Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Recommend me a book about test pilots / WW2 pilots
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’ve read Wings on My Sleeve, First Light, The Right Stuff and Flight and Fly for Your Life. Can anyone recommend anything on a similar subject?

alanw2007

Chuck Yeager’s autobiography is worth a read. A fine mix of fearlessness and technical know how.

Harry_the_Spider

Read that as well.

alanw2007

Moon Shot? The story of the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions by Alan Shepard Deke Slayton.

jimw
    Free Member

War in a Stringbag by Charles Lamb

Sigh for a Merlin by Alex Henshaw

Sea Flight by Hugh Popham

Duel under the Stars by Wilhelm Johen

Stuka Pilot by Hans UlricRudel

Luftwaffe Test Pilot by Hans-Werner Lerche

the first two are excellent and readily available, the others may be harder.

more modern is Skunk Wks

joshvegas
    Free Member

This is whatlibraries are good for.

Start at one end of the shelf.

My recommendation would be rauld dahls – flying solo.

And while not a biography I am currently listening to bomber by Len Deighton so of the mater of fact descriptions of what hapoens during a bombing raid at night are quite chilling.

the00
    Free Member

<i><b>The Right Stuff</b></i> is a 1979 book by Tom Wolfeabout the pilots engaged in U.S. postwar research with experimental rocket-powered, high-speed aircraft as well as documenting the stories of the first Project Mercuryastronauts selected for the NASA space program. <i>The Right Stuff</i> is based on extensive research by Wolfe, who interviewed test pilots, the astronauts and their wives, among others. The story contrasts the “Mercury Seven“<sup id=”cite_ref-1″ class=”reference”>[1]</sup> and their families with test pilots such as Chuck Yeager, who was considered by many contemporaries as the best of them all, but who was never selected as an astronaut.

I enjoyed it.

minley1
    Free Member

i know they are not about test pilots, but Vulcan 601 and Storm front, both by Rowland White are a good read.

nickc

Richard Townend’s Biography of James “Ginger” Lacey is worth a read, one of the few fighter pilots that was on active duty from the first to last day of the war.

Pierre Clostermann’s “The Big Show” is worth tracking down as well.

Edit, email your address to me (nickcummins7328ATgmail.com) and I’ll pop my copy of The Kamikaze Hunters by Will Iredale in the post to you. It’s well researched about an almost forgotten part of the war in the air in WW2

CaptainSlow

As you’ve read First Light, I’d recommend Brian Kincome’s book, A Willingness to Die

A work of very good and well researched fiction is Len Deighton’s book, Bomber.

mikey74
    Free Member

It may be primarily about the space programme but Michael Collins’ Carrying the Fire is a great book. Lots of test pilot stuff in there too.

stealthcat

Topical one – Spitfire Women?

Nico
    Free Member

Not a test pilot and not all flying but “The Lonely Sea and the Sky” by Francis Chichester is a good read about navigating with a map on your knee and a view over the side.

joshvegas
    Free Member

A work of very good and well researched fiction is Len Deighton’s book, Bomber.

Keep up.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The Silver Spitfire – Tom Neil, another who has recently died

Tally Ho – a Yankee in a Spitfire by Arthur Donahue which was written in real time, then the follow on Last Flight from Singapore

michaelbowden

Following

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Vulcan 607 is a great book – proper “Boys Own” type adventure but its all true. Not quite WW2 or test pilots, but what they did was near impossible and they pulled it off.

First Light is a great book – well worth a read.

theotherjonv

again, not exactly test pilots but Riding Rockets, about the Space Shuttle pilots is a good read. Would happily post you my copy as a loan.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

A Higher Call. Amazing story, really well told by Adam Makos.

Story of an American Bomber Pilot and a German fighter pilot and how their lives crossed.

Really cannot recommend it enough.

Mikkel
    Free Member

as sigh for a merlin have been mentioned, i just have to mention Flight of the Mew Gull for a brilliant story about flying in between the wars.

And a trip to Shuttleworth to see the Mew Gull fly.

Moe

‘And they gave me a Seafire’ and ‘Achtung Swordfish’ are both a good read, both might be hard to track down though, I bought the Seafire one at Fleet Air Arm museum and the Swordfish one I got from the pilot himself signed by him and also signed by the artist who did the painting on the cover.

