• This topic has 54 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Recommend a good drama series on iPlayer/All4
  • IHN

Looking for the next thing to watch, and we only have ‘normal’ telly (no Sky/Netflix/Prime or anything).

Things we’ve watched recently-ish and liked:

– Spiral
    – Snowfall
    – The Investigation
    – Showtrial
    – Guilt
    – Vigil (well, she liked, I thought it was ridiculous)
    – Borgen
    – It’s a Sin
    – A Very British Scandal

Any other decent drama series we should try?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Deutschland 83, 87 and (89ish)

By 89 you kinda want them all to die.

nickjb
    Free Member

Time

Baptiste (Might need to start from the beginning with The Missing, which was also good)

Hidden

All on iPlayer, I think

IHN

Yeah, loved the first series, watched the second series, tried but struggled to GAS by the third series, and gave up about halfway

IHN

Time

Yes, watched, brilliant

Baptiste (Might need to start from the beginning with The Missing, which was also good)

Yeah, this has been tempting me…

grum
    Free Member

The Serpent is v good.

Time seemed excellent but I couldn’t handle it – too grim!

kelvin

Deutschland 83, 87 and (89ish)

This!

Actually, just watch ’83, it’s great. Pretend the sequels never happened.

kelvin

Just started Outlaws. Feel like it’s going to be a gripping drama series… when I expected a sitcom.

Philby

When the Dust Settles (All4)
    All the Sins (All4)
    Detective Cain (All4)

multi21
    Free Member

Manhunt

chrispoffer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p0871pn8/in-my-skin

2 series of perfectly written and acted half hour episodes. Seem to be reviewed as a comedy drama but there’s more drama than you can shake a stick at. A bit harrowing and definitely moving. Strongly recommended.

jimmy

The North Water on iPlayer

oldtennisshoes

Baptiste is good
    Start with The Missing though
    Roadkill and A Very English Scandal are worth watching too.

appltn

Killing Eve is fun on iPlayer.

grum
    Free Member

Outlaws is ok-ish but not great by any means.

+1 for In My Skin – not the kind of thing I would normally watch but it’s very well written/acted.

nbt

Ay, as above Manhunt was great. I’m a fan of Shetland though not sure which of the previous series are still on there. Currently watchin The Long Call which has been on ITV recently

Checking the iPlayer “watch every episode” page, we’ve enjoyed these
    Happy Valley
    Killing Eve
    The Fall
    His Dark Materials
    Taboo
    Bloodlands
    Roadkill
    Strike
    Gentleman Jack
    Mrs Wilson
    The Trial of CHristine Keeler
    Sherlock
    Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes
    The Victim

Currently working through The Terror and The North Water. Black Narcissus promised a lot be didn;t really deliver

IHN

Killing Eve – done, started good, went a bit meh
    The Fall – done, great
    His Dark Materials – started, but too kiddy
    Taboo – done, great
    Gentleman Jack – done, good
    The Trial of CHristine Keeler – done, good
    Sherlock – done, started good, went a bit meh
    Life on Mars / Ashes to Ashes – done, started good, went a bit meh
    North Water – done, good, weird

Black Narcissus promised a lot be didn;t really deliver – Agreed

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

without giving a run down of every series I’ve watched in the past 5 years, Valley of Tears on All4 is excellent.

cinnamon_girl

Some All4 recommendations:

‘The Devil’s Throat’, a Bulgarian drama that I had to watch cos I’ve ski-ied on that mountain. Not as ‘gloomy’ as Scandi Noir can be but nevertheless a good watch.

‘The Adulterer’ from the Netherlands and probably more of a wimminz drama.

‘The Crimson Rivers’ was good although one series was enough.

‘Nordic Murders’ where it was a refreshing change to see an interesting older female as the main character. Set on an Baltic island.

On Channel 5 there’s ‘Dalgleish’ which was recently shown. Lead role is good but found it all rather flat.

There’s a new-ish Israeli series that’s next on my list, can’t recall the title though.

Am sure I’ve done more reviews in another telly thread, probably a few months back.

oldtennisshoes

On Channel 5 there’s ‘Dalgleish’ which was recently shown. Lead role is good but found it all rather flat.

