Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend a decent electric shaver that leaves some stubble please
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

as title

MRanger156
    Free Member

Get a beard trimmer if you want stubble. I’ve been using one for years and they’re brilliant. Look on amazon for braun, remmington, philips etc.

nickf
    Free Member

They all leave irritatingly large amounts of stubble.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

IME they all do.

HTH

nbt

Surely the point of shaving is to get rid of stubble?

In any csae, with all the electrics I’ve ever tried, I find it leaves just enough for me to need a proper wet shave

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i do not want a smooth baby face hence wanting to leave some stubble

alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these for cutting my hair with.

with the length guard off, it does a good job of shaving and leaving a little bit of stubble… i don’t like the baby smooth effect either.

Dave

Lifer
    Free Member

I use a £15 Argos beard trimmer with the guide off to keep a bit of stubble, look about 12 if I clean shave.

molgrips
    Free Member

I looked at beard trimmers, they all left much more stubble than I wanted. Also cheap ones hurt like hell.

The only thing I found that was specifically geared at maintaining stubble was this (clicky):

Adjustable down to 0.5mm in 0.5mm steps and a totally comfortable and clean cut. Not even a hint of irritiation. If you take the comb off it goes even lower than 0.5mm (and lower than my hair clippers with the comb removed) but it’s not quite as comfortable then.

Can’t recommend it enough if you want to keep stubble rather than a beard. My face seems to need a bit of texture to it, I feel ridiculous with a clean shave now. Haven’t been clean shaven for about two years 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

this is a revelation, . . . no more looking at my clean shaven face and thinking “blimey I look better with stubble”!!

I want one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Only £20 too!

miketually
    Free Member

Either shave or grow a beard. Good grief.

😉

mefty
    Free Member

Hair clippers +1, I use to cut down a few days growth before shaving (to save the blade), to just get neat stubble and to cut my hair (what little remains of it).

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve had this for 18mths with no complaints:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SZ7460/ref=oss_product

There are other users on STW as well from what I remember and they gave it favourable reviews aswell when this question has come up previously. Also, check the amazon reviews.

(I don’t know if Amazon is the cheapest place btw)

oddjob
    Free Member

slight hijack here. I need some good new clippers. Any recommendations?

I don’t mind spending £30 – £40 or whatever if they are good, preferably cordless.

Cheers

molgrips
    Free Member

Doosuk’s thing is only 1.5mm though – too long for what I wanted. Re clippers, I have some Remmington ones where the internal battery has failed a bit and doesn’t really last one clip any more (after only a dozen or so clippings really). I reckon these are much of a muchness, get the cheapest one you can find with a ceramic cutter.

Green

If you can ignore the rather cr@p name these work really well –

i-Stubble

Go down to 0.4mm and have two charging modes, five minutes charge gives you enough for a shave, 90 minutes charge gives you 45 minutes use.

jenscallups
    Free Member

I’ve had this for 18mths with no complaints:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000SZ7460/ref=oss_product-[url=http://www.best-electric-shaver.org/]Best-Electric-Shaver[/url]

There are other users on STW as well from what I remember and they gave it favourable reviews aswell when this question has come up previously. Also, check the amazon reviews.

(I don’t know if Amazon is the cheapest place btw)

Amazon is usually one of the cheapest places, but personally I’d rather just go to Walmart or something. There’s a high defect rate on shavers, so it’s best to have a local place you can return them for swap.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I use a pair of hair clippers with the gaurd off, have had them for years. I dont like being clean shaven as I look 15. I had some beard trimmer things but found clippers much better, you can unscrew and sharpen them and oil the blade too, then if your feeling adventurous give yourself a crew cut.

donsimon
    Free Member

but personally I’d rather just go to Walmart or something. There’s a high defect rate on shavers, so it’s best to have a local place you can return them for swap.

Not from round here, are you? 😉

mrlugz
    Free Member

+1 on the istubble. crap name, good product.

Tescos have them half price.

istubble@tesco

Wouldnt pay full whack, but been using mine for a few months now and I like it.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Philips telescopic clippers are awesome. I’ve been using them on my face and beard for over a year now. Without combs seem to be a good short stubble length and the longest is pretty long for head (or superbeard) hair. Rechargeable which is more convenient.

QC5070 now £19.99 from Argos (was £30).

alfabus
    Free Member

jenscallups – Member

Amazon is usually one of the cheapest places, but personally I’d rather just go to Walmart or something. There’s a high defect rate on shavers, so it’s best to have a local place you can return them for swap.

Spammers puzzle me… do people out there actually get paid to hunt around for forum posts that are vaguely related to their business so they can register and post a thinly veiled recommendation.

That one doesn’t even link to anything, it is just a suggestion that you buy something from the supermarket rather than online – hardly a cutting edge bit of guerilla marketing!

Dave

monksie
    Free Member

To prempt your next but obvious enquiry, a sock down the front of your shorts will fill it out but I’d use micropore to keep it in place. A banana guard would be mighty impressive at first glance but ridiculous after that.
    Did you really ask on the world wide web “What electric shaver to make me look tough and stubbly and manly” or something similar and have full grown men offer you sincere recommendations?
    This is a mint thread 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a decent electric shaver that leaves some stubble please’ is closed to new replies.