• This topic has 33 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Recomend me a fork..
  • bsims
    Free Member

To go in a BFe 275 with 26inch wheels.

At present I have a Fox 32 100mm which is QR. It vibrates under braking and I can feel the flex so I would like to upgrade to a 650b fork so in future I can enlarge the wheels accordingly.

MartynS

MRP stage.

26/27.5 compatible.

Pick the travel you need.

I love mine!!!

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks, I didn’t even think about that route, I was just looking at 650b forks. Don’t X fusion do some 26/27.5 forks?

I will investigate the MRPs

Alpha1653

Not sure if x fusion claim their forks are 650/26 interchangeable but ive got a set of 2016 Slant HLR designed for 26 but i know i can put a 650 minion in there with loads of clearance and no issues at full compression. At 160mm theyre the same axle to crown as 650b Pikes at 150mm. Only difference is the offset, if you care about that sort of thing.

bsims
    Free Member

My only concern is a bit of future proofing. There may come a time when I can’t get good quality 26inch rims. Therefore, I thought I would put the cost of a few services on the Fox 32s towards some new forks. If the forks will take 650b wheels then they work for me.

The Fox 32s won’t fit a 650b highroller 2.3 or Conti TK 2.4 without rubbing. I havent tried anything else. TBH though the forks are the weak point so I am not keen on keeping them.

Alpha1653

To be honest, if the frame’s designed for a 650b fork then I’d stick with that. If you run the frame with 26 wheels and a 650b fork, then bb will be lower but angles remain the same. If you try to run a 26inch fork in a 650 frame the bb will be lower because if the wheels (as before) but the head angle will increase and the bb will drop further.

Whatever you get, it’ll be night and day over your QR Fox 32. Just be aware that the vast majority of forks now use through axles (not QR) so you may have to change your front wheel.

bsims
    Free Member

Hi Alpha 1653,

Thanks for your reply. The Fox is a 26inch fork which is partly why I am thinking of replacing it along with the other points above. The wheels have Pro 2 evos in.

bsims
    Free Member

I don’t think i explained this very well. I had a trek 4 series which I upgraded when bits broke ( Fox 32 and better wheels). The Bfe frame was an upgrade replacement for that Trek frame. The BFe shows up the limitations of the Fox 32. The wheels are good and sturdy.

I dont want to replace the wheels yet, but have one eye on the future because i dont want to find at some point that i have to upgrade wheels and forks in one go. I think changing the fork now and using a 650b fork with 26 inch wheels is the best option.

If i can’t get good 26 inch rims in future (should they break etc) i will only have to get the wheels rebuilt, as i would already have a fork that will fit them.

Alpha1653

You probably dont need to upgrade the wheels then – just get a bolt through axle for the Pro2s. It will open up many more options for forks for you and be noticeably stiffer.

If you want to future proof your purchase, get a 650b fork the correct length for the BFe with a bolt theough axle and upgrade the Pro2s.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If you are happy to buy second hand then there have been a few pairs of reasonably priced pikes and 34’s on here the last few days. Provided you dont buy an earlier iteration CTD 34 then they are a pretty good fork and will be noticeably stiffer than a 32.

nixie

If I were you I’d get a 650b fork that you fancy. Then keep an eye out in the classifieds for wheels. I’d bet you can buy a pro 2 evo or pro 4 hub set of 650b wheels and sell your 26″ set for very little difference in cost. Or if your handy with the tools rerim your hubs next time your tyres are worn out.

momo
    martinhutch

Just get a 650b fork and run it with 26 wheels for now. You’re already mucking around with the geometry, and for a Bfe you’d probably want a longer fork which will change things around again.

Those Manitous are nice, and you might pick up a pair of Xfusion Sweep RL2s dirt cheap if you keep your eyes peeled. They would be perfect for a BFe dropped to 120 or 140.

woodster

I’d get the Mattocs, they even used to be cross compatible and you could remove a lower spacer for 10mm more travel if using 26″ wheels. Brilliant forks at a fantastic price too.

ajantom

Yup, the Manitous are good forks. Same internal tech as their Dorado DH forks.

I’ve got some Magnum Pros, which are basically the same but boost spacing.

A few comments on line about needing to check the semi-bath oil on new ones, as they can come a bit low. I pulled the lowers off mine, checked and greased seals, and added oil. 10 minute job with only 2 tools needed.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, there are a few confirming what i was thinking and some new ideas to consider.

kayla1
    Free Member

There are some new 26″ (but take 650B) X Fusion Vengeance coils (36mm) on ebay from Australia for just over £200 posted. I had Suntour Durolux (35mm) and Auron (34mm) on my BFe as well. The Aurons are very good but I prefer 20mm axles so bought the Vengeance coils. I think the only difference between the new X Fusion Metric 650B forks and the ‘old’ 26″ Vengeance is the offset on the crown, the lowers are the same. I fitted an x-firm spring as the standard medium was too soft for me (72kg). 26″ wheels in a 650B frame here too.

I’ve got my Suntour Aurons spare here if you’re interested.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for the Mattoc’s. I really rate mine and they’re a bargain with good quality damping. The all black ones look than the earlier versions too.

bsims
    Free Member

kayla1,

Thanks for that , I may take up your offer. Don’t refuse another offer in the meantime though.

