• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by abelas-spam.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend me a bike mount/waterproof case for iphone 3Gs
  • organic355
    Free Member

my 5 is on the way and rather than trade my 3GS in for £60 I thought it would now become my bike phone.

Anyone recommend a decent bike mount and waterproof case, and also some decent Nav software?

GrahamS

I use this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0057FJ41Y

Nav software:

On-road/urban: Bike Hub (satnav style navigation for bikes) + CycleStreets and Sustrans

Off-road: MotionX GPS (for nav by waypoints rather than paths).

GrahamS

(just realised that is for the iPhone 4, but they do one for the 3 as well)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BadlyWiredDog

ViewRanger’s ace, the only fly in the ointment is that the power consumption is quite high with GPS switched on.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I use:

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/bike-mount-iphone-4

Comes with two different inserts so works with both the iPhone 4 and the 3GS, only had it a few months but it has survived a couple of OTB incidents as well as numerous rain showers, including being left out on a mountainside for 3 hours in freezing conditions and rain/snow/hail at 2700m.

GrahamS

this one?

Yeah that’s it. Good solid case with a soft rubber inlay shaped to the phone. Good quick-release mechanism and the phone is still usable (all buttons available and holes for headphones and charger).

The actual handlebar clamp is a bit feeble – but a bit of additional inner tube rubber under it gives some decent grip. The mount can rotate to portrait or landscape, but that just annoyed me so I epoxyed it. 😀

organic355
    Free Member

cant that mount stand up to the rough and tumble of MTB use? i.e has it ever popped off?

GrahamS

Have to admit I’ve not taken it “proper” MTBing.

It’s pretty solid though. If you’re hucking 30ft cliff drops then it may struggle, but I reckon it’d be fine for STW style riding (quick pootle round the Red route and some Carrot Cake) 😉

Anything more severe you could leave the phone in the case and stick it in the top of your Camelbak instead.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bike mount/waterproof case for iphone 3Gs’ is closed to new replies.