• This topic has 21 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommend an alehouse in Didsbury, Manchester
  • Garry_Lager

A mate has suggested meeting up for a bevvy in Didsbury. Not my manor, guv, although I know you can’t swing a cat there without hitting some horrendous gastro-pub. Is there anywhere tucked away that does good ale and would be good for a session?

dooosuk
    Free Member

Which Didsbury, East or West?

Garry_Lager

Anywhere really, I’ll cycle and I think my mate will be on the metro link.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

Tell him to get off the metro in The Peoples Republic of Chorlton instead. You’ve got a far better selection of decent ale houses. Didsbury will be hideous this close to Christmas.

You could even bump into Hora in The Marble. Imagine that! 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Seem to remember a decent pint or few in a wetherspoons last time I ventured that far north. Seemed to have normal people in there as well.

dazh

On no account should you go to the Metropolitan in West Didsbury. It’ll cost you £5 a pint and you’ll be surrounded by braying West Didsbury young professional types who think they’re living the high life.

julians
    Free Member

On no account should you go to the Metropolitan in West Didsbury. It’ll cost you £5 a pint and you’ll be surrounded by braying West Didsbury young professional types who think they’re living the high life.

I was going to suggest the metropolitan, its pretty near to the tram station, so handy for your mate, and has a decent atmosphere, but can be pretty busy.

Used to be my local until I moved away – I must be a braying young professional living the high life.

Yak

Its been a while since I was in those parts, but wasn’t there a more down-to-earth pub opposite the Metropolitan? The Railway or something?

Beer wasn’t great though – Robinson’s pub probably

hora
    Free Member

I liked this place

The huge place further up (‘the didsbury’) is ok for drink but the food went down hill.

acidchunks

Def chorlton over didsbury.

Pi
    Marble
    The Beagle

All have great selection of ales.

Bunnyhop

The Fletcher Moss is good.

Hora – The Crown used to be owned by the father of 2 friends of mine. He was a horrible little man and treated his staff and customers appallingly.
    However he kept his cellar in good order and it was always packed out. He was loaded!

hora
    Free Member

Popped Into the Didsbury tonight. **** its a horrible souless place and now you have to pay to park there. Wow. Plus 3/4 of the seating is now dinner only.

Old cock across the road had more life in it and a good Stout on tap.

oldboy
    Free Member

Haven’t been there for years, but The Griffin used to be good. Not exactly Didsbury though!

Duggan

Mary and Archie’s has a decent selection of ales and always good when I’ve been in

binners

Didsbury tends to be full of braying southern half-wits (further added to by the BBC) or scallies from Stockport. It’s bloody awful!

Get yourself off to Chorlton

RustySpanner

Chorlton is full of the kind of people who genuinely believe they are somehow bohemian and cutting edge because they live in an overpriced Mancunian suburb, pay over the odds for knobbly veg and have easy access to Britain’s largest dog toilet (which they laughably describe as a ‘water park’).

Didsbury is similar, but the locals at least have some sense of their inherent repulsiveness.
    😀

Combined, they are Manchester’s ‘B Ark’ – entirely populated by people who wouldn’t be missed if the whole place fell into the Mersey.

RustySpanner

Oh, apart from The Great Kathmandu, which really is a wonderful curry house.

hora
    Free Member

Chorlton is half full of nice folk and half full of people who paid 100k EXTRA to buy into a pretend thing. Its nice suburbia. Like Sale idiots buy buy.

Binners, doffs cap.. was well there before years ago.

Garry_Lager

oldboy – Member

Haven’t been there for years, but The Griffin used to be good. Not exactly Didsbury though! Is that the Griffin in Heaton Mersey? That’s a fine alehouse. I’m not really a fan of Joey Holt ale, but sort of admire their old-school approach. We’ll not be having any of that hoppy craft-brew shite in here thank you very much. Big City pub as well, if you swing that way.

Thks all for the suggestions – my mate used to live in Didsbury years ago so that’s why he has suggested it as a trip down memory lane.

ourmaninthenorth

Spent 10 years living in Didsbury, West to Village and back to West.

Just go to Burton Road. There’ll be a cool place to hang out with the cool kids who’d love to be able afford a house there but can’t.

Though I’ve been out in the West Lancs sticks for nearly 3 years, I still miss the place, whatever the jealous types above may think…..

If you’re going to the village, just expect another night of whateversville like any other suburb….

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

The Nelson is where it’s at.

I’d second the comments on the Met. It’s my idea of hell on earth.. Wall to wall with ****.

hora
    Free Member

Ourmanupnorth you left. You cant comeback, your fakeLondonofthenorth pass has been revoked.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommend an alehouse in Didsbury, Manchester’ is closed to new replies.