Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me a backpack for my SLR
  • oomidamon

I'm after a daypack type, with room for stuff other than camera gear. Nothing that shouts "I'm carrying an expensive camera" either. Local camera shop has a good deal on Crumpler stuff, any good or any other suggestions? Needs to hold a DSLR and a couple of extra lenses.

richpips
    Free Member

If that's all you're carrying just take a normal rucksack. Oh, and if you want to say look at me I've got some flash camera gear, Crumpler is the name to go for. Can't understand why none of their bags have a tripod carrying system. Posy shite.

pacemaker
    Free Member

Some Crumpler's have a zip out tripod attaching strap, i looked at one but went for my Lowepro Vertex 300

oomidamon

So if Crumpler is 'Posy Shite' what's good? I want a camera-specific bag because I want to protect my gear.

Jamie
    Free Member
    richpips
    Free Member

My camera rucksack is a LowePro, but tbh as I said if you want to be low profile, a but of bubble wrap and a cheaper rucksack does the job. My LowePro AW weighs 2.5Kg before anything goes inside it.

DrJ

Crumpler camera bags are really crap IMHO – too heavy, too much padding, npt at all versatile. LowePro or Tamrac are better, and ThinkTank better still.

RustySpanner

I've never found a really, really good one.

Currently have a LowePro Rover Plus AW. Can fit a DSLR with one lens attatched and up to four other lenses (depending on size, obviously) into the bottom padded section, and a jacket and enough gear for a days walking in the top section.
    Two mesh pockets on the side for water bottles and an attachment for a tripod, even a quite large one.

Problem is, when full it weighs a ton. Tried carrying it fully laiden from Capel Curig over the Glyders and Elidirs back to Dinorwic and it nearly finished me off.

No idea what the solution is, but enjoying reading others ideas.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No idea what the solution is

native bearer

RustySpanner

Simon, what make and model is the camera pouch you use clipped to the shoulder straps of your rucksack across your chest?

Aren't you scared of landing on the thing when you come off?

I've really been put off carrying anything solid in my backpack after a couple of somersaults have landed me flat on my back and am also a bit wary of strapping a big solid camera to my chest, for similar reasons.

andyl46
    Free Member

I have a Lowepro vertex 300, huge and carries all my gear, but weighs a ton and holds the tripod externally, so you'll look like a 'tog. I use it for those days when you carry a lot a distance, and for weddings to keep all my gear handy and stored for quick access.

I also have shoulder bag style crumplers, various sizes for carrying different loads. Nowhere near as practical, but much more stealthy. They aren't as good at keeping your gear in place securely, but i use them when travelling.

I'll be selling a lowepro computrekker AW if it would suit, looks like a normal rucksack with the tripod carrier concealed and you can fit coats and things in the laptop compartment and to the bungees. £60 would do it.

Best compromise i can think of is a decent sized daysac with side pouches for spare lenses and extras. But your gear will be rattling about in there…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Simon, what make and model is the camera pouch you use clipped to the shoulder straps of your rucksack across your chest?

Lowepro Nova Mini (£24)
    click pic for more

Aren't you scared of landing on the thing when you come off?

not at all – it's quite well padded. One time I had a really heavy fall onto it and the VR on my lens packed up 6 weeks later, which I took to be delayed impact damage, but it's so handy to have the camera ready in 3 seconds I don't mind an occasional breakage 🙂

Dudie
    Free Member

I have yet to find anything better than shoving cameras/lenses in their own Lowepro type pouches, accesories in a tupperware lunchbox and shoving the whole lot in one of my assorted standard hillwalking rucksacs. Had a day on the Glyders yesterday, carrying axe, crampons and usual hillwalking kit, plus my 50D, 17-40mm and assorted filters/cleaning stuff and my tripod stuffed behing the compression straps, with 2 legs in the wand pocket. Used my Berghaus Arete 45L with room to spare – Comfortable and not unbearably heavy. When the snow's gone and it warms up a bit I will revert to a 30L sack. DIY modular storage works for me.

doc_blues
    Free Member

Have a couiple of lowe rucksacks – but they aint particularily good out in the hills – tend to go DIY and carry minimum of kit (body, 1 lens, polariser etc) – like the modular DIY idea and have similar to SFB for easy access on the belt.

You can buy inserts for bags eg DOMKE or billingham do them, but they aint cheap – if you wanted to go the DIY route. or some ripstop, a sleeping mat and sewing machine should see some custom inserts in no time.

nbt

lowepro compudaypack for £34.99 is a bit of a bargain. I've a Minitrekker AW but TBH unless I'm taking everything, I normally juts put the camera in my rucksack

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Have a look at the Kata range of bags ]

I have the smaller DR465 which still takes a fair bit of gear, new design out now which includes a tripod holder

stumpy01

Have a look at ThinkTank Photo equipment. I bought their Digital Holster 10 & chest harness to use on the bike and the quality of it is excellent.

