Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recommed me a 160mm fork.
  • jeb

Hello

I will build a Pivot mach 6 frame up and need a fork.

Pivot says it need a 44 offset fork
    160mm
    27.5 size

Would like it to be smooth over small stuff…
    Would be nice if it is easy to change oil on and maintain …
    Also if i could lower the travel to 150mm
    any deals around?

Anyone who can explain all that boost standards…?, and point me to the right fork… i have wheeler yet.

Thanks !

joebristol

Can’t comment on the offset – you’ll need to check any forks you look at buying.

The 2 most common options at that length if you want burlyness as well as smooth suspension are the Rockshox Lyrik and Gox 36. RockShox Pike can also do 169mm travel and is a little lighter whilst still fairly stiff.

After that there are loads of new fork brands on the market – Marzocchi Bomber Z1 is back (lower end Fox 36 internals effectively), X Fusion Sweep, DVO,Manitou Mattock, MRP Ribbon etc etc. There aren’t really any bad forks from the main brands these days if you’re at the upper end of their ranges

martinhutch

Noticed a reasonable deal on DVO diamonds. 130-170 adjustable, I believe, although you might need to confirm the exact spec with the retailer.

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1918747?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MTc1NTQsInBhZ2UiOjEsInBhZ2VTaXplIjoyLCJwb3MiOjF9

timbog160

I have both Lyrik RC2s and Cane Creek Helm Airs – they’re both excellent forks but the Lyriks are probably better over small stuff. The Helms are good but I find they need to be ridden energetically to get the best out of them. The Helms are easier to adjust the travel and progression on though.

Lyriks need a new air shaft to adjust the travel (circa £40 or get 2nd off eBay) and it is a little more involved to do.

Boost simply means it has a 110mm axle width rather than 100mm

jeb

Thanks so far !

probaly leanning towards the Lyrik som far. must look at the old one and the new
    2020 there has an improved charger 2.1 damper…

found out that rockshox don’t do a 44 mm offset, so i will look for a 42 or 46 mm, but if you know anything about that, let me know

titusrider
    Free Member

Fox 36 grip2 are incredible but very expensive. Really coil like in the small bump sensitivity and limited (but just enough) ramp up at the end. I’ve been very impressed.
    Stiffness also very good, with carbon wheels so it’s hard to say it’s all fork but they hold a line over all sorts of off camber crap. The setup guide is great as there are so many options, every time I’ve moved from the recommendations it’s felt worse! (Re reading your post I’m not sure I’d trust myself servicing them but maybe that’s just me!)

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Lyrik is probably the best fork overall, especially given you can pick it up for loads less than the RRP (which is already lower than a decent spec Fox 36).

JP

Akers

I have a Mach 6, upgraded the stock 160mm Fox 36 to 170mm this year. Feels better on proper steep technical stuff than before, doesn’t seem to have affected the ride in any negative way. Worth having a think about.

dhrider
    Free Member

46mm offset is the “standard” at the moment for 27.5” wheels, 51mm is the “standard” for 29” wheels.

If Pivot are saying 44mm, they’ll have designed their bike around that offset. You’ll find in the next 12months a lot more brands will be moving to 44mm for both wheel sizes and it will end up offered by RockShox too I’m sure.

If I had to choose between 42mm and 46mm, I’d go 46mm.

I’ve rode short offset forks on frames not designed for them and it made the steering quite twitchy.

chakaping
    Free Member

The lyrik is awesome now it has adjustable high speed compression.

Was decent before, though the debonair air shaft is important to have if getting a pre 2019 fork.

Can be retro fitted.

Anyway, I’d get a lyrik.

jeb

Ahhhhh thanks mate … i finally understood the offset-myth!

if you happened to know a good deal on the lyrik……… let me know…

but found this one :

https://www.bike24.com/p2329979.html?q=lyrik+

mboy
    Free Member

Fox 36 Factory GRIP2 is just awesome… Yes it’s all the money, but a Lyrik just can’t hold a candle to the Fox’s performance!

MRP Ribbon is also a great fork too, well worth a punt if you get a good deal on one.

joebristol

That’s about the top spec Lyrik I think you can get that you’ve linked.
    Sounds an ok price with that considered.

alpin
    Free Member

Find RS Lyrik Tipp beb Moore responsive/active on small bumps, but the Fox 36 deals with bigger and repeated his much better.

Depends what you ride…. Little Champery type stuff, 36. More “flow”type stuff with fewer big hits, Lyrik.

honourablegeorge

R2-bike.com are cheapest for Lyrik, they were 25 Euro less than Bike24 when I Las checked

cakeandcheese

Stif had a box of new 27.5″ Fox 36’s for sale at the Peaty Bike Jumble today for £390. I didn’t look at the spec, but noticed the 29″ performance elites (FIT4) were £480.

Might be worth giving them a call, see if they have any left and what they are?

jeb

thanks guys i will make some phone calls….

jeb

hmmmmm ……………

With offset 42mm … as recommended for Pivot mach 6…

https://www.bike24.com/p2329991.html?q=lyrik+ultimate

i should probably hit the buy button…. 🙂

jeb

oh it was offset 46 mm that was recommended…!

orangespyderman

Cane Creek Helm Coil. Got one and it’s lurvely.

chiefgrooveguru

“I’ve rode short offset forks on frames not designed for them and it made the steering quite twitchy.”

I put 42mm offset Lyrik 160s oh my bike that was designed for 51mm offset 150mm travel forks – it made the steering significantly slower and calmer.

chakaping
    Free Member
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recommed me a 160mm fork.’ is closed to new replies.