Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • recommend me a CCTV system
  • captain_bastard
    Free Member

After something for me Mum, basic requirement would be something so she can see whose at the door (Safe style windows have called twice this week, she’s smart enough to tell them to do one, but rather not get off the sofa in the first place!)

Beyond that, i’d like it to record, work at night and be expandable so i can add extra cameras

Happy to hard-wire data and power, which i’m assuming would be better than wi-fi and batteries.

What does the STW hive think?

giant_scum
    Free Member

I installed a Swann Power over Ethernet system earlier this year.

Very straightforward and you can view it on your smartphone via the app.

Think Costco have the system on offer again currently.

Liftman

Above +1

highpeakrider
    Free Member

I use a Hikvision Hi Watch system with 4mp cameras, don’t use the 2mp cams.

https://www.cctvsuppliersuk.co.uk/collections/hiwatch

Fairly cheap IP solution and if she has broadband you an access it via a phone app.

Mine has been rock solid.

zippykona
    dmorts

I have a Hikvision NVR with 2TB drive for sale if you’re interested? PM me and I’ll send the details

jamesoz

The Swann system in that link states BNC connections, basically a bit like tv Aerial cable. The cameras will be powered by a separate 12v feed.

I fitted a Swann system my boss bought a few years ago. It worked ok if a bit clunky and as far as I know still does.

The cables to the cameras are a pain to run as you either need to cut the moulded BNC plugs off and solder back or drill bigger holes than you might want to.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

Hikvision nvr and 4K cameras powered over erthernet, our fitter installs Swann systems and reckons the hikvision app and cameras are better quality.

fossy

Got a Lorex system from Maplin and hooked up two additional Swan cameras on the wired system – full 1080p easy install with a hd recorder for over a week, and web access.  Got it as we had their sister company’s FLIR home camera for my mother in law –  both have been great.

Caught a ‘friend’ we had employed to take my relative out, commenting and abusing our family – I wasnt popular in the family when I told them this person was horrid…. all caught on camera between cared for person and so called ‘friend’

I’m still not liked for calling this person out…

zippykona

Getting the swan system recommended above  tonight.

If i do the computer set up on  home broadband will I run into trouble when I connect it to shop broadband?

daern
    Free Member

I have a Hikvision system (3 x 4k cameras + NVR) and it works ok. Quality is excellent and reliability is good. Be aware that Hikvision are trying to remove their cameras from the DIY market in the UK and make them “trade only”, so they are supposedly not available to amateur installers. I got around this by ticking “yes” to the “Are you a trade installer?” when I ordered them and no further questions were asked 🙂

Installation is very easy (if you understand networking, can drag cables around and terminate CAT5) and they were up and running in a few minutes (although the physical installation of the external mounts took *much* longer to get an entirely covert install!)

The only bit that kinda sucks is movement alerts. They are nearly impossible to setup reliably for outdoor cameras in such a way where rain, wind, sun, cats, squirrels etc. don’t set them off continually. It feels like it needs a whole step-change in sophistication of their image recognition engine before it’s actually usable.

spectabilis
    Free Member

I sell Hikvision Professional and Hiwatch day to day, we can put you a kit together with all mounts, cable, connectors and crimping tools required; gimme a shout

Sales@cctvkits.co.uk

https://www.cctvkits.co.uk/

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input, looks like a decision between Swann and hikvision. Might well take you up on your offer spectabillis (which swings it towards the hik)

in fact, think I’ll also get a set up for my house, spate of van break ins around here, so would pay for itself if just for the piece of mind

spectabilis
    Free Member

OK Mr Bastard,

Drop us an email with your requirements and I can draw you up a couple of quotes.

I don’t work Fridays so I’ll pick it up Monday, you can call me then if you need some guidance.

Cheers

Andrew

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘recommend me a CCTV system’ is closed to new replies.