• This topic has 19 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by drewd.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommend a multitool for…
  • sirromj

being usable to break chains, and reach bolt heads?

I currently have one of these:

But the hex keys are too short, and the only way I’m able to get enough leverage on the chain breaker to actually brake a chain is by gripping it with an adjustable wrench.

So what multitool for reaching bolt heads partially hidden by gear shifters and breaking chains without assistance from other tools?

Poopscoop

I don’t know if they are the current favourite but I’ve been using an Alien 2 for years. Built complete bikes with it (almost) many a time and is still my favourite tool for longer rides where you want to cover the most bases to prevent a long walk home.

coatesy
    Free Member

Standard answer is Topeak Hexus 11. Has just about everything necessary, works properly, and doesn’t cost a fortune.

ashweee
    Free Member

I’ve used an alien 2 for years which is great because it has every tool you can think of but is quite heavy and bulky to carry, I recently bought a crank brothers F15 which so far has been excellent plus the outer cover can be used for extra leverage.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/crankbrothers-f15-multi-tool-review.html

joshvegas
    Free Member

Topeak pocket rocket and an actual chainbreaker.

The only issue being its such a handy tool it tends to migrate from my riding stuff to save going to the workshop.

cookeaa

Crank bros 17F here, chain tool works well IME.

chipster

I like the Topeak Hexus 2, always used to carry it in the Camelbak, but now, because it comes with the tyre levers, it stays in the under saddle bag of the Arkose. It doesn’t have any spanners on it, though.

I’ve got a Crank Brothers 17F in the pack now, but I’ve not used it so much. The hex keys are a bit on the stubby side, though. I have a 3, 4, 5 and 6mm Allen key in a small plastic bag that I put in my baggies’ pocket, when I remember. Belt and braces.

DickBarton

That plus a couple of single Allen keys to fit the hard to reach stuff…and some hand exercises to strengthen them to not need an adjuster.

sirromj

The Crank Brothers F15 almost has it, but would prefer longer tools. The Hexus II looks to be what I want. Thanks.

DezB
    Free Member

Been looking for something similar, without much haste as it doesn’t get used much, but it’s annoying when it does…

What I will say is I had a Topeak one like the Hexus (not sure of model) and it went very rusty. So look after it and don’t keep it in a road bike saddle bag!

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Anyone used a Hexus X? Looks like a bargain at £13..

DezB
    Free Member

This looks good on Sportpursuit

I’ll order 2 if you fancy it 😀

There’s also a proper chain tool for £10! 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll be clicking “buy” button in 10 mins, so say if you want one……..

benp1

Multitools haven’t really changed in a few years, there isn’t much innovation happening there

hence the recommendations being quite diverse and for tools that have been around for a while. I have 4, the 2 I would recommend at the Lezyne something and the Crank Brothers 19. Use the former for commuting and the latter on my MTB

The knog one I had didn’t have the right size allen key, and it was a bit too small to reach the right bolts

sirromj

Thanks for the offer Dezb didn’t see it in time though and still favouring the Hexus.

DezB
    Free Member

No worries. I’ve ordered one anyway. It’ll be here by Christmas! 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s a Blackburn one that comes with removable normal ball-ended Allen keys.  Very useful, just don’t lose the removable Allen keys.  It’s called the ‘wayside’.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Silca Venti

Murray

Fix It Sticks and a proper chainbreaker

drewd

I’ve a Hexus 2 that’s around 5 years old, and I’ve just bought the Hexus X as I broke the chain pin in the Hexus 2.

My Hexus 2 did go rusty, but it mostly cleaned up OK. I only bought the Hexus X as it would cost £6 for a replacement chain pin, and CRC had the Hexus X for £13. As the Hexus 2 is a little rusty I thought I’d try the newer version.

The Hexus 2 has longer allen keys, and the chassis feels a little more solid, whereas the Hexus X feels a bit cheaper and more plasticy. In use, besides the length of the allen keys they’re very similar. For a multi tool I’d be happy with either really, but if they were the same price I’d go for the Hexus 2.

The tools themselves feel good on both models, and the chain breakers are well regarded. I’d put me breaking the pin on the Hexus 2 down to user error.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a multitool for…’ is closed to new replies.