Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Recomendations for new 5" travel bike please
  • Alex

Pace 405. Great bike. Stiff, pretty light, much fun 🙂

VanHalen

i recon an old trance is hte way forward (unless someone else builds a nice 4" strong bike for jumpy in the woods fun that doesnt weigh a tonne)

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

think I will go with an orange or the Helius in the end for next bike guys
    thanks for the help 😛
    did a google search and not so sure about the reliability of the Chumbas?
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2496/3992696097_d662de53ba.jpg

GaryLake
    Free Member

Orange Five, Orange ST4, Marin Mount Vision. I own a Five and spent a fair amount of time on the ST4 and MV (I've got the 2010 ST4 this W/E actually, can't wait to try it with the new backend)

The Five is the most versatile and hardest hitting (and quite light for what it is). The ST4 is the outright fastest, total singletrack missile, the only bike that's ever frightened me actually (in a good way). The MV is less nimble and fast as the ST4, not as much of a mentalist as the Five. But it's lighter than a Five (only a pound though) and pretty much as stiff.

si-wilson
    Free Member

The XCL in that image was a 2004 frame. The XCL frames (like the one in that image) have a very low failure rate, (i think only a handfull have ever broken) and if you dig hard enough you will find broken 5's http://brightonmtb.org/2009/05/13/bad-luck-or/

Good shout on the Nicolai though, they are really nice frames.

carbon337
    Free Member

Si – that link is a 9yr old patriot " Mr Donne’s 9 year old Orange Patriot." and Orange them offered him a 30% discount after 9 years against a new frame.

If that was me i'd be well chuffed.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I'm so tempted by the cumba (vf2). I've got a zesty on demo next weekend and i hear the vf2 is very similar (geometry).

Just a problem getting a demo i suppose as you're miles away from me (I'm in brizzle)

llamafarmer
    Free Member

Giggidy

chakaping
    Free Member

This month's WMB just came through my door and has a grouptest of 5in bikes.

The Trek Fuel EX wins, but probably isn't niche enough for people here?

Rocketdog36
    Free Member

Yes I suppose you can find pictures of most models of broken bikes
    at least it was just the rear end
    http://www.smbf.com.sg/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15376&sid=3b792bc3be2d04baacb56b390805cb3c
    just a little weary of the carbon strengths with point impacts like rocks etc..
    many thanks again guys 😛

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i'm considering a knolly endorphin or giant trance

coogan
    Free Member

lobby it has been a while since you bought a new bike right enough, I've been worried about you 😀

mboy
    Free Member

cough* Maverick Durance *cough

😉

mboy
    Free Member

i have a hankering for a mid travel bike for ukbikeskills work.
    cant make my mind up still

LOL

Is there a mid travel full sus bike strong enough? 😉

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

motivation for the race season coogan 8)

coogan
    Free Member

Bosh!

mikey74
    Free Member

Jedi: Have a look at the Banshee Rune: I use mind for everything, including Whistler bike park last year and general UK xc duties.

Rocketdog: Have a look at the Banshee Pyre also.

Damn, now I sound like a Banshee fanboy….doh!!

PeteG55
    Free Member

Surely for Jedi the Orange Blood makes most sense? Designed to take a bit of a beating.
    Not sure what to suggest to the OP, most of the obvious ones are already up. I will +1 for the Santa Cruz Heckler though. I've got an '06 and its a very underated bike. Strong enough to put up some proper abuse and can be built light enough for all day riding.

Intense-Pilot

Intense 55 if you can get hold of one, or a Tracer. Climbs brilliantly, ploughs through mud like no other, and descends like a dream. Worth the investment and less mainstream than Orange 5s or Santra Cruz Blurs.

rob2
    Free Member

hemlock. I've got one with the new stays and its mental, far more capable than the rider.

best with 140mm or 150mm forks

jedi

maverickboy- my ukbikeskills stuff is mostly singletrack stuff and some jumps and drops

Big-Chris
    Free Member

The truth of the matter is that all the bikes recommended here are high end bits of kit which will all perform well. If you're spending that much money, you have to fall in love with it for the way it looks and/or the engineering excellence. Whether or not it's a long term relationship only time will tell. I used to love the look of my Meta, but got fed up with her bad habit of chucking me off! My Ventana's handling is very noticably better for me, but I'd need a year on it to give a definitive report.

I posted a similar question to yours about 3 months ago & got similar responses. It gave me a focus for researching names I might not have read about in the mags (like Chumba, Ventana & Nicolai). I ended up buying a Ventana el Ciclon partly because a nearly new one came up on STW at the right price. I can highly recommend one. It's beautifully built, looks just how I want a bike to look (ie. straight tubes & classy without being flash), weighs 2.5 lb less than my old Meta & it rides like a dream.
    All I can say is that as a 16 stone rider, I've never ridden a stiffer, more responsive bike, but I've not ridden any of the others to compare to.

Radioman

I really like the look of the new Cove "G Spot" bike due out this year. Its 6 in travel. I may consider swapping my old faithful Spec SX Trail for one. I think it will come with either coil or air shock options. http://www.covebike.com/bikes/gspot.html

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Recomendations for new 5" travel bike please’ is closed to new replies.