Watched this first 2 episodes and it’s a bit ponderous. Trying to be a stylish Morse IMHO

finbar
    Free Member

How has Peaky Blinders not come up yet?

cinnamon_girl

Watched this first 2 episodes and it’s a bit ponderous. Trying to be a stylish Morse IMHO

Ponderous is a good word to describe it! Am old enough to remember Roy Marsden playing the part extremely well, there was some warmth to him unlike the current one. Have you watched ‘Endeavour’ ? First 4 series were excellent and prefer it to Morse.

kilo

+1 Hidden
    The Investigation
    Cardinal
    Twin
    Dublin Murders (ok but goes a bit weak at the end and procedurally a bit meh)

All iplayer

Justified on e4 is easy to waste hour’s watching
    Also The river on e4 and Traffik is a bit old but has a good cast and story.

IHN

How has Peaky Blinders not come up yet?

Tried it, couldn’t get past the dreadful Brummie accents

finbar
    Free Member

Tried it, couldn’t get past the dreadful Brummie accents

Understandable. I would say it was worth persevering, but on the other hand I never got past the first few episodes of Breaking Bad which I gather I really should have.

oldtennisshoes

Have you watched ‘Endeavour’ ? First 4 series were excellent and prefer it to Morse.

Yes, it’s good – I believe Season 7 is supposed to be one of the best.

kormoran
    Free Member

Hotel Beau Sejour is bloody awesome, best telly for years for me. Its on All 4 walter presents.

Also Ride Upon the Storm, danish drama series, Very very good also on walter presents

Professor T (original Belgian version) Leftfield crime drama that was addictive, again on Walter presents.

plus-one

Informer !! I’ve seen it twice it’s that good

joshvegas
    Free Member

Netflix free trial. All of narcos all of Schitts creek.

Hand back free trial because the rest is basically shit. Breaking bad is shit, actually most things with Brian Cranston are shit now o think about it. Other than Malcolm in the middle obviously.

Its on All 4 walter presents.

I still don’t know who Walter is but he definitely is up there in terms of being good at finding TV shows.

maccruiskeen

Cardinal

Something nicely still about Cardinal (I watched it during the peak torpor of lockdown number 1)  – but…. keep your eyes pealed. Theres one of the best one-take action sequences you’ll ever  see (or just as easily miss) on telly.

Most people who do the one-shot thing really want you to know it – Something like the getting coffee scene in Baby Driver you know is a one-take scene when its barely begun because they’re really styling it out. But the one in Cardinal you’re so caught up in the story you don’t notice until its over, if you even notice it at all – it amplifes the scene and the story fantastically without you realising that theres something really crafted going on.

duncancallum

Beck on iplayer

pondo

I’m quite enjoying The Terror on iPlayer. 🙂

vxaero

I’m enjoying The Announcer on All4. 1960s Paris, clothing and cars.

kimbers

The Terror is great

in a sort of similar vein theres The North Water, too

kelvin

Vienna Blood. First series was great… just been reminded by a trail for the second series.

Gachet
    Free Member

The Bridge on iPlayer, it’s available for another couple of months and all four seasons are prime scandi noir!

grum
    Free Member

Can’t believe the lack of love for The Serpent. Best thing I’ve seen for ages.

I thought Peaky Blinders started out well but I’m finding I CBA with all the weird government spy/Russian royal family secret plot stuff etc I’d rather just see retro gangsta shizzle.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at Industry on iPlayer.

Dunno how it was so low profile as it’s a very relevant, original, well-made drama about young bankers in a Goldman Sachs kind-of place. Quite raunchy and a brilliant soundtrack.

Also McMafia on iPlayer is very watchable but a bit more generic.

cinnamon_girl

New Swedish series on All4 called “Partisan”. Have only watched 2 episodes so far and it looks promising but would suggest that if you’re baffled after episode 1 then watch episode 2 in regard to the lead actor. Certainly intriguing and creepy. Complete series available.

Another thread worth reading:

What next scandi noir stuff?

kilo

Have a look at Industry on iPlayer

Dunno how it was so low profile

Because it was absolute, unmitigated crap?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.