Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recomend me a SQ T BB for Middleburn Cranks.
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

Been using a Shimano UN54 with RS7’s on my SS for over a year now with no problems, but on a recent ride, the LH crank came a little loose. Ever since then, I have a bit of play in the taper. Took it to my LBS who says the crank still has plenty of life left and suggested that it might in fact be the BB. We tried the crank on a Hope Square Taper and it sat lovely (unfortunately the Hope BB has Italian Cups – and Hope dont make spares for ST any more)

As its a fine Ti frame I dont mind getting a top BB like a Phill Wood or even a Royce, but I want to know theyll fit.

Any advice?

Stoner
    Free Member

Id probably get a new UN54. About £15 and as you have proved will last for ages (as long as you dont damange the tapers by riding it when the cranks have loosened).

UN72 are the nuts for VFM but no longer made, occasionally find them as NOS sometimes.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’m using a Royce with my Uno on my SS without problems, make sure you follow the Royce fitting instructions.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Sorry, didnt mention. Its a new UN54 in there, and Ive got a couple spare. What happens is that the crank just sits all the way down the taper, whereas on the Hope that we tried, it just seemed a ‘precision’ fit.

Tried calling Middleburn too to see what they recommend but its an answer machine until next Monday.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah. Then as you say, maybe a very slightly different taper profile will work. It ought to work fine with the shimano one unless you have very slightly distorted the crank taper hole.

bonzodog
    Free Member

“unless you have very slightly distorted the crank taper hole”

Thats what I thought Id done to be honest, and was just about to buy another set of cranks from RCJ Extreme (£76 – bargain), but as I say, my LBS reckons I dont need to.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Oops I meant RJC Extreme

http://www.rjcx-treme.co.uk/index.html

cy

SKF would be worth a try. Their ISIS one’s are great.

Ambrose

Royce. And as said above, follow the fitting instructions. Mine creaked for a couple of rides and needed re-torquing. After that all was fine and dandy.

Ambrose

Ambrose

Oh crap, try here…

Nicolai Helius cranks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a SQ T BB for Middleburn Cranks.’ is closed to new replies.