religiously, because I’m also an idiot)

You want a Weber ‘Go Anywhere’. I don’t know why John Lewis have them so cheap but I bought one and it looks great. I considered the Smokey joe at its kettle shaped but reviews suggested the go anywhere is better. It has both too and bottom vents to control heat with the lid on and the legs fold up and over the top for travelling.

https://www.johnlewis.com/weber-go-anywhere-charcoal-bbq/p721705

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

@Cougar
    Ha yep they are still there.

stumpy01

A good mate bought me & my Wife a Weber kettle BBQ as a wedding present 9 years ago.

I’d always had them down as over priced, but am a complete convert. It’s spent it’s whole life outside under a not-so-waterproof cover and it is still in brilliant condition.

Before getting that we’d gone through several cheap kettle BBQs where bits would sieze or snap off in a year or two and then they’d start rusting, but this Weber just keeps on going.

Will definitely replace when the time comes with another.

DrP

RE portable…
    I’ve got a ‘go anywhere’ and it’s a great charcoal BBQ…
    but… a few years back i got a gas q1200…
    It’s fab – heats up real quick, and (importantly) cools down when you want it to, so can take it on a picnic etc, then actually go home again after!
    I got a flat plate for one half, so can cook steak/muschrooms/fish etc with ease…

Yeah, it’s gas..but…

DrP

Freester

@DrJ where are you in the country I’ve got an Argos charcoal one taking up space in the garage. I used it for for 2 summers before getting (you guessed it) a Weber. Happy to give away but I’m in Dorset.

It’s got a cover. It’s not the cooking that ruins barbecues it’s the repetitive rinse / dry cycle out in the garden. My barbecues stay out in the garden from April-Oct but under a cover / tarp then go into the garage for the winter.

Edit:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3451113

This is the one cost me £45 when I bought it 6 years ago!!!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.