Riksbar

The Roland Beaumont books are good, WW2 Hurricane pilot, went on to help develop the Typhoon and Tempest,  the tested the Canberra, Lightning and TSR.2.  Testing Years is the one I’ve got.  You’re welcome to borrow it as I think you’re fairly close.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks all.

Moonshot ordered!

Mikkel
    Free Member

as a lot of the second hand bookshops sell via amazon market place, finding old books is often much easier than you think.

Harry_the_Spider

ABEbooks is good. Moonshot just cost me £2.95 delivered.

johnners
    Free Member

Pierre Clostermann’s “The Big Show” is worth tracking down as well

It’s very good, and the descriptions of post-DD day ops came as a bit of a surprise to me, who’d been led to believe the Luftwaffe was a mostly spent force by then.

I’d recommend Carrier Pilot by Norman Hanson, FAA and mainly in the Pacific. It seems to be mentioned rarely but I liked it a lot. From reading the book, it’s difficult to decide who the Corsair was most lethal to, our pilots or the Japanese.

breninbeener

Riding rockets is a great read already mentioned!

scuttler

Chuck Yeager’s autobiography is the only book I’ve ever read twice. An example of being born at perfectly the right time.

swanny853

I’ll plus two The Big Show. Alan Deere’s Nine Lives is good too.

I’m currently re-reading The First and the Last which is Adolf Galland’s ww2 memoire. Very interesting perspective.

I’d also recommend Most Secret War by RV Jones. It’s his memoire of scientific intelligence through the war.  Not strictly on your subject but has a lot of information around it that builds a bigger picture- things like the battle of the beams. Probably the most fascinating ww2 book I’ve read.

A couple of other I remember being interesting because they were areas less well trodden are One Man’s Window which is about the defence of Malta and The Unseen Eye for photo reconnaissance.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Tumult in the Clouds by James A Goodson, a high scoring American fighter ace – this book is both a compelling read and funny, especially the bits about Kidd Hofer, who had a book about his exploits entitled “Kidd Hofer, the last Screwball Aces”.

and Bloody Shambles, Vol. 2: From the Defence of Sumatra to the fall of Burma.

I found First Light to be a pretty terrible read tbh.

sockpuppet
    redthunder
    Free Member

Read this…

Friend of mine (no longer with us 🙁 )

WW2 Spit/Huricane pilot in Burma.

Hi on-line memoir.

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/sparkes/

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Again not test piloty stuff as such but ‘Rocket Boys’ by Homer H Hickam was unputdownable for me.

All about a bunch of kids who played around with home made rockets & went on to work with NASA etc.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I found the later Beaumont test pilot account Flying to the Limit a bit dull but the earlier biography of him Against the Sun, by Edward Lanchberry is good.

Test Pilot, by Neville Duke is good (first British pilot to break speed of sound).  Also his The War Diaries of Neville Duke is excellent. A staggering amount of alcohol appears to have been consumed in the course of becoming one of the highest scoring British fighter pilots.

peajay

On a space theme I thought “Into the Black” was brilliant, thought I had an understanding of the space race but this opened my eyes! Also off topic but “ChickenHawk” is brilliant too!

stewartc
    Free Member

‘Carrier Pilot’ and ‘So they gave me a Seafire’ if you fancy some WW2 carrier aviation from the British perspective, both easy to read and you almost read them in your head in a 1940 pilot type voice.

Also ‘Enemy Coast Ahead’, written by Guy Gibson of Dambusters fame and from this book, a guy that liked a pint.

jerseychaz

You might like to try “Bomb Doors Open” by Flt Lt Ken Trent DFC published by Seeker Publising in Jersey. It’s a very personal account of his life through the RAF over the latter part of WW2 – not the best written but it is a warts and all account of the process of being recruited, trained and flying 40+ ops in Lancasters. (I’ll disclose a personal interest, Ken was my Father in Law (I divorced his daughter and he died earlier this year at 95) and I’ve heard a lot of the tales in the book several times, usually aided by several large G&T’s! – However, there are some stories that he never told….)

hols2
    Free Member

Just buy something off Amazon and they’ll send you recommendations about what other people have bought, so you’ll end up with a bunch of power tools, some baby clothes, and BBQ sauce.

More seriously, see if you can get a copy of Red Ball in the Sky by Charles Blair.

njee20
    Free Member

Not WW2 but “Sled Driver” by Brian Shul (IIRC) is available online and is rather good. About the SR-71 Blackbird.

Rather harder to find in print!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a book about test pilots / WW2 pilots’ is closed to new replies.