Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Recomend a whisky not like talisker 18
  • sefton
    Free Member

I know nothing apart from the bottle of talisker 18 I once bought is horrible imo. Not into all that spice.

Not sure what all the other “notes” are.

Something under 50quid?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 is going down far too well here at the moment.

If not, Yamazaki Distiller’s Reserve.

dissonance

Tomatin 14yo.
    Highland Park
    Balvenies are always good although prefer the triple wood

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’d say Tomatin is the most unpleasant whisky I’ve ever had.

Clynelish is pretty opposite to Talisker and is very nice.

Garry_Lager

Ardbeg ten v reliable, if somewhat predictable for a recommendation – I like islays but don’t usually enjoy Talisker, has a note to it that doesn’t agree with me.

Was it some sort of special edition that tasted spicy? Not a usual description but I guess it could mean many things.

athgray
    Free Member

I cant take to Talisker, but for a whisky nothing like it you have to rule out pleated malts. I would say

Balvenie Doublewood
    Macallan Gold
    Glenfarclas
    Dalmore
    Glen Elgin
    Glendronach
    Bhunnahabhain
    Yamazaki
    Bushmills

mrb123
    Free Member

Dalwhinnie 15 or the aforementioned Glenfarclas or Dalmore.

locum76
    Free Member

Lagavulin. Pedro Jimenez Cask. 24yo.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d play it safe with a bottle of glenmorangie 10 year old.

Well under budget but also one of the best balanced and delicious single malts I’ve enjoyed, and I’ve had quite a few.

Must get a bottle myself actually.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whyte and mackay.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Sounds like you want a Highland or irish rather than island malt if by “spicy” you mean peaty. For 50 notes you could get a nice sherry or port single cask from some of the bigger Speyside distillers

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

+1 for the Glenfarclas suggestion above, very drinkable.

Also, try Auchentoshan Three Wood – very smooth with lovely flavours.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Also – Mount Gay XO.

😉

augustuswindsock

Got given a bottle of talisker last Xmas, it actually sent me a bit loopy, just a glass genuinely put me in a really foul mood!!

leeroysilk
    Free Member

I suggest trying Glengoyne. Lowland distillery, exceptionally smooth flavour, not in the least bit peaty / iodine.
    There’s a notable taste difference between the 12yo and 18yo, the difference between 18yo and 21yo is less noticeable aside from the cost.

metalheart
    Free Member

Bruichladdich – The Classic Laddie. You can’t miss it, it comes in a turquoise bottle (subtle!)

I had some of this the other month (I thought I was getting a different islay…).

It’ll be my next bottle for sure.

Unpeated islay, don’t know, but I loved it (my normal favourite is caol isla which is definitely peated….)

pandhandj
    Free Member

Cardhu

johnners
    Free Member

Aberlour 16 is about as un-islandy as you can get just within budget. Failing that, the 12.

13thfloormonk

Is Talisker peated? I’ve recently learnt that apparently there is a difference between ‘peated’ and ‘smokey’ when I had always thought they were one and the same.

I have a very blunt palate, all I know is that I love peated Islay whiskies, whereas anything else (Talisker included) now just seems too sweet in comparison.

I’d say just get a basic Laphroaig and see what you think, it’s probably as ‘different’ a flavour as you’re likely to find! 😁

xraymtb
    Free Member

Balvenie Double Wood
    Macallan
    Cardhu
    Dalwhinnie 15

Any of those would go down well. Aberfeldy 12 is decent as well and I believe on offer at Tesco at the moment (at least it was last week).

johnners
    Free Member

I’d say just get a basic Laphroaig and see what you think, it’s probably as ‘different’ a flavour as you’re likely to find!

If it’s the fairly mild peating (IMO) of Taliskers the OPO’s finding objectionable then I’d suggest that’s NOT the way to go! What are you going to suggest next, Lagavulin 16?

13thfloormonk

Well first, I’ve never heard of peated whiskies being referred to as ‘spicy’, that term seems to get used to describe heavily sherried whiskies.

Secondly, in my admittedly limited experience, Talisker doesn’t seem to bear much relation to any of the peated Islays, however if someone can confirm that Talisker dry their mash with peat smoke then I’ll hold my hands up as a total phillipine and never trouble a whisky thread again…

Basically I find most whiskies too sweet and/or rich, whilst peated Islays seem lighter and ‘cleaner’ to taste.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Recomend a whisky not like talisker 18’ is closed to new replies.