Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend an alternative crankset pls?
  • LoveTubs
    Free Member

I’m not loving my xt crank arms, they’re getting tired; I’d prefer a more subtle/nimble replacement (must be black).

Can you folks recommend a suitable replacement that boasts similar or better changing quality to Shimano?

I’m running 9spd atm, but would consider x2 10spd left shifter and front mech as a start to the inevitable to 10spd ‘upgrade’…but a nice one-for-one swap would be great for now.

Race face look pretty cool, but I have no idea of their performance….advice welcomed.

Cheers.

GW
    Free Member

deore rings with Saint arms
    that combination can’t be beaten for shifting performance/durability/strength to weight/stiffness/value for money. IMO

mboy
    Free Member

There’s just no beating Shimano… Shifting performance, price, stifness/weight ratio, longevity, etc.

If you don’t like your current XT arms cos they’re silver and have 3 rings, buy some new XT cranks, available in 2 and 3 ring setups but now available in black as well as silver!

Raceface are usually heavier, and not as stiff or durable as shimano IMO, and they’re a lot more expensive too! Can look quite nice though…

Superficial
    Free Member

Those new black XT cranks look like Deore and the black paint comes off in seconds. Black cranks in general are a silly idea. The Shifting on anything from SLX upwards is basically perfect, if the XT isn’t shifting well I’d take a close look at your front mech setup.

Oh, and XTR cranks are the only cranks better than XT.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Middleburn cranks and rings and a good old fashioned but reliable internal square taper BB.

I am sure others say that Middleburn stuff doesn’t shift as well as Shimano but I am totally happy with mine and never had a shifting problem with the normal Middleburn rings I have.

dickie
    Free Member

This

Also here

Mine states 10 speed only on the rings but I run it 9 speed OK.

ruscle
    Free Member

Middleburn X-type. You can change them to single ring, double or tripple as you wish by buying a different spider arm. Also come with a life time warranty which is honoured plus their british.

£205 Middleburns with rings

LoveTubs
    Free Member

Thanks for the info folks, nice one.

therealhoops
    Free Member

GO OLD SKOOL
    Hollowtech 1 crank arms, UN51 bb and SIS front mech. Job done, total cost about £60.

Look in awe people!… IT’S THE FUTURE (only about 20years ago)

edit: that front mech with an XO GripShift is as rare as a quick handy off the Pope but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

If you’re running 1×9, Saint arms + Renthal ring works a treat. Stiff, reliable, tough

andrewh
    Free Member

Middleburn RS8.
    Either square with UN74 (or Royce if £ isn’t an issue) or X-type with Chris Bling BB.
    But the black does wear off a little. Maybe start silver?
    Also have a look at Tune Bigfoot.
    I’ve gone to MBs after breaking a RF carbon one. 3 MBs on the MTBs and a Tune on the road bike.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend an alternative crankset pls?’ is closed to new replies.