Recommend me a bivvi bag

Home Forum Bike Forum Recommend me a bivvi bag

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a bivvi bag
  • Si

Looking currently at the Alpkit one – any others. I know stw did a bit of a test of them. What was their verdict?

Aidan

Terra Nova Discovery is pretty good. I used one for a few nights out and my mate did the Pacific Crest Trail (red line on this image) with one.

mefster

STW did their lightweight camping/bivvi test. When the forum was down I found the video to watch on the facebook page. Very entertaining. I think as long as you avoid the bike camper you’ll be alright!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=26639006756

Dave

If you’re on a budget the Alpkit Hunka is hard to beat. For luxury the Rab Superlight is the bollocks, water tight and plenty of space.

Premier Icon Ed-O
    Subscriber

I bought the Alpkit bag. It’s a bit heavier but a lot cheaper than the high end alternatives. Oooo I feel a January bivvy with bonfire coming on.

soma_rich

I have used mt Alpkit Hunka quite a few times now. I sweat a lot and usually waterproof thing dont work but this is great no condensation no matter what the weather. I dont know what more I would want from a Bivi bag.

Si
    simonralli2

Folks

Dim question, but with something like the Alpkit – does that go over a regular sleeping bag? Which then begs the question – which sleeping bag for fitting into an Alpkit!

Rich

Would you use a bivvy bag on its own, or always with a tarp?

Also do you not get lots of flies, bugs, etc on your face?

Thanks.

Premier Icon ivebrokenit
    Subscriber
    Ewan

Simon – pretty much any sleeping bag will fit in any bivi bag – it’ll just scrunch up a bit at the end if anything. Nothing to worry about unless you’re freakishly tall.

Rich – tarp if it looks like rain. Bug spray on the face. Just extra protein.

Surfr

I’ve had a Integral Designs Unishelter which I bought in Mountain Equipment CoOp in Calgary in 1994. It’s been all over the Rockies with me, and a fair few mountainous locations in the UK. The single hoop design keeps fabric off your face and there’s a fly net over the opening aswell as the fully breathable layer so you can stargaze without fear of Mozzie bites. If you can find a dealer in the UK or can import from somewhere, I’d definitely give it a try.

Mine at Pumlimun

EDIT: Oh just a note to say that I always used mine with a 3/4 length lightweight Thermarest and a hollow fibre bag. Fleece liner if REALLY cold. Some of the best nights sleeps I’ve ever had, and I’ve spent about 300 nights in it.

pants

Army issue DPM……………..or a hooped 1 will do ya.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bivvi bag’ is closed to new replies.