Recommend me a basic easy to use idiot proof CAD program

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a basic easy to use idiot proof CAD program
  • mildred

For Mac.

I want to design my own shed/garage/bolt hole but I’m not the most gifted drawer. Can anyone recommend any easy to use CAD software (preferably free)?

Not used it in years (I have access to Inventor now) but surely SketchUp?

mildred

I tried this a few years ago & couldn’t get it to work on my laptop (windows 10 i3 processor, plenty of memory). Just hung on loading up. I tried reloading it numerous times & gave up in the end. I’ll have another look see if it’ll work on the new computer.

Milkie

SketchUp is really shit, tried it for 3D printing and it is useless.
    Autodesk Fusion 360 is free for personal use and there are loads of tutorials online.

Premier Icon seosamh77
    Subscriber

pen, paper and a straight edge will be quicker.

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

SketchUp is really shit, tried it for 3D printing and it is useless.

Chocolate is rubbish – I tried to use it to make a teapot.

Sketchup costs nothing to try and use and is perfect for designing a shed. If you wanted to 3D print a shed that would be a different matter but for working out the proportions of a wooden box with a pent roof that you’ll build with your hands and hammer and a saw its about as suitable a programme as you could hope for.

One of the useful aspects of using sketchup is it favours flat surfaces and right angles and you have to wrestle with it if your design deviates from that. If you work with wood then something that is difficult to draw in sketchup is going to be equally difficult to build – so the software resists you designing objects that are hard to build.

Download the software follow a few tutorials and you’ll be fine.

Its very intuitive programme which is good if you’re not CAD literate. People who don’t like it tend to be used to using 2D and 3D programmes which makes the intuitive aspects of Sketchup unintuitive.

I tried this a few years ago

Its gone through several updates since then so doubt it’ll misbehave (in the same way at least)

Premier Icon noshki
    Subscriber

Definitely Sketchup. Easy to learn, lots of online tutorials and help available, It’s ideal for what you say you want to use it for. I learnt it in a couple of hours and after a bit of practice have used it for drawings for planning and building control. There’s also a ‘warehouse’ of drawings you can download and play around with/adapt to your own design or use as inspiration.

Haven’t tried it for 3D printing, but you are after all asking about architectural design.

mildred

Thanks folks; I’ve downloaded sketchup & it seems to work perfectly on the Mac. Its just the idiot pressing the buttons that needs to sort himself out..!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.