Recommend a reliable road pump capable of proper road pressures

Home Forum Bike Forum Recommend a reliable road pump capable of proper road pressures

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend a reliable road pump capable of proper road pressures
  • Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

My Zefal HPX is great. Fits perfectly under the top tube (no pump peg though).

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Similar issues with Lezyne.

Small frame so an HPX takes up water bottle space.

If solo, I compromise with the Lezyne and rebuild the bloody thing every time I have to use it.

Two of us and we take the Topeak Morph, the one with the fold out foot.
    Hardly ever use it, but invaluable when it’s pissing down, windy and dark.

Premier Icon somafunk
    Subscriber

Fit proper tyres of at least 28mm and inflate to a pressure that will conform to the road surface and make you faster for less effort rather than bounce down the road on skinny tyres pumped up to stupid pressures to satisfy fashion?.

Runs away and hide under the bridge with fingers in ears……………. 😉

Premier Icon ahwiles
    Subscriber

What somafunk said.

28mm tyres, 75psi rear, 65 front. Still pretty firm, a nice bit of give when needed.

butcher

Fit proper tyres of at least 28mm and inflate to a pressure that will conform to the road surface…

To be fair, I mostly do. Running 28s which rarely see a lot more than 80psi, except on the finest of summer days… However, I’d like a pump that can reach those pressures comfortably.

wilburt

co2 cartridge and minipump.

I’m doing 6k miles per year and use 3 or 4 cartridges max and cant remember the last time I used the pump at all.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Just take the bluddy Morph! Mine is mounted to the frame and I still have two bottle cages. Stick some tape over the frame if you’re worried about paint damage.

jonba

Topeak are good. I’ve never had a problem with my Topeak hybridrocket. Granted, it isn’t quick like a frame pump but you can get to 100psi with it.

butcher

Currently have a Topeak Road Morph, and it’s absolutely fantastic. Realistically it’s the only pump you’ll ever need… If you don’t mind cable tying it to your frame, or losing a water bottle mount.

So, I’m looking to replace it with something sturdier, kinder to my paintwork, and possibly more aesthetically pleasing.

Frame fit pump like the Zefal HPX is a possibility, but unsure how sturdy it will be, especially as I’ve no pump peg on the frame.

This is the 21st century though and I can’t help but think there must be loads of pumps that will fit under the bottle cage and easily reach 100psi?

Not a big fan of Lezyne – my alloy drive has had several issues which could have had me stranded at road side, including screwing valve cores out, and corrosion pretty much welding the hose to the pump, requiring mole grips to remove it! I have a £5 Aldi pump which has performed better in every way.

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

Paul wrote:

This is the 21st century though and I can’t help but think there must be loads of pumps that will fit under the bottle cage and easily reach 100psi?

Yeah – a Road Morph. At least that’s where I have mine mounted, so I’m not understanding the problem.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

aracer wrote:

butcher  » This is the 21st century though and I can’t help but think there must be loads of pumps that will fit under the bottle cage and easily reach 100psi?
    Yeah – a Road Morph. At least that’s where I have mine mounted, so I’m not understanding the problem.

The problem the OP has is that the standard Road Morph bracket doesn’t allow a bottle cage to be fitted as well

So – you either use one set of bottle cage mounts or you zip-tie it to the frame.

butcher

Yeah, I’ve been using the Road Morph a few years now and like I say, I think it’s great. But it’s either lose a bottle cage, or mount it to the top tube with cable ties, which is pretty crude to say the least.

Problems with that:
    [list]
    [*]It looks like shit.[/*]
    [*]It has scratched my frame to shit.[/*]
    [*]The cut off cable ties have scratched my legs to shit.[/*]
    [/list]
    It’s only the mount that lets it down. Having looked around, there have been quite a few threads about it over the years, identifying other bottle cage mounts that fit, but all referring to stuff that’s no longer available.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I have mine mounted on the seat tube.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TDpJUJ]1040028[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

I’m pretty happy with the HPX, but I use a Zefal Doodad rubber and velcro extra strap to make sure it doesn’t go AWOL on the bumpy stuff.

Premier Icon peteimpreza
    Subscriber

Keep the pump but don’t use the standard mounting bracket .

I have mine attached unde a bottle cage using a Blackburn mount .

Premier Icon aracer
    Subscriber

ScotRoutes wrote:

The problem the OP has is that the standard Road Morph bracket doesn’t allow a bottle cage to be fitted as well

They must have “improved” it I guess – I’m using the mount which came with it, though it must be at least 15 years old! (it looks very similar to that, but sits sideways rather than straight).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.