Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Recommend me a casual down jacket
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

Something for general wear down the pub etc so not too big. Budget around £100 ish.

Stoner
    Free Member

Alpkit filet. a real favourite of mine.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I picked up a Fat Face down gillet for £60 last december. Might be worth a look. Bit bulky, but nicely warm for the cold walk back from the pub lol!

iDave
    Free Member

finisterre etobicoke – nice conversion to pillow type thing

EDIT – and it’s not down

ahwiles
    Free Member

why do you want down if it’s for casual wear?

it’s expensive.

you can’t get it wet – or it costs even more for the waterproofing

you can’t pack them away. (down shouldn’t be left compressed).

Down coats are delicate and flimsy – there’s no point using it to fill a heavy rugged jacket.

But they’re great if you have to carry them up a cold dry mountain.

obviously itsup to you, but for pub wear down is more trouble than it’s worth, and it’s expensive.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Those alpkit ones are nice – do they do a jacket version? Who stocks them?

Stoner
    Free Member

I almost always wear my down gilet when I walk to the pub 😉

Its comfy, warm, and gets hung on a peg at the end of the bar. It dries quiet happily after a shower but I dont aim to use it as a waterproof.

Its warmer than most fleece based jackets I have. But its not specifically a windproof.

nickname
    Free Member

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16341&category_id=300

You get them alpkit stuff direct, but stock levels are a bit poo a lot of the time 🙂

29erKeith
    Free Member

AlpKit.co.uk direct only

and yeah they do a jacket too

MRanger156
    Free Member

Want one because they’re warm and I like the look of them.

Stoner
    Free Member

the alpkit filo is a bargin at £80. I just dont need the sleeves.

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16341&category_id=300

buy direct. ALpkit are one of the “good guys” when it comes to online shopping so buy with confidence. They also dont violate your wallet like howies.

Out of stock right now, but theyre really good at keeping punters informed of stock lead times using their email subs system.

stock page
    http://www.alpkit.com/support/product_updates/

Tasso
    Free Member

PHD Mountain software.

Just the mutts nuts if you get one in drishell.
    Probably the best bits of clothing I’ve ever bought.

However every man and his dog now have a down filled gilet so why not start your own trend and get a buffalo gilet instead? Probably quite warm and you’ll never have wet weather issues with it.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I’m sold on those alpkit ones – look good for the money. Anyone got the blue colour – is it true to the pic on their website? Might get a gillet in the mean time.

Stoner
    Free Member

cant help on colour as I have an older version with a kind of teal blue colour.

Tasso
    Free Member
    pistonbroke
    Free Member

MRanger, I’ve got the blue gilet and it’s definitely BLUUUE as Billy Connolly would say.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Is it the same blue as the pic? Pretty tempted.

wonnyj
    Free Member

RAB all the way

cynic-al
    Free Member

GAP sale.

End of thread.

ART

My RAB down half zip thingy is over 10 years old and still going strong. Buy quality, buy once 😉

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Sorry MRanger, yes it is as per the pics, very vivid blue. Just a thought though, the RAB warehouse sale is on the 4th of December at their Somercotes HQ, you may get a proper bargain if you are prepared to get there early.

bakey

Without a doubt my Alpkit Filo is the best item of clothing I own.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

+1 for the Alpkit Filo, got one in red, and yes it is very red, just waiting for the stock to come in so I can get myself a Filet, never had any issues buying from Alpkit and always friendly and helpful whenever I have phoned them with a query.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Wish they still had the Filo in Lego Blue in stock, the new colours don’t look as nice.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Just checked out the new colours, now I can’t decide between the Plum Lucky or the Carat for my Filet…

CountZero

Someone was asking about a lightweight warm jacket to wear under a thin waterproof recently, and the RAB jackets came up, but so did these: http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/store/clothing/ultralight-down/men/
    The micro jackets are just like the RAB ones, but almost half the price, and go in a stuff bag. Hoping to go up to London before Christmas and check out these jackets, and their Japanese Denim jeans.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Here’s to hoping Mr MC gets me an alpkit gilet for Xmas! haven’t seen the new colours as didn’t think they had them in stock yet? (She trundles off to take a look ..)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

IT’s still showing the old colours when I look, black and blue! I’m liking that vivid blue mind.

ronjeremy
    Free Member
    Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Argh got it, plum lucky looks nice but I did like that vivid blue.. boo shame it’s going 🙁
    HHmmm however appears they may still have my size in Nemo blue … Mr MC .. calling Mr MC …..

Stoner
    Free Member

this is mine – I think it must be the atlantic colourway.

CountZero

It’s worth noting that there’s a limited offer on the Uniqlo down jackets, they’re £39.95 at the mo’,
    I’ve just bought one of these:
    http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/064440

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Darn the Uniqlo website it doesn’t want to work idiot thing!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another vote for RAB here. Awesome kit.

BadlyWiredDog

This – bargain at that price I reckon. The micro-baffled jackets, lots of them around, are more three-season(ish) than full-on down jackets.

anonymouse
    Free Member

I’ve got a filet and a finisterre sarastuga (sp?). The sarastuga is much warmer, but it is synthetic rather than down.

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s worth noting that there’s a limited offer on the Uniqlo down jackets, they’re £39.95 at the mo’,
    I’ve just bought one of these:
    http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/064440

WTF – that looks gash!

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

I’ve got a Finisterre Etobicoke (Primaloft rather than down) and a Penfield Outback down vest.

Wouldn’t hesitate to recommend either of them.

CountZero

I’ve got a black North Face Nuptse jacket and Gillet, I want something I can stick in a bag that takes up little room, that I can put on under something like a Montane Featherlight if it gets cold, and isn’t black or dark grey like most of the stuff I wear. Thanks for your opinion, when I want another one I’ll give it to you. Other colours are available, if you take the trouble to look.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a casual down jacket’ is closed to new replies.