Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend a Gravel Stem
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

For a nice titanium build. already have a hope carbon post, so something that has a little wow factor but is not to in your face. No special colours, or springs or shock absorbers

budget upto £150.

TheGingerOne

When is the answer not Thomson?

IHN

Gravel stem, eh? *insert rolly eyes emoji here*

trailwagger
    Free Member

When is the answer not Thomson?

When you cant stop it from slipping apparently

fasthaggis

🙂

Aye,the Hope Gravel specific carbon posts are even more awesome.

big_scot_nanny

https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/cockpit/boxcar-stem/

I’ve got one, though I really don’t think it looks or functions any better than a cheap FSA one I got from wiggle 13 yrs ago for £8 🙂

trailwagger
    Free Member

my mistake, I should of typed “stem for gravel bike” instead of “gravel stem”

fasthaggis

Gravel bikes are almost old skool ATBs,so just get a 150mm T-Bone 🙂 🙂
    Bone steer

Joking apart,do you know what size you need?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Joking apart,do you know what size you need?

Probably 80mm,. I have a selection here to build with, then once im happy with length will order something shiny.

IHN

my mistake, I should of typed “stem for gravel bike” instead of “gravel stem”

You should have typed “what 80mm stem for someone who wants to spend at least £100 more than necessary” 😉

legometeorology
    Free Member

You should have typed “what 80mm stem for someone who wants to spend at least £100 more than necessary”

(like)

bruneep
    abingham

I don’t get the Thomson slipping point? I’ve had them on loads of bikes (road and off road in various degrees) and even after and absolute punishing they’ve never slipped.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I don’t get the Thomson slipping point? I’ve had them on loads of bikes

Another thread today about one slipping.

MrPottatoHead

Must be able to get a nice titanium stem for that budget to match the frame? I used to have on old Specialized one and it was lovely.

winston
    Free Member

Aren’t titanium stems a bit flexy? Prime do a nice carbon stem for around 80 quid..I’d have that and spend the remaining 60 quid on a bottle of whisky!

MrPottatoHead

Flexy sounds perfect for gravel though. Does anyone really notice a flexy stem?

hugo
    Free Member

Because of the ratio of amount of clamp to amount of tube being very high, carbon doesn’t give up you any real advantage in a stem over alloy.

Spend the cash elsewhere imo. Carbon bars? Booze?

kerley
    Free Member

If you want to spend £150 on a stem then I would go for titanium (if one can be had for that price) as suggested above as can look pretty good if matches frame, along with seat post.

Stem is a pretty irrelevant part of a road/gravel bike as long as it is the right drop and length so just pick the one you like the look of as that is as important as anything else.
    On the looks front I always have to match the stem and seat post so they have same logos!

didnthurt

Just look at the usual bling road components like TUNE. Or top end Ritchey, Easton or KCNC. Lots of nice stems on here.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/s/?keywords=Stem&page=5

I’m big fan of matching my stem, bars and seatpost though. Like rule 8.

The Rules

antigee

Buy the Decathlon one then use the rest of the money towards
    a Redshift flexi stem…keep in the tool box until realise your spec values appearance over practicality?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Gone for a Ritchey WCS 220 with matching WCS ergomax bars, thanks for the suggestions.

ransos
    Free Member

Shame, I think this would’ve worked a treat:

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a Gravel Stem’ is closed to new replies.