I've just had a quick look at their website & their backpacks are pretty discrete, although quite pricey.

Their website is: http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

and they are distributed in the uk by Snapfish, I think..

DrJ

Have a look at the Kata range of bags

Don't, if you want a clear conscience.
    http://www.kata-bags.com/about.asp?page=12

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Why is that a problem? just proves the bags come from a well proven testing background

So you don't use anything that was originally developed for the military, think you are going to be leading a rather spartan life

algarvebairn
    Free Member

A couple of those DaKine's look good but a bit od the dear side. I use a Northface with some foam padding inside. Does the trick but as it doesn't fully open it can be a bit of a pain accessing gear.

You can buy inserts to put it any bag. Domke is a name I've heard.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have a look for one of these

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Primus-AW,1995,14.htm

Full price is bonkers – £170 or something! – but I got mine for about £55 brand new off Ebay.
    It's a bit of a heavy bag in it's own right, but it's half camera bag, half rucksack and can also take a 3l bladder too. You don't have to take it off to get to the camera (Side access) And if you take off the shoulder staps, leave the waist strap done up, you can spin it round and open it up to get at the rest of your gear as well. Mine carries camera with lens, another lens and a remote flash on a mini tripod, and there's pockets for spare batteries, filters etc. There's a pull out cover as well, which I've used both times I've used the bag so far.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

So you don't use anything that was originally developed for the military, think you are going to be leading a rather spartan life

and isn't that a sad comment on humanity that our greatest efforts are focussed on destruction?

nbt

And it'a rather ironic that you use that quote, since "spartan" refers to Sparta and the original harsh, austere life of their military trinaing regime

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

and isn't that a sad comment on humanity that our greatest efforts are focussed on destruction

Maybe sad, but a fact of life and daresay some of the advances have actually helped save lives too

Sandwich

I'm using a Tamrac zoom bag which isn't too bad but the velocity range might be better for what you want.

DrJ

I don't knowingly use anything developed for the Israeli military (or, indeed, anything made in Israel) and my life is certainly not spartan.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I don't knowingly use anything developed for the Israeli military

you mean the American miltary.

anyway

I use a Lowepro Primu AW like PP does, nice bit of kit but the side access is useless if your camera is bigger than a D300 or has a battery grip. I easily carry 4 lenses, body, 2 speedlights and a tripod plus accessories and still have room for waterproof etc.

And PP – hadn't thought of the spin it round to access the rest of the kit thing, thanks!

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Are they any worse than all the others then?

Maybe we should all boycott Japanese made products because of their conduct in WW2 or maybe German goods or perhaps, well you get the idea

More than entitled to your views, but don't think it needed mentioning on a thread about camera bags

GrahamS

I didn't realise the Israeli military had a special forces photographic division 😀

DrJ

More than entitled to your views, but don't think it needed mentioning on a thread about camera bags

Why not? What better place to mention the origins of Kata camera bags.

As for the other examples – yes, if the Germans were still busy rounding up people for the concentration camps, I would advocate not buying German stuff. Isn't that obvious?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

No its not obvious, daresay most things have a reason for not buying them if you look long and hard enough

Animal testing and cheap labour to name but two, hardly think buying a Kata bag is sponsoring Mossad though.

Bloody good bag and more than happy with it, make sure you steer clear of those Jaffa oranges too.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I am liking Kata – the gear is very, very good. Currently using one of the Sling Bag/convert to Rucksack things (the largest – 3N30 or something???). Very very good indeed, with superb levels of protection.

Much as I dislike many things about the state of Isreal it aint going to stop me using Kata bags. Sorry.

DrJ

Enjoy your bag. I understand that pillows filled with Jews hair are comfortable, so you might like to try those out too

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

EDIT Author removed offensive reply to the above unpleasant comment

This really ain't the place for politics and religion arguments

DrJ

Eh? Politics and religion are what we do round here! Hadn't you noticed?

mud-monster
    Free Member

zips went on my lowpro in the end… Crumpler next time.. 😆

algarvebairn
    Free Member

The Germans had a bicycle corps. Maybe better not cycle any more eh?

FFS every product and opinion is going to be offensive to somebody at some level. Be cool.

oomidamon

Ok, I think I'll buy a Crumpler and an Uzi…

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a backpack for my SLR’ is closed to new replies.