Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recipe book on ipad.
  • zippykona

My wife insists on keeping millions of magazines as they contain one recipe she wants.
    I can scan the page and make a folder in the photo album of the recipes.
    Is there better way of doing it?
    Yes I know she could tear the page out and put it in a folder but that would be too easy.

zilog6128

I use an app called Paprika to store all my recipes. It’s great, even makes your shopping list for you! If you can find the recipe online it’s a doddle as it can import a recipe straight from a website, otherwise you have to type it in manually. Obviously this is a bit more work than just storing a scan of the recipe but it makes organising/searching/etc a lot easier, plus it means you can easily customise the recipe.

spacemonkey

+1 Paprika. It’s compatible (ie it will download all recipe info) with most of the main foody sites plus you can enter/edit stuff manually. Very good app.

enfht
    Free Member

1. Take one shiny new iPad
    2. Coat generously in fanboy jizz
    3. Bake for 50 mins in the centre of an oven at gas mark six.
    4. Throw melted iPad in the bin.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wow, someone’s jealous of the bigger boys’ toys.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Scanning the recipes is a good idea, then recycle paper magazine.

What you do next is up to you, you can copy/export the images into iBooks and organize by type (e.g. European, Asian, Main Course, Desert etc). On a Mac (and probably windows too) you can create your own PDF’s and add recipes to one file or perhaps one PDF per type as above. I keep stuff like this in iBooks as I find it easier to navigate than Photos organised by Events or Albums.

zippykona

I got a mac book pro and don’t know how to use it.
    That will really piss him off.

geoffj

Evernote is good for this. It’ll deal with the scans, you can add tags etc. and you can maintain it / do the data entry on a proper computer. Share it with your smart phone and you have it to go shopping.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@zippy – that’s right I remember your MBP thread now

Evernote has been recommended to me but I thought it was quite expensive so I never signed up

For my iBooks PDF idea you can do as follows;

On your MBP you can use Preview to create and maintain PDF files (under file menu – Open file of scan, then export as pdf, when you have a pdf you can add new pages and re export/save). This PDF document can then be loaded into iBooks and snync’d with the iPad via iTunes (inc wirelessly)

geoffj

Evernote has been recommended to me but I thought it was quite expensive so I never signed up

I’ve never paid for it. The free account is pretty good.

mogrim

Springpad’s a pretty good alternative to Evernote if you want to try something different, also runs as an app on Chrome which can be handy if you want to sync recipes & notes from your PC.

tang
    Free Member

Genius scan is a great app and would work. Create a JPEG or PDF from the camera.

CountZero

Another Genius Scan user here, just scan the recipes, then put them into iBooks: basically you use the app the take a scan/photo, then the app puts a grid across, allowing you to drag the corners in to the corners of the page, or wherever, you crop, and it saves a PDF, which you can then put into iBooks. I use it for scanning band setlists, so I can email a copy to a mate.

enfht
    Free Member

Wow, someone’s jealous of the bigger boys’ toys.

Whereas you’re jealous of the jizz covered iPad..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh I dunno enfht…something negative inside must have provoked your particularly unhelpful response…so what was it? It’s so unlike you to be such an arse.

Drac

Scanner Pro will ermmm scan them. It was free yesterday not sure if it still is.

Whereas you’re jealous of the jizz covered iPad..

Sounds like it’s past your bedtime, off you go up the wooden hill you have play school tomorrow.

spacemonkey

I’ve never paid for it. The free account is pretty good

+1 Evernote too. Been using the free version for years as it’s always done what I wanted it for. I have about 200 recipes on their (tagged according to chef, style of food, type of dish etc). Easy to use as it does indeed handle PDFs and scans etc.

While Evernote houses my old recipes, all the new ones get bunged into Paprika so my vote would be to use both in a similar way.

peteimpreza

Scanner Pro is still free in the App Store , you could scan them in as PDFs and store them in iBooks or use Evernote.

zippykona

Have used Evernote. Scanned to mac and then somehow it’s on the iPad.
    Mrs Zip is happy and I look like a genius.
    She even made me a cuppa. Thanks to you all.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recipe book on ipad.’ is closed to new replies.