Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Recommend Me A Biography.
  • flange
    Free Member

+1 on the Miller book, and Scar Tissue is a great read – I’m amazed he’s still alive. Frank Skinner’s is also good as is Peter Kay’s.

Wiggins one, although written before his decent result in the 2009 is dull as. I personally wouldn’t bother.

hels
    Free Member

Wild Swans by Jung Chang. 3 generations of Chinese women growing up under the Kuomintang and then Mao. Riveting.

footflaps

“Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know” +1

Robespierre
    Free Member

Matt Seaton’s ‘The Escape Artist’ is nominally about his career as an amateur road racer. Wry, sad and uplifting, and hugely enjoyable overall. He was the Guardian’s cycling correpspondent for a long while, and is a quintessentially metropolitan type, so those of you with certain dispositions should keep well clear.

mcboo
    Free Member

Really. It’s tremendous.

mcboo
    Free Member

Won the Pulitzer prize, the whole harrowing truth about America in Vietnam told through the life of John Vann. Damning on Nixon and Kissinger. One of my top 10 books of all time.

nedrapier

For anyone who’s got an OK grasp of French, Le Trace de l’Ange, about Marco Sifreddi, who died trying do snowboard the Hornbein Couloir on Everest is a great read.

If your french is a bit ropey but you’re keen to improve, it’s more interesting than reading about slices of ham in Montpelier, and checking odd things in a grammar book or a dictionary, means it’s a pretty good way of learning. Especially if you want to talk about snowboarding and mountains!

Great read, very humbling and inspiring.

konabunny
    Free Member

‘eddie would go’

wicked read, especially if you have any interest in surfing
    Made me cry, couldn’t keep reading ;(

Long Walk To Freedom – excellent.

Bill Drummond, 45 – meh – read it once, very quickly. Quite poorly written, I think.

Get in the van, Henry Rollins – ordered it, haven’t actually read it.

Frank Skinner’s autobiography? Jesus…

markrtw
    Free Member

Clive James, Unreliable Memoirs is by all accounts one of the best and funnies autobiographies ever written – so I have been told. Its next on my list for reading once the current 4 books have been read.

dogbert
    Free Member

I am, at this very moment reading This Is A Call: The Life and Times of Dave Grohl. It has given me a different insight into the whole Kurt Cobain/Nirvana myth (not quite the “I don’t want to be famous” personality everyone thought)

I’ve come to the conclusion I only really like books about music

DezB
    Free Member

Best 2 I’ve read:

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

Mark “E” Everett “Things the grandchildren should know”

Inspirational despite his difficult upbringing and death of both parents and his sister.Not a bad musician either……

arrpee
    Free Member

‘The Death of marco Pantani’ by Matt Rendell, which I’ve recommended on here umpteen times. Fabulously bleak, with very vivid race accounts. Also very informative about EPO abuse.

Non-bikey: ‘An Evil Cradling’ by Brian Keenan. This is his account of his time as a hostage in Lebanon. The writing is absolutely stunning; jaw-dropping accounts of what happens to your brain when you’re shut in an unlit 6×6 cell 24 hours a day.

allthepies
    Free Member

You find Binners’ threads uplifting ? 😉

therag
    Free Member

+1 Mad, bad & dangerous to know.

Howard marks Mr nice.
    I didn’t enjoy frank skinner though.

sas78

Also

Cloughie: Walking on Water. It’s superb.

Pigface
    Free Member

Read Scar Tissue and thought Keidis was just a t**t.

The Dirt is astonishing, 3 members come out of it ok and one is just a tool of epic proportions.

Will give Frank Skinners book a go.

Bunnyhop

The Moons a Balloon

It’s probably about the only biography I can say I have enjoyed, but I am not sure how much is truth and how much fiction. But he was certainly an interesting character in Hollywood’s heyday. +1
    Funny, thought provoking and very enjoyable. David Niven is much more than just your typical Hollywood actor.

labsey
    Free Member

The Moon’s A Balloon it is then. Big fan of Niven.

Thanks for the suggestions. Got a good list for when I finish it.

avdave2

First Light – Geoffrey Wellum

simonralli2
    Free Member

Wow – that Julian Cope book looks right up my street.

I have recently read this and thought it was amazing – it really paints a wonderful picture not just of the science of the day but how it was taught too. This description doesn’t really do it justice – far more than just Darwin’s own story – a great history book too making those times come to life.

righog
    Free Member

Lawrence of Arabia..stuck in mind long after reading it, cant remember the author 😳

captain Scott by Ranulph fiennes,

Edit. I will be hunting down my copy of the moons a balloon to re read, it’s been too long.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Loads of great ones I’ve really enjoyed up there. One more to add to the list…

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Lee Evans – Life of Lee

Provided You Don’t Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough – by Duncan Hamilton, not a Biog but a brilliant, sad and funny book.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self

Fascinating man living in a fascinating time. And having a wild time of it.

Bunnyhop

Another book by Niven ‘Bring on the empty horses’ is imo also a good read.

busydog
    Free Member

dezb
    Agree on “Shakey”—probably because I’m a big Neil Young fan, but fascinating reading—pretty amazing that he (and so many others in the business) survived.

TheSanityAssassin

In no particular order:

Vic Reeves – if you remember the 70’s you’ll love it.

Brian Moore (the rugby player) – candid and forthright only scratch the surface.

John Lydon – particularly like how he allows other contributors to give their own version of some of the more significant events, despite these generally conflicting with the author’s.

Alexei Sayle – in much the same vein as Vic Reeves’ insofar as they’re both only really a ‘Part One’ and cover the period up to being about 20.

dux
    Free Member

+1 for frank skinners book, brutally honest and so funny

stewartc
    Free Member

I would 2nd The Moons a Balloon, whether mostly ficition or real its a great little read, also……
    Dear Boy – The Life of Keith Moon
    Evil Spirits – The Life of Oliver Reed

And though stretching the word biographical a little, I would really, really recomend all of the Spike Milligan books covering his national service and afterwards starting with….Adolph Hitler, My part in his downfall.
    Its starts of very jokey but as you go through all 7 related books it really does give you a good insight into the man.

mbr30
    Free Member

+1 for frank skinner’s.loved it.just ordered arnie’s too and looking forward to that.

scuttler

For spaceheads

For proper boys-own

Hells

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Me A Biography.’ is closed to new replies.