I will let everyone know my decission in due course. Thanks all.

vincienup
    Free Member

Fox 32’s are not the most obvious choice for a hardcore hardtail like a BFe but I can see how you’ve got here.

Personally I’d look at forks with bigger stanchions.  What’s the budget?  I’m pleased with Yaris on my Solaris.  I’ve got another set for an upcoming Soul with Pikes on an older Soul.  My thinking is that the Yari is definitely strong enough and cheap.  If the damper ends up feeling crude I’ve got a range of bolt in options to improve the fork and still keep it below Pike money but if I decide I don’t need the upgrades then even better.

if money was no object, I’d look at a DVO Sapphire maybe having just been teased by some reviews. XF are an option that I know Cotic think highly of but I know basically nothing about.

How much are you looking to spend?

bsims
    Free Member

vincienup – sorry for the delay in response, I couldn’t find the thread.

The BFe frame was my ‘Gnarpoon’ which I replaced with a small gen 5 BFe. The trek 4 series I owned had been upgraded gradually as my gereral purpose/ xc type bike. It was origionally my only bike so I invested in it but found I had developed my skills beyond its capabilities so i bught a BFe. When i got the Gen 5 frame i decided that it was a shame to not use it and as it was a medium I thought i would swap everything off the Trek. It is much better for the duties it has – Beer runs to the supermarket, rides with family and trail duties when on holiday –  however it really shows up how noodly the fox fork is especially when doing slower technical riding like over sea weed covered rocks. I like to think of it as a heavy XC bike and I’m not sure i will ever be too capable for it.  I think you are right about a 34mm stancion. I don’t want to spend a fortune but eqaully i want an upgrade from the float 32s.

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

I got one of those XF Vengeance forks from Oz – certainly worth more than the £230 they cost me, they arrived promptly and the sellers were very helpful. Set to 170 but can be changed to 160 or 140. They’re 20mm x 110mm thru tho

bsims
    Free Member

thanks

mindmap3
    Free Member

I think you are right about a 34mm stancion. I don’t want to spend a fortune but eqaully i want an upgrade from the float 32s.

Depending on your preference for boost / none boost and 15mm or 20mm thru axle, I think the Mattocs from CRC are bloody good value for money and work really well too. I’m on my second pair and think that they’re a big improvement on my 350 NCR’s and Yari’s in terms of damping quality and feel (the new seals have reduced the friction massively). Currently £330 and if you’re a member of British Cycling you can get a further 10% off.

bsims
    Free Member

I think non boost as inteneded when the frame was created but , I could go either way, the hubs will convert to any format

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Anything will be an upgrade over a Float 32. Probably the most flexi fork ever, especially the thinner casting used on shorter travel/cost reduced versions with QR! Those castings can do a neat X Up trick all on there own 😀

Hard to see past the Mattoc Pro at the moment, although not the stoutest available. Manitou seem to make upgrade/cross grade parts available at reasonableish prices, unlike SRAM, where you have to source parts from ebay in Uzbekistan or pay a kings ransom and sacrifice your children to the suspension gods.

bsims
    Free Member

Just stiffer than the 32 will do so lighter weight 34mm stancions will be fine. This bike does not do the gnarliest riding.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Hard to see past the Mattoc Pro at the moment, although not the stoutest available. Manitou seem to make upgrade/cross grade parts available at reasonableish prices

I’ve not really noticed any more flex coming from Yari’s. They’re seem to hold heir own in the reviews on the stiffness front.

bsims
    Free Member

Thanks for your thoughts everyone who replied.

I like the Sweep RL2s on my other bike, so I will move them to the BFe 275 and get some Sweep HLRs for that one.

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Rigid?

dont knock it til you’ve tried it, your climbing will improve no end and flex will not be a problem.  I rode 75k at Honc this weekend on a Stanton with 650g carbon fork and had a blast.

Suspension is overrated for cross country riding. Next thing you know you’ll switch to singlespeed, save weight, save maintenance, get fitter, leave your mates in your wake and enjoy your riding even more.

it’s a thought.

bsims
    Free Member

bruceonabike

What materials/ shapes should I look for in a rigid fork?

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Steel is springier (and real) but carbon lighter obviously.

check out Salsa and Surly for quality steel or Carbon Cycles for value for money carbon.

Bladed carbon looks neater but not essential.

I’m currently running a Van Nicholas VNT on my Sherpa 29er but use a Surly Krampus 110 when using 27.5+ wheels.

Avoid the cheap Chinese carbon on eBay,

kayla1
    Free Member

I got some Identiti XL 1420 rigid dirt jumping forks to try a year or so ago- they’re not light but they don’t bend!

bsims
    Free Member

I have finally got the sweep roughcuts, they are a big step up from the rl2 damper. Much more supple at the start,  so much more comfortable on the trail. Mid stroke support is not as good (I have yet to start tinkering with Compression and rebound, I have factory settings still).  The issue I have with the rl2 is that it is either too firm or collapses on fast descents . The roughcut damper has removed this problem without any adjustments when set at the same air pressure.

For anyone thinking of buying a fork x fusion is definitely worth a look and if you have the budget, the extra £100 for the hlr is definitely  worth it. For my ability and amount of riding I just can’t see that a pike or 34 would be worth hundreds of pounds more.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Recomend me a fork..’ is closed to new replies.