Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Recommend a webcam app for use across Android and Windows
  • IHN

In anticipation of eventual dog arrival, I want to be able to check up on how/what it’s doing (or destroying…) when it’s on its own.

I have an Android tablet and a couple of Windows laptops, and they each have an inbuilt camera. Is there an app I can install on all of them so I can use those cameras as webcams, and use my phone to see the camera feeds?

beanum

Teamviewer? It looks like they have a mobile app.

It’s not a webcam app specifically but it should do what you want…

IHN

Hmm, not sure about Teamviewer.

What I have in my head is something like an app where I create an account and install the app on the various devices. I log into the account on each device, point them at the areas I want to be wecammed and I can see the camera feeds from any other logged-in/active device. Make sense?

Does such a thing exist?

sharkbait
    Free Member

How about something browser based like http://www.uploadcamapp.com which would upload directly to Google Drive meaning you don’t need to web a small web server.

IHN

I can’t see that will allow me to see a real-time feed, am I missing something?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I have no experience of the app but you may be able to configure it to take pics and upload them every x mins. I you want a realtime feed then I think you’re going to have to open up some ports in your home network.

IHN

I you want a realtime feed then I think you’re going to have to open up some ports in your home network.

Really? How does something like a video conference on Skype or FaceTime work then?

TBH, I’m wondering whether I can get Skype to do what I’m after.

Cougar

Really? How does something like a video conference on Skype or FaceTime work then?

Oversimplifying somewhat, but:

A firewall in a home router typically will allow all outbound traffic but block any inbound which isn’t a reply to a previous outbound request.

Skype is always connected to a remote ‘server,’ so when a call is attempted both ends are already waiting for a response and thus the firewalls allow the reply which makes the initial connection.

The two ends then try to talk to each other directly using the port number the other end is transmitting on. The initial attempt will be blocked by the remote firewalls but then the inbound traffic is seen as a reply to the (blocked) request and is allowed through.

It’s called “UDP hole punching” if you really care to read more about it. It’s rather ingenious.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a webcam app for use across Android and Windows’ is closed to new replies.