Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a bivvi bag
  • Si
    Free Member

Looking currently at the Alpkit one – any others. I know stw did a bit of a test of them. What was their verdict?

Aidan
    Free Member

Terra Nova Discovery is pretty good. I used one for a few nights out and my mate did the Pacific Crest Trail (red line on this image) with one.

mefster
    Free Member

STW did their lightweight camping/bivvi test. When the forum was down I found the video to watch on the facebook page. Very entertaining. I think as long as you avoid the bike camper you’ll be alright!

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=26639006756

Dave
    Free Member

If you’re on a budget the Alpkit Hunka is hard to beat. For luxury the Rab Superlight is the bollocks, water tight and plenty of space.

Ed-O
    Free Member

I bought the Alpkit bag. It’s a bit heavier but a lot cheaper than the high end alternatives. Oooo I feel a January bivvy with bonfire coming on.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I have used mt Alpkit Hunka quite a few times now. I sweat a lot and usually waterproof thing dont work but this is great no condensation no matter what the weather. I dont know what more I would want from a Bivi bag.

Si
    Free Member

sold…

simonralli2
    Free Member

Folks

Dim question, but with something like the Alpkit – does that go over a regular sleeping bag? Which then begs the question – which sleeping bag for fitting into an Alpkit!

Rich
    Free Member

Would you use a bivvy bag on its own, or always with a tarp?

Also do you not get lots of flies, bugs, etc on your face?

Thanks.

ivebrokenit
    Free Member

Alpkit

Ewan
    Free Member

Simon – pretty much any sleeping bag will fit in any bivi bag – it’ll just scrunch up a bit at the end if anything. Nothing to worry about unless you’re freakishly tall.

Rich – tarp if it looks like rain. Bug spray on the face. Just extra protein.

Surfr
    Free Member

I’ve had a Integral Designs Unishelter which I bought in Mountain Equipment CoOp in Calgary in 1994. It’s been all over the Rockies with me, and a fair few mountainous locations in the UK. The single hoop design keeps fabric off your face and there’s a fly net over the opening aswell as the fully breathable layer so you can stargaze without fear of Mozzie bites. If you can find a dealer in the UK or can import from somewhere, I’d definitely give it a try.

Mine at Pumlimun

EDIT: Oh just a note to say that I always used mine with a 3/4 length lightweight Thermarest and a hollow fibre bag. Fleece liner if REALLY cold. Some of the best nights sleeps I’ve ever had, and I’ve spent about 300 nights in it.

pants
    Free Member

Army issue DPM……………..or a hooped 1 will do ya.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bivvi bag’ is closed to new replies.