Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • recomend me a great whisky please !
  • peterich
    Free Member

Hi all please can you recommend me some whisky. I’m completely new to this drink I have tried talisker and maybe arberlor from speyside and liked both. I’m wondering if these single malts are nice are there particular others that I should consider (maybe at a cheaper price) that ill still like. Also maybe something I might be able to purchase from Asda etc
    Thanks in advance for the advice

swavis

Mortlach 16 or Balvenie Port Wood 21, yum yum

Port Wood is a bit pricey and I’ve found the Balvenie 14yo Caribbean cask an acceptable alternative 😉

winch
    Free Member

What do you enjoy about it, do you like it rich and peaty or clean and almost medicinal?

portydave
    Free Member

Asda have a good deal on old pultney just now. Very nice and good for ‘beginners’!

Enjoy…..

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Bunnaharbhain.

grim168
    Free Member

try ’em all. It’s the only way 😀

mt
    Free Member

The Macallum. The Singleton. Or a well priced but very nice Glengoyne 10 yrs. You have loads of choice go for it.

soops
    Free Member

Littlemill 12 year old. Fantastic 😀

dannybgoode

Laphroig – Triple Wood
    Laphroig – Quarter Cask
    Compass Box – Spice Tree

sparksmcguff

Lagavulin Special Reserve? But there are better… as Grim says, try them all it’s the only way!

bellefied
    Free Member

glenmorangie

twoniner
    Free Member

Penderyn.

allthegear
    Free Member

For soop’s benefit…

and yes, it is absolutely amazing!!! 🙂

Rachel

dannybgoode

The earlier releases of Penderyn were very nice. The later bottlings are not so nice for some reason…

allthegear
    Free Member

Penderyn has become unreliable, that’s for sure…

bigG
    Free Member

do yourself a favour and buy this, it will change your life. Don’t waste your time on other nonsense. Caol Ila whisky of champions.

trailhound
    Free Member

A nice 25year old Tomatin always does it for me

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Chivas regal

Daffy

17 year old Hibiki is the only way to go.

CHB

Chivas Regal or Highland Park are good safe choices

Cougar

Aside from bigG’s wiseness, try:

http://www.masterofmalt.com/samples/

BlindMelon
    Free Member

If you like Talisker I’d suggest trying something like Oban or Highland Park from a supermarket range. If you want to spend a wee bit more and can access them then Scapa 16, Glengoyne 18 or my favourite Old Pulteney 21 is worth a taste.

andycs

Glenlivet 18, Singleton, Highland Park, Lagavulin.

peterich
    Free Member

thanks for the advice
    asda is my local so I see they have old pultney and glenlivet 18 on offer also I like the sound of arberlour 10 as well ive been reading on the mastersofmalt site
    ill see what in stock and report back
    thanks again

Neil-F
    Free Member

Bunnaharbhain, Glenfiddich 12yo or Glenmorangie.
    Aaaahhhhhh……. 😀

iain65
    Free Member

Ardbeg is worth a go, really nice, The taste seems to adapt to your mood – or it does for me 🙂

Ps my uncle designed the still at Talisker ……

Iain

inbred853

Have a look here, lots of choice, unchilled, uncoloured and cask strength. Just bought a bottle of the cask strength Auchentoshan for my mate and have had several of their own bottlings. Just missed getting a bottle of thier Old Pulteney cask strength, however will just have to drink my 2nd Release Isabella Fortuna WK499 instead!
    Might be a little biased there as the distillery is on the other side of the harbour from my parents house and I have poured my own bottle from the cask in the past.

yunki
    Free Member

Clynelish is available fairly cheaply and is as nice of a tipple as I’ve tasted..

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve reported everyone suggesting anything starting with ‘Glen’.

Oban has always been my favourite.

EhWhoMe

ive had a few different varieties of The Dalmore and theres all flippin gorgeous..try one of em there a few

EhWhoMe

oh and the bottle is great too 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yamazaki 10

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Yamazaki 10<

Aye but he asked for a great whisky…

Assuming the OP meant Scotch Whisky another vote here for Caol Isla.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Glengoyne– is only available as an export whisky–got to be one of the best i have ever tasted– but thats subjectivism for ya !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Never assume…. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Another vote for Laphroaig, here. Smoky and delicious. Don’t forget a splash of H2O, whatever you pick.

colournoise

Laphroaig.
    Caol Ila.

(other versions of this are available – YMMV)

craigxxl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get hung up on it been a single malt there are some great blends out there too such Black Bush, Tom O’Shanter and Blue Label. As some on once told me why just have the Oboe when you can have the full orchestra.

Single malts I would recommend are Bushmills 16 year old, Glenlivet, Aberlour, Edradour various cask also un-chilled filtered and Bruichladich.

Masters of Malt will do you some taster samples based on what you’ve enjoyed and through their experience what you would like. They will throw in a wild card too

drrms
    Free Member

Well I set myself a task 30 years ago to do just what you want to do – find the best whisky in the world(i.e. Scotland). Not succeeded yet, Oh well looks like I will have to keep trying. I might even have to taste everything available, maybe more than once.

Cougar

As some on once told me why just have the Oboe when you can have the full orchestra.

Would you rather have Napalm Death or a guitar solo?

Well I set myself a task 30 years ago to do just what you want to do – find the best whisky in the world

I don’t know about “best whisky in the world”, but the best whisky in terms of “bang for your buck” is unequivocally Benromach Organic. There might well be better whiskies in the world, but at that price point it’s utterly unbeatable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘recomend me a great whisky please !’ is closed to new replies.