Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Recommend me a 29+ ‘most’ season front tyre?
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Surly Dirt Wizard 29x 3 on the front for a while now and its nearing the end of its days. Tried a Bonty Chupacubra up front before that, but it didn’t cut it on the front unless it was dusty dry conditions.

Before I go ahead and replace the Dirt Wizard like for like I wondered if anyone had any experience on anything else?

Currently on a beefy Stans Hugo rim, but may swap that with a less weighty Stans Baron. But may not 🙂

Anyway. Any suggestions for a 29×3 front tyre to fit & forget for UK riding?

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve only used Chronicles in that size front and rear and they work well, they are good mile munchers, fast and wear very well but aren’t great in the gloop. Minions, Vigilante, XR4 and Duro Crux are the other ones I’d consider if you want a bit more bite. I have a spare Chronicle if you’d like to give it a go…

letmetalktomark

I’m currently running a DHR on the front in 29plus guise in the all singing 3c compound.

It’s a great front for when you don’t need the tread depth of the DHF.

That said I’m still running Knards on another bike

ajantom

Minion DHF has been on the front of my Krampus for 22 months now, rain and shine it’s been great.
    I do have a couple of other bikes, but have probably done 1200 miles on it at least, and it looks hardly worn!

fatbikedog
    Free Member

I have 29×3.25 duro crux on my stooge speedball. I ride every week in all weathers and it copes with everything. I am tubeless and have 50mm rims so running 11psi. I have not had the bike in the summer so cant comment on how well it runs in dry weather. It is also a bit of a bargain comparee to some.

Cheezpleez

Second the Duro Crux – but it’s not the lightest if that matters to you.

big_scot_nanny

DHF for me too. Exo 3c max terra. Excellent tire. 12psi is the sweetspot for me and my riding. I find it less supple than the dirt wizard, but works better in a wider range and with more support in tough corners. Much more puncture proof too (tubeless snakebites were a constant presence with DWs)

sillyoldman

DHF

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve just swapped from a Chupacabra to a Minion DHF on the front and now my Stache is mindblowingly capable. I have two sets of wheels for day to day riding and generally run the DHF front and Chupacabra rear – it’s really good down the DH trails at Innerleithen, to the point where I almost prefer it to the Specialized Hillbilly semi-spike on my big full suspension bike, it’s just more confidence inspiring. And it works much, much better in any mud than the Chupacabra, obviously.

swavis

I currently have a DHF on the front and it’s great but think I’m going to swap it for a Chronicle for this weekends Puffer as the Minion is a big old beast.

sv

DHF deeper tread than the DHR?

Paceman
    Free Member

29×2.8″ Magic Mary Addix Soft

akkwlsk
    Free Member

@Paceman only one issue – it doesn’t exist 😉

DHF all year.

Paceman
    Free Member

@Paceman only one issue – it doesn’t exist 😉

Ooops… I assumed it was available in both 27.5″ and 29″

honeybadgerx

I run a WTB Ranger front and rear most of the time, then swap the front for an XR4 for a bit more grip if needed. If I’m going full on then the XR4 goes on the back and a DHF goes on the front.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Bonty XR4 are great on my Stache not like the hairy tyres it came with in the mud anyway

samcheese
    Free Member

I replaced a Dirt Wizard with a DHF and I have not been disappointed.

davidj

I recently swapped the Chupacapra(XR2) on the front of my Stache for an XR4. It was quite a revelation. Obviously more grip, but I was then also able to lower the pressure to ~11psi and get even more grip. It felt much more confidence inspiring at Coed y Brenin last week and encourages you to throw the bike about much more.

An XR4 is 1100g, which is not too bad for a 3.0 tyre with big knobbles. I suspect the sidewall is not as tough as a DHF but it seemed a good compromise to me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was going to say DHF, I’ve not tried it in 29+ but have had them in other formats and other companies copies on several bikes and they always seem to work really well as long as you prioritize grip and durability over weight and rolling resistance.

Bigmantrials

They guy over at NSMB is very keen on the 29er plus Vigilante!

bonzodog
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments people.

Might try a Minion DHF then.

..or a Duro Crux

..or an XR4.

Oh lordy..

Clink

I have just ridden a xc event, a day at Cwmcarn and 2 days of bikepacking with a DHF on the front of my Stooge. Just works.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Well, its for a Stooge, so maybe that’s a sign 🙂

What rim you running it on Clink?

bonzodog
    Free Member

Is this the DHF I need?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Maxxis-Minion-DHF-Folding-3C-DD-TR-29-MTB-Off-Road-Tyre_105810.htm

There’s too many letters & numbers options for my luddite brain to cope with 🙁

Clink

Wheels built by JRA – their hubs on WTB 35mm internal. I ideally wanted wider on front but rims were on offer and seem to be doing the job.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Is this the DHF I need?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Maxxis-Minion-DHF-Folding-3C-DD-TR-29-MTB-Off-Road-Tyre_105810.htm

There’s too many letters & numbers options for my luddite brain to cope with 🙁

No it isn’t (he answers his own question), because if you look closely you’ll see it’s only a 29×2.3. Doh!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 29+ ‘most’ season front tyre?’ is closed to new replies.