Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • recomend me some road tyres please
  • singletrackmind

I need some new tyres and dont know anything about road tyres.
    Currently running split and bulging Conti GP 3000 , so they have to go.
    Do they have to be wire bead due to the high pressures, as getting the contis on and off is impossible without levers.?
    Dont want too narrow or too lightweight , think comfort and puncture resistance . no i dont want to run ST High rollers UST thanks.

chojin
    Free Member

Had no issues with conti gatorskins. Nice and puncture resistant, and appear to roll/grip nicely.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Gatorskins do not roll nicely or grip. I’m using Vittoria Diamante Pro Radiales, they’re are as good as their 320 tpi cotton brethren, but without being quite so expensive. Not much in the way of puncture resistance though, so maybe gp4000s?

singletrackmind

Whats a clincher?
    I know what a tub or tubular is .

singletrackmind

OK looked on Sheldon Brown and now know what a clincher is .

stufive
    Free Member
    neilm
    Free Member

I like Michelin Pro 4’s.

I have done a lot of miles on mine; they grip in all conditions, roll well and seem pretty tough, plus there are deals all over the place for them.

radoggair
    Free Member

and try to get the limited or race pro4’s for the extra 4m per minute extra rolling power

Andy

Jeez not you as well now Rob 🙄

😉

jet26
    Free Member

GP4000s are a good compromise between fast rolling, grip and wear.

Schwalbe ultremo v fast and v grippy but cut up easily on bad surfaces and are far from hard wearing.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

[Dont want too narrow or too lightweight , think comfort and puncture resistance .]

Gotta be 25mm gatorskins hasn’t it?

globalti
    Free Member

Michelin Pro 3s, fast, smooth and really good with Conti lightweight butyl inners.

bigG
    Free Member

Michelin Krylion Carbon, light fast grippy good wearing.

Best road tyre I’ve ever used

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Conti Grand Prix, I have the 24mm ones and they are great tyres. Cheap too.

Kryton57

Michelin Krylion Carbon, light fast grippy good wearing.

+1

Unfortunately in bought some schwalbe Ultremo ZX to replace them and have heard nothing but bad news about the schwalbes since. I’m putting off changing from the Michelin but is soon going to become inevitable….

mboy
    Free Member

Schwalbe Durano’s in 25mm width sound exactly what you’re after. Puncture protection, grippy, yet still fast and reasonably lightweight (in the folding bead version at least). Been running these tyres for 4 months now, not had a single moment on them, unlike plenty of others I’ve tried.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Vittoria Open Paves are very comfy and fast rolling.

muddy@rseguy

Schwalbe Duranos: Grippy, fast rolling, durable and puncture resistant unless you run across large pieces of flint hidden in puddles…

And for that piece of sage advice Rob, I would like some more of your damn fine Russian Winter imperial stout please 8)

MoreCashThanDash

Michelin Krylion Carbons now superceded by the Pro 4 Endurance (I think) – anyway, that’s what I’m using now Krylions no longer available

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have Duranos and am surprised how quickly the rear has started to wear at 300 miles. Also had my first puncture through the carcass, so not that great a puncture protection, but they are very cheap for what they are.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I used to really rate the Krylion Carbon but they weren’t available for some time (I think Michelin moved production?) so moved to Vittoria Rubino Pro III and found them to be puncture resistant, light and pretty long lasting. I’ve recently put some Michelin Pro 4 Service Corse on the posh bike and they’re fast, comfy and seem ok for puncture resistance (shhh!) though I’m not sure they’ll last too long.

I have to say, I’m impressed with the 28c Conti 4 Seasons I’m running on the Tripster. Fast, very lightweight for what they are and robust too – they get everything thrown at them and hold up very well. Remarkably light for their capability.

stucol
    Free Member

I get about 2000 miles out of my Specalized All Condition Armadillos.

They grip very well and i have NEVER had a puncture in 4 pairs of them. And that’s with 15st of me on them.

I ride on some fairly crappy Scottish roads with no fear of being let down (pardon the pun).

I did kill a front one clattering a pothole, it developed a “snake” in the carcass straight afterwards but that’s not really a critisism of the tyre.

You can get bubbles under the tread when they are getting worn. This is due to water de-laminating the tread away from the anti-puncture belt. You only notice this on visual inspection, you can’t feel it when riding (maybe on Majorca you could but not around Glasgow !)

My new road bike will be having them fitted from the word go. An excellent tough tyre.

simondbarnes

Spesh All Condition Armadillos ride like you’ve just wrapped your rims in lead. They are reliable though, ran them on my fixie for 4 years with no issues.

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp on my Summer bike. Reasonably light, fast, very grippy and pretty decent puncture protection. Slightly prefer these to the GP4000s I used previously.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Conti gatorskins

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘recomend me some road tyres please’ is closed to new replies.