Recommend me a base layer for winter

Home Forum Bike Forum Recommend me a base layer for winter

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a base layer for winter
  • hilton83

Ive allways just worn nike wicking compression tops but dont find them warm enough (obviously) tried on an endura baa baa merino yesterday and its was proper itchy, they didnt have any others for me to try on so any recommendations for a snug base layer that wont make me feel like im on morphine

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

This@: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-active-extreme-wind-stopper-base-layer/

You can find them cheaper elsewhere, but its extremely warm, not sweaty and the windproofing really works well.

I’ve been on a road bike in 4 degrees with just that and a windproof jacket over the last few weeks

hilton83

That looks good with the windstopper front, maybe i’ll sack off the idea of merino

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

FWIW I find Merino itchy. This has a “woolen” texture but doesn’t itch (for me anyway)

hammyuk

Get the new Columbia Omniheat baselayers – incredible warmth, nothing I’ve used comes close to them and I work where there is no hiding from the wind.

matther01

I use an Endura Transmission as I find Merino itchy too.

Does the job for me and a decent price.

Think it only comes in L/S though?

dgb1

Helly Hansen Warm baselayers. A mix of Merino and Polypropylene. Nice and warm, not itchy (for me anyway), wick well and don’t stink after a long spin. Only point against them is they aren’t cheap.

drlex

Helly Hansen Warm baselayers. A mix of Merino and Polypropylene. Nice and warm, not itchy (for me anyway), wick well and don’t stink after a long spin. Only point against them is they aren’t cheap.

+1
    Not for warm weather, but you can find them cheap; I bought 3 @ £17.99 from sports direct/field & trek earlier this year, and have another due from Sports Pursuit @ £24. Someone posted earlier that they were two for £40 at an outlet chain.

sputnik

Kryton, how does the Kraft come up size wise? You know what I mean, if you usually take a XL , would one need an L or an XXL or are they like normal XL?

Premier Icon ibnchris
    Subscriber

You could try the Repack Berino that was on fresh goods here a while back. Google repack clothing. More of a jersey than a base layer but does the job

Premier Icon stevied
    Subscriber

M & S long sleeved thermal top. Have ridden the Malverns at -14 degrees with that and a Berghaus windstopper top. Can’t beat it for the money.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Helly stuff works well and is cheap. Keeping warm is about layering, why not wear the merino over the Nike top

mikey74

You can find them cheaper elsewhere, but its extremely warm, not sweaty and the windproofing really works well.

I’ve been on a road bike in 4 degrees with just that and a windproof jacket over the last few weeks

I like those as well. The only problem is that they have a bit of an odour about them (and no, it’s not me), even when washed. I use mine on it’s own for running on cold winter days and it is very warm, maybe a bit too warm if worn under a decent softshell.

I use Canterbury “Cold” base layers most of the time, both long-sleeved and short.

Another vote for Helly Warm here. Superb kit.

freeagent

i’ve got a Nike compression top from Sports Direct (was about £16) does the job for me…

workhard

on one merino ones

fourbanger

Icebreaker.

Munqe-chick

Depends on the type and thickness of merino. Try http://www.embersmerino.co.uk their stuff is lush, Icebreaker is nice but again be careful what thickness you get. 150 is very thin so probably want something about the 190 unless you want proper thick winter weight.
    One on/Planet X also so some super lush soft merino tops and often at super cheap prices. I am the Queen of merino I probably have about 12 tops from various companies, various thickness and sleeveless to jumpers!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

@sputnik

tight fitting but stretchy. I’m 5’11, 39″ chest and have a large. Is long in the body, at my height mine goes down to just above my gentlemans area. I’d say the wiggle size guide is accurate.

If anyone finds one cheaper can you let me know Ta.

boblo

Any recomendations for the modern version of Xstatic? Fantastic fabric, dunt stink and dries instantly.

hilton83

Ooh a few good choices there, i think i’ll pick one at random and add the others to my xmas list the repack looks nice, heard good things about that bamboo charcoal stuff too

Premier Icon flyingmm
    Subscriber

On one merino cheap and quality poor. Warm but itchy and bobbly. Icebreaker merinos absolute quality, no itch and warm down to -10 with just a shell layer, as long as you don’t hang about:) wet by the time I get to work, but leave to dry over a radiator and perfect for the ride back home. No smell even after a week of commuting is a great selling point.

bikebob

As said quality merino generally does not itch. Icebreaker very good but not cheap.
    Follow the golden rule of walking, wear in layers. Thin wicking base T then merino or polar tech type long sleeve. Get a high neck with a zip in and top with windproof outer. Ideally all close fitting but not tight. You will be warm and have flexibility to remove a layer.
    Welcome to the world of layers, like anything you can spend any amount.

Munqe-chick

It’s not about quality that itches, a lot of it is about YOUR skin and sensitivities. On One thin merino’s are not scratchy in the slightest. It also depends on the thickness you can’t just walk into a shop and ask for a merino top (ok well you can but they’ll sell you what they have), you can get all kinds of different weights/thicknesses depending on what you want it for.

Remember it might well be that your skin is too sensitive for wool and won’t like ANY merino full stop.

turbo1397

another for helly hanson.. 😀

gren

double post

cheekyboy

Odlo make some very comfy gear.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a base layer for winter’ is closed to new replies.