Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend me a 29er for a short man
  • rhid

Hello,

After much thought I have decided to get a 29er. I have never really paid them much attention til my friend brought his Hardtail to the Dyfi and had a great time on it. It convinced me that they are a lot of fun and that i want one!

I am not tall. I have been looking at the BeOne HTs on Merlin as they seem bargains but they start 17″ with a long TT which would be a fraction too long for my tastes. I have really taken a liking to the Kenesis FF29 which I would definately look into getting (once I sell my DH bike). However are there other nice builds out there? What do the shorter gentlemen of STW ride?

I was considering a 27.5 too but having 2 x 26″s already would the 27.5 be that different? What I would be looking for is a 29 – 27.5 Trail Hardtail, not specifically a XC racey style bike.

grtdkad

Budget?

Here’s a 15″ Clockwork S 29er I’m currently thinking of…reduced to £849 from £1149

http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.php?product_id=2058&category_id=143

Kinesis nice too

rhid

The budget would depend on DH bike sale to be honest. I would happily go second hand. The Orange looks good. The Canyon and Radon bikes also look like good value. Still the FF29 is out in front as my fave though.

anysize
    Free Member

Isn’t the small FF29 a 650b ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

anysize – Member
    Isn’t the small FF29 a 650b ?

No not really.

How tall? I know one lass who is about 5’2 on a xc 29r, the missus is on the medium tall boy and she is shorter than me.

Usual rules apply get on a few and have a spin

london_lady
    Free Member

I am 5ft 3″ish and have a xs Niner EMD9
    EMD9

anysize
    Free Member

No not really

OK, sorry, my mistake. I thought I’d read somewhere about Kinesis using a smaller wheel for the small size frame, but maybe that was the Sync or something.

funkrodent

I’m of the belief that wheel size should relate to frame size. Being very tall I find that on a 26″ my centre of gravity is very high in relation to the wheels/axles, less so on a 27.5, even less on a 29. My understanding is that 29 can be very unwieldy for the less tall, with the wheels being disproportionately (try spelling that after a few sherbets) large in comparison to the frame/rider. That being the case you may well be better off with a good 650b. If you want an all-purpose, hooligan bike for little outlay, have you considered the On-One 456 which is now available as the 45650b (did you see what they did there?).

In terms of difference, my 650b rolls better and climbs better. Haven’t noticed any real difference in acceleration/maneouvrability. I’d say go for it!

rhid

I’m 5″6 so not tiny but not massive!

I will get out and see what I like. I did look at the 45650B as I have had a 456 before. It just doesn’t really make me want to buy it, not like the FF29 anyways!

To be honest this is all just talk til I sell my DH bike or win he lottery!

mboy
    Free Member

Small FF29 would probably be just the ticket.

Just got my GF one as she tried my medium sized Sync out and at 5ft8 (but long in the leg) and with a 70mm stem it felt a tiny bit stretched to her.

Built her small FF29 with a 70mm stem and she says it’s too cramped! So about to put a longer stem on it. Basically she’s probably just between the small and medium but I felt it would be safer for her to go slightly small rather than slightly big.

I think Dom Mason who designed the frame is 5ft6 FWIW and rides a small FF29.

Oh and awesome bikes by the way…

OP, where are you? If you’re anywhere near Worcester/Droitwich you can come sling a leg over my GF’s small FF29 for size and my medium Sync if you wanted to…

rhid

I’m in Llanberis! Shame as a go on a FF29 would be brilliant! Thanks for the offer though.

enfht
    Free Member

Remember to buy a clown nose to go with your clown bike 😆

grtdkad

If you’re anywhere near Worcester/Droitwich you can come sling a leg over my GF

Sorry.
    Couldn’t resist.

househusband

Recommend me a 29er for a short man

In all seriousness… I wouldn’t. At least not until (sounds like you haven’t) actually ridden one properly… I’m well over 6′ and am still not convinced that I’ve made the right decision to move from 26 > 29″.

In the same way that people above suggest a relationship between wheel and frame size I’d suggest the same between height and wheel size.

Rather than just thinking about getting one, get out there and ride one on trails with which you are familiar.

scotroutes

I’m 5’7″ and will likely never buy another 26er. 29ers and fatbikes are where it’s at these days.

DanW
    Free Member

Perhaps someone who owns a 29er can correct me but don’t 29ers tend to run slightly longer in the TT compared to the equivalent smaller wheeled bike of the same brand and model? I only mention this as the OP seems to be discounting frames based upon TT length…

takisawa2

5’9″ on a medium SIR.9
    About as perfect a bike I’ve ever ridden.
    I reckon the small would fit like a glove.

LMT
    Free Member

As a couple have said, you really have to ride one, I managed to ride a speshi carve or crave? at Cannock a few months back and loved it. Im a short arse 5ft5 at most 30″ inside leg, after the demo day I went and ordered a Canyon: Grand Canyon 6.9 and its an immense bike, the only reason I didn’t get the speshi was travel the small frames only come with 80mm and I know I need/want 100mm at least.

The Canyon is perfect for Cannock and if your a rider that keeps the tyres to the ground which is pretty much how I ride. The fit is perfect and well ive only had 2 rides out so far, taking the canyon for another blast tomorrow. Should of said my 29er is a small frame, and you can tell looking at it, but the front end is higher than my speshi camber 26er which is a medium but that helps with the fit.

Before I looked at the canyon I looked at the boardman team pro 29er but the TT was a little too long, the canyon is probably the first bike I’ve had that actually fits. If you want an xs in the canyon they come with 650b wheels not the 29ers.

People mock but until you ride one then you know if you want one or not, 29ers have come a long way in the last 4 years, geometry and spec’s are loads better than 4 years ago.

womp
    Free Member

I’m 5’6″ and have a FS 29er, it’s awsome , the height wheel size relationship is rubbish, get your self a 29er and go watch those Strava PR’s tumble.

And remember don’t forget to be a dick about it!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

but don’t 29ers tend to

They are not all the same!

The height thing is BS as I know short people on 29r’s loving it and tall people on 26″.
    Different styles of bike suit different things, for fast XC 29 seems to have it nailed. There is a middle ground where it’s not as obvious.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 29er for a short man’ is closed to new replies.