Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend a portable gas BBQ/Grill/Oven thing.
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Hi,

I was thinking about getting something like the Campingaz Party Grill 400 for family camping trips.

We do have a dual hob stove but wondered if one of these would provide us with more options as well as using it as a cheat’s BBQ?

Has anyone used one?

Can anyone recommend one?

Cheers,

Mick

IHN

We were camping at the weekend with Marcus off of here and his family. They have a Cadac Safari wotsit, I’m tempted to get one myself.

geomickb
    Free Member

@IHN yeah, I was looking at one of them.

What did he cook on it?

I just wonder if it works OK as an oven/grill/BBQ or do they get used just for the hob?

Cheers,

Mick

IHN

We used it as a BBQ (chicken, burgers, sausages, halloumi, chops, that kinda thing), worked great. I’ve been with him on a previous trip when we’ve used it to fry bacon on the hotplate wotsit, and they were saying that they’ll often use the lid as a wok to do stir-fry kinda stuff.

Dunno about using it as an oven, it didn’t come up in conversation.

towzer

Cadac safari chef lp user here (motor home with external gas point and 907 cylinder in garden)

We have fried, grilled(sort of bbq griddle thing) big pan/‘woked’ very successfully, we haven’t tried the roast pan or pizza stuff (extra bit) but it appears that you can do it

Only thing I would change is that ours is an old model with a round knob control(which does several revolutions) , if it had a 1 to 10 scale it would be handy as it’s hard to see a small flame(hidden under heat shield/pans) when cooking in daylight I think the newer models may be

It’s easy to clean but only if you assemble it correctly (rtm, ho hum)

There seem to be different versions (differing cooking bits) available so check exactly what you want/are buying

Edit – it’s quite a small frying bbq area, fine for us as a couple

lowey

Another vote for Cadac Safari Chef 2.

Brilliant bit of kit.

ads678

I’ve had a Cadac for a few years now. We use it for all sorts, but as our main camping cooker now. Haven’t used the dual gas burner stove since we bought the Cadac.

The hot plate is great for breakfasts, and it bbq’ s well on the grill. We bought the extra pizza stone and have cooked pizzas or flat bread type things, it’s never gonna be as good as an unni but it does the job.

We take a secondary hiking gas burner as a back but rarely use it tbh.

We’ve got separate hot plate and bbq grill but I think some newer ones have a combined/split single one that seems a really shit idea to me.

Buy one, you won’t regret it.

IHN

Edit – it’s quite a small frying bbq area, fine for us as a couple

To counter this slightly, it’s true it’s not massive, but we BBQ’d for four adults and two children quite happily on it at the weekend.

surfer
    Free Member

Got the Campingaz 400 and its very good. I went for the screw in canister as oppose to the larger bottle. Glad I did. Its not huge but we managed several meals and still gas left out of a small canister.
    Only 2 of us though so may be small for a family.

geomickb
    Free Member

@surfer

Can it use either (hose to large bottle and small canisters) or are they different models?

surfer
    Free Member

I think they are different models. I originally ordered the one with the large bottle but there was a delay and I bought the screw in one instead as I needed it for a trip. Glad I did. It means that you can have a full spare canister so you know for sure you have plenty of gas even if you are not sure how much is left in the current one. Carrying a spare large one would be a faff and you cant be sure when they are going to run out.
    Also it sits neatly on the table for cooking. The hose model hangs over obvs, down to the bottle. Not a bit deal but a bit less convenient.

geomickb
    Free Member

Yeah, I just called Campingaz, your model is the CV 400 which only takes canisters.

I think that’s a benefit of the Cadec (LP) you can use both.

Tiger6791

Had a CG party grill, it’s sat in garage now, I’d take £10 if you’re near!

Use a Cadac Safari and rate it much higher that the party grill

DrP

I’ve recently got a Weber Q1200.. the small gas BBQ. I also got a cast iron plate for it (the grill comes away in halves).
    It’s brilliant – bbq/fry/roast etc etc on it.
    Lovely bit of kit – my first gas BBQ and it’s amazing!

I frequently cook up a meal for one/two on it. Really looking forward to taking it camping with the kids in a few weeks!

DRP

tekp2
    Free Member

Got a cadac safari LP for two week family camping trip earlier this summer. Highly recommended. Not massive, but cooked for 2 adults and two kids every day with no problem.

(Normally I use a Weber go anywhere charcoal, but campsite said gas only)

ratherbeintobago

The very small cuboidal Weber is ace. We’ve used ours loads.

One burner, enamelled grate. Only issue is the lovely job of cleaning the grease out of the bottom of it after a week away.

DrP

I can imagine!
    The q1200 has a drip tray, so after a nice cook up you can get all the grease and rub it over your chest and back to help you tan…
    Win win…

DrP

db

Cadac safari LP in our van. We carry 2 907 cylinders so use one connected to the van cooker and one ‘spare’ for the Cadac. We always use the spare first as so rarely use the cooker in the van these days. Cadac is used for everything.

Ours is the original which as said above is a pain to control. I carry a pair of leather work gloves in the bag so I can lift the top and see the flame/relight it.

Latest mark 2 has better control I’m told. Really wish ours would die so I can justify buying the new one but despite some rust on the burner it just seems to keep going.

a11y

Cadac Safari Chef user here, think we’ve had it over 10 years. Recommended. Used mainly on hols in campervan/caravan. Superb for burgers/meat as well as breakfasts. And successfully used for pizzas too – suggest sticking to thin-based ones but even then you end up with a VERY crispy bottom mostly.

However, recently bought a George Foreman BBQ Grill thingy for caravan use as we’re always hooked up to leccy, and equally as good for the meat etc. Yet to try it with pizza though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a portable gas BBQ/Grill/Oven thing.’ is closed to new replies.