Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend a box set for my folks
  • IHN

Looking for a box set for a pressie for my folks. Ideally something that will show off my dad’s new telly and Blu-Ray player that he’s so proud of, but nothing too sweary or flash-bang-whallopy ‘cos my mum won’t like it.

They’ve been through Mad Men and The West Wing and loved them, if that’s any help. Oh, and they’re in their late 60s/70s, so not exactly the target demographic for The Inbetweeners 🙂

I’m thinking maybe The Killing?

Jamie
    Free Member

The Killing is very dark, in both lighting and tone, so while excellent it may not bring out the wonders of HD viewing.

jon1973
    Free Member

Something like the Frozen Planet will show off all the new TV, probably a much higher re-watch value as well. It’s the sort of thing that everyone likes, rather than trying to second guess what people are in to.

Cougar

The Wire is well regarded.

Frozen Planet for HD goodness?

IHN

The Wire is FAR too sweary for my mum.

They’ve watched Frozen Planet (in HD), not the kind of thing they’d watch again I don’t think.

rather than trying to second guess what people are in to

I know the kind of thing that they like (well scripted, well acted BBC2/BBC4 type stuff), I just can’t think of anything that matches it 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

What about that Madmen rippoff which was on BBC?

Going back through the archives a little bit The State Within was very good. Not really a boxset though, as only 7 episodes.

jon1973
    Free Member

How about Life on Mars then, it’s old so they may have seen it before, but it’s always a good one to have in your collection.

IHN

Ooh, forgot about The State Within, I really enjoyed that.

They watched The Hour and Life On Mars. In fact, they’ve watched all of the things that I can think of that I think they’d like, if you know what I mean. Grr!

toys19
    Free Member

Just getting into Breaking Bad excellent, good juxtapostion of the old vs young. Has won umpteen awards..

Jamie
    Free Member

If The Wire is too sweary for his mum, I think Breaking Bad, while excellent, will also be off the table.

It’s the reason I have not suggested most of my fav shows, like Dexter, Boardwalk Empire, Oz, The Wire, SOA etc 8)

Jamie
    Free Member

What about the complete boxset of Wire in the Blood for a tenner? Mum’s love Robson Greene, and it wasn’t that bad if I remember right….if a little bloody.

toys19
    Free Member

Yah its not too sweary..

vorlich
    Free Member

What about Lovejoy, absolutely does not have any swearing in it. None at all. 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

None at all.

He’s right. The name Al Swearengen, is meant to be ironic.

morgs
    Free Member

not reading all the posts so apologies if its a duplicate:

Lie to Me is amazing and gets you thinking…

but I’ve just finished watching Band of Brothers. Emotive to the high and an excellent watch. Not sure if its available on blu ray yet, but well worth it if they haven’t seen it. First time i wept infront of the missus watching the end of it hat was 🙄

wait4me

I’m really enjoying the Justified box set at the moment. My dad got me into Elmore Leonard and he fits your folks demographic. Top Americana IMO, wise-cracking, good looking po-lice-man and an assorted gang of redneck grotesques. Don’t think there’s a lot of swearing, but I f#%*ing @#%^ and **#* all day long so I may have missed it.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

2nd Band of Brothers. Finished it two nights ago. Amazing.

(just out on blu-ray also)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Go retro and get them the original Life in Earth.

But I do agree with Band of Brothers – a wonderful series and the interviews with the vets (on which this true story is based) are very moving.

peajay

Don’t know about showing what the telly can do, but “Rescue Me” and “Southland” are well worth a watch,
    PJ.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend a box set for my folks’ is closed to new replies.