Recommend daily stretches for cycle commuters

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  IHN.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend daily stretches for cycle commuters
  • Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Any cycle commuters do daily stretches on arrival (or perhaps before leaving) work? What stretches are important enough for you to always make time for?

I sometimes do stretches on getting back home at the end of the day, but usually only if it was an extended commute where I worked up a good sweat. Do you bother with stretches after a easier commute?

Currently my commutes are between 4 and 7 miles.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Abi Carver 15 min yoga…..

You might not do the full 15 mins with all the breathing and relaxation, but the positions / stretches can be extracted easily enough.

Never used to but I’ve got some major nerve trappage these days so I’m doing about 15 mins a day, especially piriformis and neck / shoulder area. Commute is about 2h a day though.

steezysix

Yeah, the Abi Carver 15 min post ride stretch is a good one, you’ll want a yoga/camping mat ideally. I also try to do itb stretches as I have an old running injury that flares up sometimes.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

What if most days you only have 5 minutes?

tjagain

No evidence that stretches do any good if you like an evidence base for your practice.  Personally I have never bothered

steezysix

Get to work 10 mins earlier? Seriously though, if you watch the video, there’s about 5 mins of breathing exercise at the beginning that you could skip (although it is quite good) and a short relaxation bit at the end. Do the routine a couple of times and learn the bits that benefit you most, then do the full lot when you get home.

It’s not really worth it after a four mile ride!

Sitting at a desk all day is what’ll **** you up.

If you’ve only got five mins then you could just do different ones each day

hip flexors/quads & hamstrings (medial and lateral)
    Adductors and abductors
    TFL and calves
    QL and abs

I probably wouldn’t bother unless you’re in pain already.

IHN

It’s not really worth it after a four mile ride!

Sitting at a desk all day is what’ll **** you up.

This.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend daily stretches for cycle commuters’ is closed to new replies.